Manchester City Centre scroats

oarfish

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We were sitting ducks thanks to the Beast from the East last March in Leighton Buzzard. We were iced in or a week, and were subjected to snowballs (probably with a stone in the middle) from the local kids. Be warned though, if you take photos of the kids they'll probably retaliate by shouting paedo at you.

Ask them to spell the word!

:unsure:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

I dont think that's a special canal number, IIRC its GMP general enquiries number, although I probably havent called it for over a decade.

Perhaps, and maybe the response wouldn't have been what the term "Police Emergency" conjures up, but whoever put the sign up advertised it as if it was. It reads:

Welcome to Manchester City Centre

You are entering a Canal Watch Area

Police Emergency: Tel 0161-872-5050

It's in black lettering on a white background with a motif of a little red pennant with blue edging bearing the words "Canal Watch".  It probably means bugger all and is a sop to the issues to give an illusion of care.

Frankly, a regular visit by cleaners would probably achieve about the most bang for buck - if the place looks like no-one cares, no-one will.  The area is filthy and half of the lights someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fit are defective. The rest are covered in grafitti, cobwebs and filth such that their output is minimal. What we would have appreciated most is if the drunken customers of Canal Street hadn't vomited over the wall or left quite so much broken glass (or the bars had a duty to clean up maybe?) or the local junkies hadn't left their drug detritus by the lock furniture. 

In our 3 day weekend in Manchester we didn't see a single police officer.  Young women collapsed through drink in the streets on Saturday afternoon was a prelude to evening alcoholic carnage, open drug use (chiefly nitrous oxide and cannabis) abounded - and that's just in the "posh bit" around Castlefield.  To be fair, we never felt threatened (perhaps it would have been hard to find anyone sober enough to pose a threat) but a return visit isn't on the cards.

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We were sitting ducks thanks to the Beast from the East last March in Leighton Buzzard. We were iced in or a week, and were subjected to snowballs (probably with a stone in the middle) from the local kids. Be warned though, if you take photos of the kids they'll probably retaliate by shouting paedo at you.

Sorry to hear of this. I was in Leighton Buzzard then too for a week, but slightly out of town to the south by the old railway bridge. Had no problems at all...was this by the Tesco?

39 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Frankly, a regular visit by cleaners would probably achieve about the most bang for buck - if the place looks like no-one cares, no-one will.  The area is filthy and half of the lights someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fit are defective. The rest are covered in grafitti, cobwebs and filth such that their output is minimal. What we would have appreciated most is if the drunken customers of Canal Street hadn't vomited over the wall or left quite so much broken glass (or the bars had a duty to clean up maybe?) or the local junkies hadn't left their drug detritus by the lock furniture. 

In our 3 day weekend in Manchester we didn't see a single police officer.  Young women collapsed through drink in the streets on Saturday afternoon was a prelude to evening alcoholic carnage, open drug use (chiefly nitrous oxide and cannabis) abounded - and that's just in the "posh bit" around Castlefield.  To be fair, we never felt threatened (perhaps it would have been hard to find anyone sober enough to pose a threat) but a return visit isn't on the cards.

I would send a copy of this to Manchester City Council and to their Tourist Office if there is one.

Yes, seriously. It might wake them up.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I would send a copy of this to Manchester City Council and to their Tourist Office if there is one.

Yes, seriously. It might wake them up.

What is slightly depressing is that having run the gauntlet of the Rochdale 9, with the endless rubbish in the canal, the weeds and decay on the towpath giving a post-apocalyptic feel, the burnt out boat, the dodgy people, you come to Castlefield basin where we are moored at the moment which, for a city centre location, is lovely. Clean, relaxing, safe-feeling, nice bars, nice people. The difference? We are now off CRT waters and onto the Bridgewater.

Let us know when you are setting off on the Bridgewater Nick and I'll come and chuck bricks from bridge 33. 

Seriously though the descriptions of the goings on give a good indication of why people keep losing their lives in the canal. 

The tourist office is only a stone's throw away (sorry) from the canal just off Piccadilly Gardens  

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

What is slightly depressing is that having run the gauntlet of the Rochdale 9, with the endless rubbish in the canal, the weeds and decay on the towpath giving a post-apocalyptic feel, the burnt out boat, the dodgy people, you come to Castlefield basin where we are moored at the moment which, for a city centre location, is lovely. Clean, relaxing, safe-feeling, nice bars, nice people. The difference? We are now off CRT waters and onto the Bridgewater.

Except an Elsan you aren't allowed to use, no rubbish facilties other than council bins. 

Birmingham also is clean, relaxing, safe feeling with nice bars and nice people. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, pearley said:

Birmingham also is clean, relaxing, safe feeling with nice bars and nice people

So has Manchester -- it's just that the canal goes through what have become the nasty bits. Try visiting the Northern Quarter -- lots of friendly Mancs having a good time. 

17 minutes ago, pearley said:

Except an Elsan you aren't allowed to use, no rubbish facilties other than council bins. 

Birmingham also is clean, relaxing, safe feeling with nice bars and nice people. 

Well yes but no rubbish facilities the CRT side either. We don’t have an Elsan, but the facility at the top of the Ashton (Fairfield Jn) didn’t look in use. Maybe it is, but anyway that is a long way out of the centre. Anyway I agree about Birmingham and my beef is not against CRT, it is against CRT NW.

Is the water point at Castlefield still available? (The one near where the trip boats tie up). We need water tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Is the water point at Castlefield still available? (The one near where the trip boats tie up). We need water tomorrow.

Yes, used it last week.  I cut some nettles down for your convenience, but not before they got me!  The other facilities are not available but, like you, we don't use those anyway.

Castlefield Basin Sunday night we had a BMW, an Audi and a Merc, all new, black with black wheels, park facing the boat with headlights on. A crowd of young men all using balloons to inhale what appears to be nitrous oxide, including the drivers. There was a girl in the boot of one vehicle who never got out from what we saw - most odd. They were there from about 9 til midnight. In the morning the area where they were parked was littered with about 40 sparklets type bulbs.

On the other hand, the Science and Industry museum is very good and free - suggested donation £3. The catering is unexpectedly good, either in the first floor canteen or the cafe by the entrance.

We spent a week on the Bridgewater and we're not troubled by the reputedly over zealous staff. Actually,  it was a very pleasant week, but if you think you've seen monstrous widebeam "narrowboats" before, wait til you go past Old Trafford! ;)

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

So has Manchester -- it's just that the canal goes through what have become the nasty bits. Try visiting the Northern Quarter -- lots of friendly Mancs having a good time. 

I was reacting to Nicks comment that the Bridgewater authorities are better than CRT when I don't think they are. We've moored in Manchester many times (and overstated I  the past),  our boat was fitted out and launched there and our son spent 3 years there at uni.   Yes, there are lots of friendly Mancs, 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Well yes but no rubbish facilities the CRT side either. We don’t have an Elsan, but the facility at the top of the Ashton (Fairfield Jn) didn’t look in use. Maybe it is, but anyway that is a long way out of the centre. Anyway I agree about Birmingham and my beef is not against CRT, it is against CRT NW.

All the facilities are at New Islington Marina. And the Elsan and water point at Fairfield Junction where fine last time we were there but only one usable to g to tie to. 

We're rapidly running out of options for the hols, unless it rains unceasingly for the next two weeks, so may brave the Bilgewater again. What's the visitor mooring situation like in Castlefield nowadays? Last time we were there we had to squeeze in outside the YMCA.

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

We're rapidly running out of options for the hols, unless it rains unceasingly for the next two weeks, so may brave the Bilgewater again. What's the visitor mooring situation like in Castlefield nowadays? Last time we were there we had to squeeze in outside the YMCA.

that's where we squeezed in too. quite handy to watch the performances in the arena. and very close to the excelent mosi

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

And at a quite exceptional time as well 

Only exceptional because of lack of rainfall. That doesn’t make the paddle gear unlubricated and incredibly stiff, the former visitor moorings too shallow to use (considering the relevant pounds were up to the bywash), many paddles out of action, gates and lock walls leaky, several canals closed due to mechanical issues, a general air of being unkempt and nearly abandoned, and the staff very surly. Well I suppose the hot weather could be responsible for the last one, but my suspicion is that they are always like that (Standedge tunnel chaps excepted).

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

You all make Manchester sound delightful!  I guess sometime I am going to have to brave the place, but not this year though.

Actually Castlefield is very pleasant - if you can get in there. There are a few permanent moorings but mostly 72 hr visitor mooring. There has been a reasonable turnover of boats but when one leaves, it isn’t long before another arrives. The Rochdale 9 locks aren’t in too bad condition apart from the one at the Rains pub, so long as you don’t mind watching blokes having sex with each other under the top-but-one lock and having the general feeling you are navigating an open sewer. Thomas Telford basin is nice for a nightstop but unfortunately this time, that pound was at least a foot down and we could barely pass the entrance let alone risk turning in. 

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes, used it last week.  I cut some nettles down for your convenience, but not before they got me!  The other facilities are not available but, like you, we don't use those anyway.

Castlefield Basin Sunday night we had a BMW, an Audi and a Merc, all new, black with black wheels, park facing the boat with headlights on. A crowd of young men all using balloons to inhale what appears to be nitrous oxide, including the drivers. There was a girl in the boot of one vehicle who never got out from what we saw - most odd. They were there from about 9 til midnight. In the morning the area where they were parked was littered with about 40 sparklets type bulbs.

On the other hand, the Science and Industry museum is very good and free - suggested donation £3. The catering is unexpectedly good, either in the first floor canteen or the cafe by the entrance.

We spent a week on the Bridgewater and we're not troubled by the reputedly over zealous staff. Actually,  it was a very pleasant week, but if you think you've seen monstrous widebeam "narrowboats" before, wait til you go past Old Trafford! ;)

Jolly good, water for us tomorrow morning then. We are under 1/4 on the gauge and with this weather, everyone is wanting showers! As to the rest, well I’m glad we are leaving tomorrow morning before the weekend madness!

we took a river cruise to Salford Quays and went to the imperial war museum. Quite well done but a little mawkish for me, and only one aeroplane! Came back on the tram. Such a waste really, all that vast expanse of quayside and zero boats.