Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
blackrose

Boat horn

Featured Posts

Just bought a cheap boat horn from eBay. It's supposed to be marine grade but as it has this big hole in the back of the casing where the 12v cables go in I don't see how it can be waterproof. It's completely exposed where I mount it and I'm thinking of sending it back for a refund. The horn opening is on the other side so either way around it will get water inside no matter how I mount it. Before I return it does anyone know if the water will drain without going inside? I can't unscrew and get the casing off to have a look without damaging it. 

 

Thanks

IMG_20190327_162100_6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most car horns used to be fitted out in the rain, no problem.   I had a nice windtone from a scrap lorry, can't get cheaper than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of these. Far louder. I have a car horn as well, mounted under the gunwale in the front well deck out of the rain. £10 from Halfords. Survived OK for many years, but I use the Acme horn more often as it is quicker to reach for than the switch and a lot louder. The Acme horn has a more nautical sound than the car horn, so more likely to grab attention when boating, rather than ignored by the boat about to crash in to you. The supposed marine electric horn it replaced, mounted in the open, didn't last long.

 

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

nautical sound

Can you play 'HMS Pinafore' on it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks very like a railway lookout’s warning horn used to warn track workers of an approaching train. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Just that from previous experience they don't like getting water inside. That's why I'm replacing it now.

If the replacement horns are cheap, why not fit one, then when it stops working, buy another? Seems an ideal plan to me - and nobody will pinch your expensive horn, because you ain't got one!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Just bought a cheap boat horn from eBay. It's supposed to be marine grade but as it has this big hole in the back of the casing where the 12v cables go in I don't see how it can be waterproof. It's completely exposed where I mount it and I'm thinking of sending it back for a refund. The horn opening is on the other side so either way around it will get water inside no matter how I mount it. Before I return it does anyone know if the water will drain without going inside? I can't unscrew and get the casing off to have a look without damaging it. 

 

Thanks

IMG_20190327_162100_6.jpg

I wonder what they mean by the term Marine Grade? I suspect that it means that if fitted on a boat it automatically doubles in price.

 

Howard

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of these. Far louder. I have a car horn as well, mounted under the gunwale in the front well deck out of the rain. £10 from Halfords. Survived OK for many years, but I use the Acme horn more often as it is quicker to reach for than the switch and a lot louder. The Acme horn has a more nautical sound than the car horn, so more likely to grab attention when boating, rather than ignored by the boat about to crash in to you. The supposed marine electric horn it replaced, mounted in the open, didn't last long.

 

Jen

They're not cheap considering you have to provide the power from your own lungs!

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If the replacement horns are cheap, why not fit one, then when it stops working, buy another? Seems an ideal plan to me - and nobody will pinch your expensive horn, because you ain't got one!.

Because unfortunately one usually finds out that a horn is no longer working just when it's required. Even if you test it just before you set off it's too late. I want a horn that's waterproof and reliable and I'm not sure there's necessarily a correlation between cost and reliability.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of these. Far louder. I have a car horn as well, mounted under the gunwale in the front well deck out of the rain. £10 from Halfords. Survived OK for many years, but I use the Acme horn more often as it is quicker to reach for than the switch and a lot louder. The Acme horn has a more nautical sound than the car horn, so more likely to grab attention when boating, rather than ignored by the boat about to crash in to you. The supposed marine electric horn it replaced, mounted in the open, didn't last long.

 

Jen

One of "These" had historical authenticity:

 

 

18839370_1933588253553828_5875923546374873189_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of these. Far louder. I have a car horn as well, mounted under the gunwale in the front well deck out of the rain. £10 from Halfords. Survived OK for many years, but I use the Acme horn more often as it is quicker to reach for than the switch and a lot louder. The Acme horn has a more nautical sound than the car horn, so more likely to grab attention when boating, rather than ignored by the boat about to crash in to you. The supposed marine electric horn it replaced, mounted in the open, didn't last long.

 

Jen

That looks like a railway lookouts horn and my god those things are loud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That one in Jens link is the same kind I blew at you when passing a few years back OP (dunno if you heard it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas horns are brilliant, moocho louder than the 12 volt jobbies. Cost peanuts on fleabay, last for years. We kept a couple on the Princess for emergencies and they were very loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We kept a couple on the Princess for emergencies and they were very loud.

Your knicked

23237.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 53 years of boating, my ninth boat and losing 3 decent horns to light fingered scrotes I now use a rechargeable cyclists' air horn. 

It is freekin loud!! ….. and can't be knicked as it is portable and stays inside until on the move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray T said:

One of "These" had historical authenticity:

An electric horn would not be much use on a horse boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mike55 said:

That looks very like a railway lookout’s warning horn used to warn track workers of an approaching train. 

 

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

That looks like a railway lookouts horn and my god those things are loud

 

almost, - railway ones had B.R. moulded into the plastic, at least the one I have does !

same piece of kit - and yes bloody loud, but not acceptable for harecastle.

 

springy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, springy said:

 

 

almost, - railway ones had B.R. moulded into the plastic, at least the one I have does !

same piece of kit - and yes bloody loud, but not acceptable for harecastle.

 

springy

 

I bin through Harecastle with a brass hunting horn thing. 

 

What is the Harecastle requirement then?

 

(One of these)

 

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

went through about 12 months ago & were required to have a "powered" horn for emergency signals, 

a canister powered air horn was deemed acceptable

 

springy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, springy said:

went through about 12 months ago & were required to have a "powered" horn for emergency signals, 

a canister powered air horn was deemed acceptable

 

springy

Were you the boat ahead of us who were lent an air horn by CRT and nearly forgot to return it at the other end? :D

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we did borrow one, but dutifully handed it at the southern portal, we were first through on that day and no

one followed us in, besides my bugle playing is rubbish !

 

springy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Gas horns are brilliant, moocho louder than the 12 volt jobbies. Cost peanuts on fleabay, last for years. We kept a couple on the Princess for emergencies and they were very loud.

I can never get up enough gas on demand to use one..............

 

We have a coiled hunting horn as well as the electric peeper on the front, takes a bit of puff to blow though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.