Personally, I lived aboard a 55ft boat for nearly five years, albeit in a marina, so perhaps that's cheating somewhat. With my dog and me aboard, it was comfortable and, for the most part, offered plenty of space. However, if I were significantly taller or larger, I might feel differently. Redundancy was key. Having more than one way to heat water, heat the boat and generate electricity gave valuable peace of mind. I have a 30ft boat now. It's fine for weekends, but I wouldn't want to use it for much more than that. The people moored next to me live on a similar-sized boat, a larger-than-life couple with a cat. Kudos to them, but it definitely wouldn't be for me. That said, it just goes to show that people do make it work. Generally, the longer the boat, the greater the comfort. It's also worth remembering that running costs increase with length, so that's something to consider before rushing out to buy a 70ft boat. There's a reason they're often cheaper to buy than their 57ft counterparts. Given you're already coming into this with the premise of "Is it too small?" and "What about my washing machine?", I'd probably recommend 50ft or longer. Space is at a premium, more so the shorter you go. If I were buying a liveaboard again, I'd probably aim for around 57ft. They typically accommodate a decent bathroom, saloon, separate sleeping cabin, dinette and a good-sized galley without compromising too much, despite the width limitations of a narrowboat. Disagree. - The OP is simply looking for perspectives, which will help them consider things they may not have thought of, thus giving them a more informed view in the absence of first-hand experience. We should welcome and encourage this on CWDF.