holy crap......we just brought a boat.......ahhhhhhhh scary

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Eco-smartgauges? 

No, Matt&Jo have already got a ecofan on order - so they are well clued in. No mention yet of a battery monitor. I think the most important issue is what solid fuel to order. Given MrSmelly's barby predictions and the awful weather we have had for the last 12 months (well maybe 3?), there is now a countrywide shortage of coal which will result in huge undersupply come next September. It will be really important to put in your orders for fuel for next winter in the next 2 weeks otherwise there will be none available for you in 4 months time. I know. I have.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh drat. So what can we worry about NOW?

Phat bote launches outnumbering thin bote lunches?

Paradoxically, phat botes might turn out to be the saviours of our waterways. SO many thousands of people will live on them in fifteen years, it will cost the gov't too dear to close the canals, make them all homeless and give them council houses. 

• Haha 1

Is there any information on the shape of a typical canal bottom?  I'm thinking of getting my next boat built with a sloped "false" bottom so that it can sit comfortably on the mud when C&RT can no longer afford to keep water in the canals. It will also have the benefit of my EcoFan not sliding off the stove.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Is there any information on the shape of a typical canal bottom?  I'm thinking of getting my next boat built with a sloped "false" bottom so that it can sit comfortably on the mud when C&RT can no longer afford to keep water in the canals. It will also have the benefit of my EcoFan not sliding off the stove.

Too risky!

I tried that and look what happened to my boat, it nearly fell over when CRT trialled lower levels to save money.

Screenshot_2018-05-08-23-17-20.png

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Too risky!

I tried that and look what happened to my boat, it nearly fell over when CRT trialled lower levels to save money.

Screenshot_2018-05-08-23-17-20.png

no I don't mean a V hull.  I mean a hull that is 5ft at one side (The channel side) and 2.5ft on the bank side.

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

no I don't mean a V hull.  I mean a hull that is 5ft at one side (The channel side) and 2.5ft on the bank side.

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm not sure you've fully thought this through?

Firstly you will only be able to moor up where the water depth is 5ft at 7ft from the bank.

Secondly you will need to moor up on the offside 50% of the time unless your boat is only, say, 25ft long so you can turn just about anywhere. 

Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Lily Rose

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm not sure you've fully thought this through?

Firstly you will only be able to moor up where the water depth is 5ft at 7ft from the bank.

Secondly you will need to moor up on the offside 50% of the time unless your boat is only, say, 25ft long so you can turn just about anywhere. 

Back to the drawing board.

I agree that there are a few issues, and the numbers I gave were a bit arbitrary, but I've consulted the EcoFan support helpline and they say it is definitely possible. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Of course its possible to consult the Ecofan support helpline. You have said yourself you have done it.?

There's a helpline? Mine hasn't been w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ going round  for the past week, any thoughts before i give them a call? 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, rusty69 said:

There's a helpline? Mine hasn't been working for the past week, any thoughts before i give them a call? 

It wont work now. Its summer. Try turning it on again in 4 months.....or maybe this weekend.

Hang on.......if its not been working for the past week, does that mean it was working the week before? If so a MAJOR success. Mr Smelly will be happy.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It wont work now. Its summer. Try turning it on again in 4 months.....or maybe this weekend.

Hang on.......if its not been working for the past week, does that mean it was working the week before? If so a MAJOR success. Mr Smelly will be happy.

My mistake. Of course it hasn't been working. I have corrected my post. 

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

MrSmelly is busy calling his own helpline, apparently :)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Was it working the week before that?

No. It has never worked! 

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

MrSmelly is busy calling his own helpline, apparently :)

Is that the eco fan one, or the propulsion fan hotline? 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh dear! I wonder if others have had the same problem. Maybe starting a thread on it may be useful to get some pointers?

That would upset Mr Putin, and some others me thinks