Narrowboat handymen

SarahTnarrowboat

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, dogless said:

I'd personally be amazed if the newbie ever returns, so don't let it worry you.

Rog

In fact she was last here two hours ago, so no, there is no need to worry, I'm pleased to say.

On 18/08/2018 at 12:38, rusty69 said:

Didn't he write Odysseus in Italian?

This topic really got very confusing, and perhaps the following will be helpful.

Homer wrote the Odyssey in ancient Greek, featuring a central character called Odysseus, who visited parts of Italy during the story.

The Irish writer James Joyce wrote Ulysses (in English I suppose) featuring a character based upon Odysseus, in a rather rambling style known to literary types (i.e. not me) as "stream of conciousness", and I guess Athy may have been referring to that and the style of haza's post.

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

This topic really got very confusing, and perhaps the following will be helpful.

Homer wrote the Odyssey in ancient Greek, featuring a central character called Odysseus, who visited parts of Italy during the story.

The Irish writer James Joyce wrote Ulysses (in English I suppose) featuring a character based upon Odysseus, in a rather rambling style known to literary types (i.e. not me) as "stream of conciousness", and I guess Athy may have been referring to that and the style of haza's post.

Yeah. I was just messing about.Unusual for me, I know!

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

My sister has a composting toilet, they pour the urine down the toilet on one of the other boats (on our lands moorings) which goes straight into the river (Great Ouse) they compost the other waste using the '3 bucket system' and save a fortune not having to buy compost for the flowers on the roof ?

I'm intrigued - at the risk of being told to mind my own business (pun absolutely intended) can I ask what this 3 bucket system is?

yes and in haza s defence he is dxlexic and as a trouble with composiing things he writes but he does try to not let that get that in the way ,but hey worse things happen at sea ,,he as also been compered to chauser ...so maybe someone out there could enlighten us who that guy is and now dought some bright spark will lol

1 hour ago, haza said:

yes and in haza s defence he is dxlexic and as a trouble with composiing things he writes but he does try to not let that get that in the way ,but hey worse things happen at sea ,,he as also been compered to chauser ...so maybe someone out there could enlighten us who that guy is and now dought some bright spark will lol

Chaucer wrote the Canterbury Tales in the Middle Ages: story telling on a grand scale, not easy to read in the 21st Century.

Here bygynneth the Book of the tales of Caunterbury

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote, 
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote, 
And bathed every veyne in swich licóur 
Of which vertú engendred is the flour; 
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth 
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth 
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne 
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne, 
And smale foweles maken melodye, 
-----------------------------------------
that's just a few notes to get you in to the swing of things ............
Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, RLWP said:

This thread has probably got too poisonous now for proper discussion. I'd certainly like to know more about the use of composting toilets and the safe disposal of their products. Not that I want one, they wouldn't suit our boat usage and I'm too squeamish to go messing about with human waste.

Richard

That's interesting Richard as I know people who can't face emptying a porta-potty but are more than happy to service their composting loo. Me I am not bothered, I have a pump out because I wouldn't be able to remove, carry and dispose of a cassette all the time. If I was fitting the boat today I would consider composting but I am still not sure its there yet. As for incineration, for me that's a big no no.

I do hope I haven't offended anyone with this posting only Richard's comment brought it out. 

oh thank you lady g i get it now, that passage  did  maketh my heart flutter with its melodic  tones , would you not say chaucer scrible.s in the same  vain as the bard  or was he much earlier then billy ,,

7 hours ago, haza said:

oh thank you lady g i get it now, that passage  did  maketh my heart flutter with its melodic  tones , would you not say chaucer scrible.s in the same  vain as the bard  or was he much earlier then billy ,,

Yes, over 200 years earlier.

36 minutes ago, haza said:

bard  not bart ,,some one else dont no how to spell  ignoramus  

I must protest. I do know how to spell ignoranus! 

(don't worry, most people ignore me anyway ) :)

Edited by rusty69

On 19 August 2018 at 07:54, cereal tiller said:

Would have thought that the approved method of Effluent Disposal is every bodies business?

I would have to agree. A couple of months ago I parked near a bmw mini and glanced down and I kid you not both front tyres were showing canvas so worn out they were. As luck would have it the owner walked back to it whilst I was locking mine up and as it was a youngish bloke I politely passed comment that I didn't know if he realised how bad his tyres were, to which his girlfriend? Snapped what's it to do with you it's non of your business. I responded politely and explained that myself my wife my five kids and their kids all used the road system and if they skidded in the wet and injured one etc etc. He looked sheepish and nodded but what never ceases to amaze me is some, in fact many people don't realise how their habits/conduct effect everyone around them.

On 18 August 2018 at 14:18, Meanderingviking said:

Athy see my comment above, there have been quite a few comments that I have read on threads that have come across as quite vitriolic and I have felt like asking for my details to be taken off the site as I don't want to be associated with it and it has most definately dissuaded me from commenting. A couple of new posters have been given a rough ride right from the start never to be seen again. 

Oh you've got a fat boat you shouldn't be allowed to post innitt ?

On 19/08/2018 at 15:55, Neil2 said:

I'm intrigued - at the risk of being told to mind my own business (pun absolutely intended) can I ask what this 3 bucket system is?

If anyone is interested in talking shit, head over to the Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/compostingloos/?ref=group_header there's loads of info in the files

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It appears you need a password.

I think you just join the group, that's what I did, it's worth it as there is loads of info. Mind you as with all things 'Facebook' there's a fair amount of bollocks but there is a lot of sensible information as well and pointers to where to get info from the EA and planning etc.

https://www.eco-loo.co.uk/  another site, I don't personally know this company. Also you may hear about incinerating toilets. They are not composting toilets and require a lot of energy gas/electric so don't really tick any green credentials either

Edited by Clodi
Add info

8 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I think you just join the group, that's what I did, it's worth it as there is loads of info. Mind you as with all things 'Facebook' there's a fair amount of bollocks but there is a lot of sensible information as well and pointers to where to get info from the EA and planning etc.

https://www.eco-loo.co.uk/  another site, I don't personally know this company. Also you may hear about incinerating toilets. They are not composting toilets and require a lot of energy gas/electric so don't really tick any green credentials either

I apparently needed a pass word to get onto facebook (whatever that is)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I apparently needed a pass word to get onto facebook (whatever that is)

That is something I can't really help you with, it's the reason I ended up with the name Clodi ( in full Clodi Oldgit Richards) the 'oldgit' seems to be a hangover from when my kids used to take great delight killing me on the Playstation I had the name 'lostoldgit', my real name is Clive but when you join Facebook you have to set your profile and thats how I became Clodi. I have no idea what my password is I rely on google to remember it ?

3 minutes ago, Clodi said:

That is something I can't really help you with, it's the reason I ended up with the name Clodi ( in full Clodi Oldgit Richards) the 'oldgit' seems to be a hangover from when my kids used to take great delight killing me on the Playstation I had the name 'lostoldgit', my real name is Clive but when you join Facebook you have to set your profile and thats how I became Clodi. I have no idea what my password is I rely on google to remember it ?

I don't think you need to worry about remembering it - just ask any of the millions of people that Farcebook have sold (or lost) your personal details to, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you.

• Greenie 1