Secret Codes for Fuel Boats

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Once saw a coal boat coming through the lock we were in the queue for, they put coal on the lockside and we loaded it when we went in. We also stopped by a diesel boat on the GU but they said they were on their home mooring and so could not sell to us, they were only allowed to sell when away, this may be because their home mooring was next to a boat yard.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a boat moored a few miles south of Great Hayward that advertises diesel for sale but I've no idea how to get hold of anyone there as there never seems anyone around.  Anyone know?

That would be Dexta, it dosent move, you have to go to him. Closed last time I passed, cash only.

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a boat moored a few miles south of Great Hayward that advertises diesel for sale but I've no idea how to get hold of anyone there as there never seems anyone around.  Anyone know?

Stop and walk up to the buildings (they look ramshackle and abandoned) that's where you will find Dexta.

44 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My sister used to keep her boat on their moorings, but it seemed an odd set up to me. She later moved to Great Haywood before selling up about two years ago :captain:

"In flight refuelling" from Alton a few years ago, (Marple flight to be exact).

It's certainly not necessary to tie up to be served by a fuel boat, (though being at least loosely tied to each other is  sensible!)

In fact it is George (furnessvale) at the tiller of Alton on this occasion.

Brian+Alton.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

"In flight refuelling" from Alton a few years ago, (Marple flight to be exact).

It's certainly not necessary to tie up to be served by a fuel boat, (though being at least loosely tied to each other is  sensible!)

In fact it is George (furnessvale) at the tiller of Alton on this occasion.

Brian+Alton.jpg

That's why I love coal boating these days.  It is always AnnMarie or Brian doing the hard work leaving me on the tiller!

George

36 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

That's why I love coal boating these days.  It is always AnnMarie or Brian doing the hard work leaving me on the tiller!

“I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.” 
― Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

or

“I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.” 
― Jerome K. Jerome

• Greenie 1

What you need is my all new Rusty fuel app (pat pending), available for android and iPhone in all good stores. 

Download app and enter fuel requirements in my easy to user traffic light based system. Be sure to enable location on your phone, so that passing fuel boats can assess your location and requirements. 

Red = I am in imminent danger of running out of fuel and am unlikely to make it to the next pub. Situation critical

Amber= I am able to make it to the next pub, but maybe not that nice one with the lovely barmaid and fine beer. Please fill me up if you have time. 

Green = My tank is >90% full. Please feel free to syphon some at your convenience. 

WiFi plugin real traffic light available as optional extra to mount on your trad stern deck (other deck options not available) 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What you need is my all new Rusty fuel app (pat pending), available for android and iPhone in all good stores. 

Download app and enter fuel requirements in my easy to user traffic light based system. Be sure to enable location on your phone, so that passing fuel boats can assess your location and requirements. 

Red = I am in imminent danger of running out of fuel and am unlikely to make it to the next pub. Situation critical

Amber= I am able to make it to the next pub, but maybe not that nice one with the lovely barmaid and fine beer. Please fill me up if you have time. 

Green = My tank is >90% full. Please feel free to syphon some at your convenience. 

WiFi plugin real traffic light available as optional extra to mount on your trad stern deck (other deck options not available) 

GENIUS! Thanks Rusty! That app is exactly what I'm looking for, but possibly with a few little tweaks?

Wondering if it could be modified? Some suggestions:

In the summer months, when there's not much call for coal, could the app be modified to send out an 'undetected by human ears' sound, such as the sound an hungry/angry spider would make, for the purpose of keeping mosquitos at bay? 

How about a 'speed detector'? When we're moored and a boat's passes us at speed, perhaps the app could shout out a few profanities for us? That'll save us a lot of bother!

Other alarm sensors/scarers for; dogs piddling up mooring ropes, early hungry ducks, detecting a good wifi/TV signal before we stop to moor...

SERIOUSLY THOUGH - Thank you everyone for your help and advice, reading other's experiences is great ?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

My boat, along with many others already has the red and green lights installed. Red on the port side, green on the starboard. Just need to get the amber one and download the app.

Jen

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rusty69 said:

And no light of any colour means I need fuel, I have run my tank dry trying to generate enough electricity to keep one of those lights on permanently.

• Haha 2