Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
blackrose

Boat horn

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

Because unfortunately one usually finds out that a horn is no longer working just when it's required. Even if you test it just before you set off it's too late. I want a horn that's waterproof and reliable and I'm not sure there's necessarily a correlation between cost and reliability.

 

Do you test the horn on your BMW before you set off in the morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still on the first canister for our compressed air horn after twenty years. It's loud enough to scare the missus at the other end of the boat and cost peanuts.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just binned my manual one cos it seemed to have stopped working, now realised it had the air-hole on the side, that;s another £3.75 down the drain. ?

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fitted a pair of second hand Audi horns on Helvetia. Only cost a fiver and could be heard over engine noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I fitted a pair of second hand Audi horns on Helvetia. Only cost a fiver and could be heard over engine noise.

You could probably have got second-hand VW horns for £4, and Skoda horns for £3, and they would all have been identical!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I have to make do with an oooh Gaaa  (klaxon type) instead..

I had one of those, but it didn't make much impression on the Bridgekeepers on the Gloucester Ship Canal.  That's when I got the Windtone off an old lorry.  Much better response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

You could probably have got second-hand VW horns for £4, and Skoda horns for £3, and they would all have been identical!

I realise that is intended to be an ironic joke, but I actually tested several at the specialist VW breakersm, and the Audi ones were definitely louder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I realise that is intended to be an ironic joke, but I actually tested several at the specialist VW breakersm, and the Audi ones were definitely louder.

On the other hand, Audi indicators from a breakers will be in very good condition, due to their lack of use, but very cheap as there is no demand.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Audi ones are louder cos they have four springs. They utilise the "four sprung hupe technique"

 

Ok,Ok.....i'm going....tough crowd.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The Audi ones are louder cos they have four springs. They utilise the "four sprung hupe technique"

 

Ok,Ok.....i'm going....tough crowd.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Its always been a tough crowd - how did you last this long?  ;)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Its always been a tough crowd - how did you last this long?  ;)

 

I would have thought that most of us should be well marinaded by now. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I would have thought that most of us should be well marinaded by now. :D

 

Speak for yerself. I've been marinised since 1999.

 

I thought about getting myself de-marinised, but can't afford the divorce. 

Edited by rusty69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.