DIY filling up batteries

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I believe the correct method is to hold the required number of AAA batteries in one hand, and use the other hand to control urination onto the power line. I've been told it works for AA's and 9v as well if required.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Surely it'll be almost as simple as the diy charging of gas bottles?  Anyway, as long as you can attest to being a 'risk taker',  what could possibly go wrong? 

(Don't try this at home, children)  ;)

Surely not - doesn't 'pylon eletrickery' go up and down, whilst battery electrickery goes in a straight line ?

All the currants would jump out.

Pylons typically carry electricity at between 10,000V and 100,000V iirc, so not ideal for recharging 1.5V AAA size batteries. Might be ok if you wear rubber gloves and use a fibreglass step ladder though. 

Another problem is the pylons carry three phase AC do you’ll need a diode. 

Hope that helps. 

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No need to buy an expensive inverting-inverter. Just turn your ordinary inverter upside down.

Jen

I'd considered that but discounted it on the basis that in Australia an inverter (which is of course inverted) still inverts - so - an inverting-inverter* it must be.

* An Inverter takes DC low voltage and changes it to AC high voltage, therefore and inverting-inverter does the opposite.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd considered that but discounted it on the basis that in Australia an inverter (which is of course inverted) still inverts - so - an inverting-inverter* it must be.

* An Inverter takes DC low voltage and changes it to AC high voltage, therefore and inverting-inverter does the opposite.

In Australia AC is 180 degrees out of phase with AC in the northern hemisphere. At the equator AC doesn't work at all and people have to use DC only.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Because the northern and southern phases are 180 degrees opposed, they cancel out at the equator

That's it. The further north or south you go the higher the AC voltage gets. All to do with with the coriollis force. You can vaporise bread instantly if you use a toaster at the south pole base.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pylons typically carry electricity at between 10,000V and 100,000V iirc, so not ideal for recharging 1.5V AAA size batteries. Might be ok if you wear rubber gloves and use a fibreglass step ladder though. 

Another problem is the pylons carry three phase AC do you’ll need a diode. 

Hope that helps. 

You are a bit pessimistic there Mike, the highest voltage used on the National Grid is 400,000 volts, lowest is 11,000 volts.

I have it on good authority that electricity companies refer to "pylons" as towers.

Wot I was told by the EMEB when I worked for BT.

Definition of pylon

1 a : a usually massive gateway
b : an ancient Egyptian gateway building in a truncated pyramidal form
c : a monumental mass flanking an entranceway or an approach to a bridge
2 a chiefly British : a tower for supporting either end of usually a number of wires over a long span
b : any of various towerlike structures

Origin of pylon

First recorded in 1840–50, pylon is from the Greek word pylṓn gateway, gate tower
Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

I have it on good authority that electricity companies refer to "pylons" as towers.

Wot I was told by the EMEB when I worked for BT.

Definition of pylon

1 a : a usually massive gateway
b : an ancient Egyptian gateway building in a truncated pyramidal form
c : a monumental mass flanking an entranceway or an approach to a bridge
2 a chiefly British : a tower for supporting either end of usually a number of wires over a long span
b : any of various towerlike structures

When I was a school a 'pile-on' was a heap of bodies all piled-on until the bottom one suffocated.

so adding :

3 a : A heap of school children.

my friend did several work periods at the south pole base. He said the internet went really fast there too. He also got divorced started describing penguins in a strange fashion and wouldnt go out in the light.

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That's it. The further north or south you go the higher the AC voltage gets. All to do with with the coriollis force. You can vaporise bread instantly if you use a toaster at the south pole base.

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My son lives in Melbourne (Oz not Derbyshire). If I run a wire between his house and mine, can I use the phase difference to let me extract the volts to charge my batteries?

6 minutes ago, dor said:

My son lives in Melbourne (Oz not Derbyshire). If I run a wire between his house and mine, can I use the phase difference to let me extract the volts to charge my batteries?

Should be OK as long as you use the correct size having worked out the Volt drop over the 16,798km