Narrowboat handymen

SarahTnarrowboat

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I( don't think anyone considers you a coward, Haza.

Sarcasm means saying the opposite of what you mean. I haven't noticed anyone doing that in this thread.

Have you evidence that there are fewer posts made theses days? 

Athy see my comment above, there have been quite a few comments that I have read on threads that have come across as quite vitriolic and I have felt like asking for my details to be taken off the site as I don't want to be associated with it and it has most definately dissuaded me from commenting. A couple of new posters have been given a rough ride right from the start never to be seen again. 

19 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

You could try Baxters Boatfitters at Yardley Gobion - or possibly the hire company Wyvern Shipping at Leighton Buzzard

Thank you,

18 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

It’s W&T on this forum

And thank you,

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have been trying to search the forum for posts from someone who wants to offer such a service but I cant find them. From another forum I know his name is Neil Bentley. I am not recommending him as I do not know his work but he is a time served coach builder.

And thank you.

18 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Hi SarahTnarrowboat welcome to the forum, there is a boatyard just south of Milton Keynes called Willowbridge who could probably point you in the right direction though do check prices. Wyvern Shipping Company and Boat Shop in Leighton Buzzard provide boat services too, so may be able to help. You'll get their numbers off t'internet.  Hope this helps a bit and I can recommend a mobile marine engineer should you need one. Please ignore some of the more abrasive comments, it seems to have become a bit commonplace on here towards new comers! Good Luck and enjoy your boat.

Thanks Meanderingviking, I do love a bit of research so will make sure to check prices etc. Will let you know if that marine engineer will come in useful! Thank you, already enjoying very much.

38 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Athy see my comment above, there have been quite a few comments that I have read on threads that have come across as quite vitriolic and I have felt like asking for my details to be taken off the site as I don't want to be associated with it and it has most definately dissuaded me from commenting. A couple of new posters have been given a rough ride right from the start never to be seen again. 

Thanks for those comments, which are noted.

21 hours ago, rusty69 said:

You could try @W+T of this forum,although I am not sure where he is based, he has a thread on here somewhere.

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

North Manchester, so not really ideal for the OP.

Oh i do travel, been on a few jobs to Southampton and Essex not long ago, most jobs in fact have all been a few hours south of Manchester.   

20 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

There’s a bloke on Thunderboat who has recently set up as a boat handyman after fitting out his on boat. Try asking the same questions there?

Thanks for the heads up by PM ;) 

Yep that bloke is me, either Waynes World over there or W+T here 

@SarahT

If you click on the link below it will take you to my face book page for you to see what I do. 

All my details are on there, let me know if I can help out.  Or PM me on here.

I dont mind travelling but distance does matter on the time scale of the job, I will travel your distance for a minimum weekends work for instance.

Wayne ;)

no i dont have evidence .it was an  observation on my part thats all, and i ask  if any one else had noticed as now one said they had .i must have got that wrong also ...as i am sure some one off canalword would have pointed that out to me im sure ..someone more with a  better understanding of english and spelling im sure .oh well we can not have every thing hay 

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, SarahTnarrowboat said:

An answer for a different topic. Just looking for handyman advice. Thanks :)

I do not think that the person who starts a topic can dictate were that topic goes. Some try and often upset people. If you know the proper methods of disposal then please put something back into the forum by telling us or simply say that you only know what you have been told and its is this ..........................

While its clear you only wanted handyman contacts it was the information you gave that caused the topic to go "off course" from your point of view but tha's what topics on forums do.People who just take and do not give tend to be not very popular.

On 17/08/2018 at 18:34, David Mack said:

North Manchester, so not really ideal for the OP.

7 hours ago, W+T said:

Oh i do travel, been on a few jobs to Southampton and Essex not long ago, most jobs in fact have all been a few hours south of Manchester.   

Sorry Wayne. I didn't mean to discourage anyone from offering you work!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I do not think that the person who starts a topic can dictate were that topic goes. Some try and often upset people. If you know the proper methods of disposal then please put something back into the forum by telling us or simply say that you only know what you have been told and its is this ..........................

While its clear you only wanted handyman contacts it was the information you gave that caused the topic to go "off course" from your point of view but tha's what topics on forums do.People who just take and do not give tend to be not very popular.

So now the OP might not be popular because she chooses not to discuss in this topic an aspect she has researched and may not want to divulge for her own reasons?   She has been utterly polite and thankful for replies received to the question she asked, and even polite to those comments she did not ask for...she pointed out she was sorted regarding the waste and does not need to explain for the benefit of others on here just exactly what she plans to do with it. 

Edited by Guest
angry misspelling!

Just now, cereal tiller said:

Would have thought that the approved method of Effluent Disposal is every bodies business?

This. 

To come into a forum asking for advice, then claiming to have informed knowledge on a tangential subject but refusing to share that knowledge, strikes me as a poor show. Bad form and poor internet manners. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This. 

To come into a forum asking for advice, then claiming to have informed knowledge on a tangential subject but refusing to share that knowledge, strikes me as a poor show. Bad form and poor internet manners. 

Given time the OP may well have contributed to this forum, however I doubt she will return after this barrage of insults, but I hope to be proved wrong in this and that she will persevere, her polite refusal to discuss that which was irrelevant to her request does her credit. 

10 minutes ago, dogless said:

To seek advice on a specific matter, and then receive implied criticism on an incidental comment appears simply rude.

But it happens frequently here, there's just so many experts bursting with wisdom ;)

Rog

Or alternatively, 'I want you to give me your knowledge and experience but I am not prepared to help you by giving you any of my knowledge'.

Composting toilets are become a more regular subject of discussion and the disposal of the 'desiccated poop, sawdust and whatever' is an ongoing question - it is suggested that legislation on 'waste transfer' does not allow it to be dumped in standard waste bins - if the OP knows differently it would surely assist the community to she wishes to be a part of, if she would disclose how she plans to get around the legislation.

Just selfish - all take and no give.

• Greenie 3

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

What's your question? 

A reply to your two word contemptuous and peremptory demand for information. 

Worded slightly differently in case you are finding it difficult to understand ... is it any of your business what the OP does with hers?  

She had already explained some detail of her researched plan and didn't really need to do that, but many bayed for more and instantly in this thread.  Those posters should be ashamed of themselves. 

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or alternatively, 'I want you to give me your knowledge and experience but I am not prepared to help you by giving you any of my knowledge'.

Composting toilets are become a more regular subject of discussion and the disposal of the 'desiccated poop, sawdust and whatever' is an ongoing question - it is suggested that legislation on 'waste transfer' does not allow it to be dumped in standard waste bins - if the OP knows differently it would surely assist the community to she wishes to be a part of, if she would disclose how she plans to get around the legislation.

Just selfish - all take and no give.

This thread has probably got too poisonous now for proper discussion. I'd certainly like to know more about the use of composting toilets and the safe disposal of their products. Not that I want one, they wouldn't suit our boat usage and I'm too squeamish to go messing about with human waste.

Richard

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is true Tony, but by the same token a person who starts a topic is under no obligation to answer questions that they do not wish to and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to get upset about that. If you wish to take the topic into other related areas then you are perfectly free to do so, but the OP doesn't have to get involved if they don't wish to and nobody should be trying to force them.

If you don't mind me saying, you do seem rather pushy in insisting that the OP answers your questions when they have already stated they would rather keep their answers on topic. This forum is not a popularity contest, however if popularity is important to you then I would suggest you don't push your version of forum etiquette onto new members.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

That is true Tony, but by the same token a person who starts a topic is under no obligation to answer questions that they do not wish to and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to get upset about that. If you wish to take the topic into other related areas then you are perfectly free to do so, but the OP doesn't have to get involved if they don't wish to and nobody should be trying to force them.

If you don't mind me saying, you do seem rather pushy in insisting that the OP answers your questions when they have already stated they would rather keep their answers on topic. This forum is not a popularity contest, however if popularity is important to you then I would suggest you don't push your version of forum etiquette onto new members.

I did not insist as you choose to call it. I just pointed out that if the OP has some definitive information then good manners dictates that she share it. I also pointed out that taking without giving does not make people popular.

Any instance is in your interpretation, not in what I wrote.

We also ave Joh 68 who also professes expertise but chooses not to share.

Now, if we ll took that attitude what use would the forum be, especially to new members? You will notice that I am not alone in feeling this take and not give is not really acceptable and its coming from others  who regularly try to help others and have done for a very long time.

• Greenie 4

The OP asked for a handyman.

In response to an enquiry regarding what sort of work was needed, the composting loo was mentioned in passing.

The OP has since received a welcome to the forum in the form of repeated criticism.

I'd personally be amazed if the newbie ever returns, so don't let it worry you.

Rog

On 17/08/2018 at 19:34, Boater Sam said:

Reviewing my post I don't feel that it was rude, certainly not intended to be, and I apologise if it seemed so to you.

There is a composting loo on a liveaboard boat here. They have to truck the 10 ltr container of liquid waste off the boat and dispose of it in the slurry pit. What takes place with any solid waste, dried, composted, or otherwise  I do not know.

To me it seems an expensive lavatory when you have to do the same as with a cassette or a pump out tank. But you will make your choice but hopefully now more informed.

Sam.

My sister has a composting toilet, they pour the urine down the toilet on one of the other boats (on our lands moorings) which goes straight into the river (Great Ouse) they compost the other waste using the '3 bucket system' and save a fortune not having to buy compost for the flowers on the roof ?