holy crap......we just brought a boat.......ahhhhhhhh scary

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Thanks for all your ideas folks on door mechanisms.

So had an email bk and unfortunatly craig allen can not travel as far out as great haywood so bk to tge drawing board. Needs to be localish to that area and able to carry out bss any further thoughts. Really would like well known well respected surveyor

8 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

So had an email bk and unfortunatly craig allen can not travel as far out as great haywood so bk to tge drawing board. Needs to be localish to that area and able to carry out bss any further thoughts. Really would like well known well respected surveyor

When I was buying, I eventually emailed all of the surveyors recommended at once. When I got the various responses, of those who were available, I chose Steve Hands, and apologised to the others. It was a good choice.

If you contact only one at a time, you could find you spend a lot of time finding them not available, or not replying, or similar, before you contact the next one.

Edited by Richard10002

Now ignore me looking like a muppet but directly below my legs you can see the gas locker drain.....now i can also see water line above it.....will that just be from travel wash or should i be concerned about this.....as i said earlier i dont know if the water tank is full but i do know the gas locker was not really rusty.....from what i could see.... 

Screenshot_20180507-123141.png

Not ideal but there is not a lot you can do about it.

Its a 'fault' to put the base of the gas locker so near the water line as when you have your drain hole (which obviously must be at the bottom of the locker) it is going to be close to the water and can easily back-flow and cause corrosion in the gas locker floor (now a BSSC Check).

Depending on the height of the gas locker (how much there is above the regulator) you could look to raise the floor, weld up the old drain and install another at the new floor level.

As it is at the moment it looks to me that, irrespective of water tank "fullness", you will have the bow-wave above the drain.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As it is at the moment it looks to me that, irrespective of water tank "fullness", you will have the bow-wave above the drain.

And I could foresee a BSS inspector insisting that the hole be extended upwards to become a slot so as always to have air space above the waterline. 

55 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

i do know the gas locker was not really rusty.....from what i could see.... 

So don’t worry about it. Just keep it well painted so that it doesn’t start rusting :)

Just now, WotEver said:

And I could foresee a BSS inspector insisting that the hole be extended upwards to become a slot so as always to have air space above the waterline. 

I didn't want to be to negative regarding their new purchase - but - I agree with you.

To be honest i only noticed it when i got home and was trawling through the picks.....will have to see what the surveyor sais......

Ive read that some boats lockers flood by an inch on travel then free drain when stopped so i guess if that is the case an annual / regular paint job will stop any issues.....

Edited by Matt&Jo

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Tom Keeling.

24 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

To be honest i only noticed it when i got home and was trawling through the picks.....will have to see what the surveyor sais......

Ive read that some boats lockers flood by an inch on travel then free drain when stopped so i guess if that is the case an annual / regular paint job will stop any issues.....

Whatever, it’s hardly a problem. If it floods, keep it painted. If the surveyor suggests extending it to a slot it’s a 10 minute job. :)

25 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I would get the gas locker floor and at least part way up the walls painted with epoxy paint. That way you can stop worrying about the floor corroding, as long as you put another coat of paint on your 10 years.

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

I had this problem with a Hudspn tug and decided that there was too much brick ballast causing her to sit too low in the water.   I removed about half the bricks as she had a 15mm baseplate and not only were the drains above water but she was much easier to reverse off the mud when she went straight on at shallow canal bends (my fault usually for going too fast).

Yes, the gas locker vent/hole is too near the waterline (imo, although pics can be deceptive).

I would think, as suggested, raise the locker floor, although smaller bottles probably. Or, bow deck lockers and re-locate the bottles, you would still have smaller bottles, but you could have dual lockers, one each side (nearest to the gas locker b/head), plus seats and a large vacant locker (ex gas locker), once that hole is plated in. Seats would be best done  following the line of the bow cabin end (allowing for doors fully open) and exaggerated nearer the gas locker b/head end to accommodate getting bottles in and out. So, looking from top down a double curve (if you like). Vent holes would then be deck height, which looks to be around the second rub bar down (fine).

Its just that design of boat, they swim too low, we no longer need boats to look like loaded work barges.

All that said, the regs could have changed to allow water in/out a sealed locker (unlikely), in which case it could be fine. ?

It looks to be a nice boat, from the few pics here. Good luck with your adventures.

1 hour ago, 70liveaboard said:

I would think, as suggested, raise the locker floor, although smaller bottles probably.

I disagree. Probably too much ballast.

This is not the sort of basic error you'd expect to find on a Mike Christian boat.

And regarding who to get to do the BSS, why not use the bloke who did the last one? His name will be on the ticket. He may well be a surveyor too. 

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is not the sort of basic error you'd expect to find on a Mike Christian boat.

And regarding who to get to do the BSS, why not use the bloke who did the last one? His name will be on the ticket. He may well be a surveyor too. 

I agree removing ballast will bring her up. However 8-10" isn't it, that's a lot of ballast (around 5"), then do you do that just to raise the nose or the whole lot. Plus how accessible is the ballast.

Still, no doubt being there and seeing it would be much easier to decide.

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

One of my boats has a gas locker with drains on the waterline. Gets wet! 

This is it. If the locker is sealed and therefore seperate to the rest. Then I wouldn't see much of a problem, provided the bottles were on mounts or raised above the water. Its just how do the regs see it in 2018. Have you had it surveyed recently, that could be the answer to it. If its allowed then 'move-along', as they say.

That said, I wouldn't want any outlets that close to the waterline..

Edit:

Just viewed the interior pics.. Its a very nice boat inside.

Edited by 70liveaboard

15 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

If the locker is sealed and therefore seperate to the rest. Then I wouldn't see much of a problem, provided the bottles were on mounts or raised above the water. Its just how do the regs see it in 2018

See 7.3.1 & 7.3.6. It’s just fine. 

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

24 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

However 8-10" isn't it,

8-10" is what?

The locker drains ideally need just to be high enough for the gas locker not to flood when under way.

Like several others here, one of my boats floods the gas locker when under way. It is a non-problem but if someone wants a problem to worry about, this is a great one to choose!

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is a non-problem but if someone wants a problem to worry about, this is a great one to choose!

What shall we choose next...?

;)

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good to see someone who can spot a basic "Mike Christian" shell and it is basic from a bespoke Tyler/WIlson shell, most of sailaways that were sold as self fit out shells from this time has the Gas locker vent problem, as they were supplied as sailaways, ballast and floored and the fitters never removed ballast to compensate for the interior fit. Your vents will always either be in or out of the water depending on your fuel and water. Drain the water tank and give it a good paint once a year. Or start ripping up the floor to remove the concrete slabs to re-ballast.

Edited by PD1964

27 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Good to see someone who can spot a basic "Mike Christian" shell and it is basic from a bespoke Tyler/WIlson shell, most of sailaways that were sold as self fit out shells from this time has the Gas locker vent problem, as they were supplied as sailaways, ballast and floored and the fitters never removed ballast to compensate for the interior fit. Your vents will always either be in or out of the water depending on your fuel and water. Drain the water tank and give it a good paint once a year. Or start ripping up the floor to remove the concrete slabs to re-ballast.

'Bespoke'  that made me smile.. ;)