holy crap......we just brought a boat.......ahhhhhhhh scary

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

I believe Craig Allen no longer carries out BSC inspections, but just concentrates on surveys now.

Yes that is true he only does BSC's with surveys now.  His dad Mike Allen just did our BSC, very nice chap.  If you contact Craig he will pass you on to Mike or you can contact Mike directly on 07989  193992.

Looks good and here's to a successful survey. Personally, I would get rid of the big padlock method of locking the stern doors - if the padlock is on it is a big advert that the boat is unoccupied.

haggis

• Greenie 1

Ive emailed craig allen marine to see if he will travel outside of the 50mile radius he mentioned so will see on that... the bsc is until next year but thought if its out and being done why not renew now...makes sense to me.

One thing ive noticed is how low the gas drain holes are to the water line.....i hope that water tank is full if not its gunna be a very wet locker on the bow...i did check it tho abd it was dry and in a good condition....just worrying now its a phase im sure.

My biggest concern is the tidal thames on the journey bk down and braunston tunnel gunna be a steep learning curve to start with....excited tho ?

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Now, about those rivets washers...

I knew they would be raised....thanks for doing so minus swear words......lol for a well known builder im suprised they are a common feature but ive seen them on a few of this hull including one i made an offer on last week as you all know....honestly it was a nicer boat but not 10k nicer IMHO

9 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I knew they would be raised...

They have to be. If they were flat you’d never see them :D

Once you change the white hull to black and cover up the blue, er, highlighting, they’ll look fine. 

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Looks good and here's to a successful survey. Personally, I would get rid of the big padlock method of locking the stern doors - if the padlock is on it is a big advert that the boat is unoccupied.

haggis

ive been past lots of boats in the last 2 days with padlocks on the back doors when the owners are hanging out of side hatches or drinking wine on the front deck area.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

ive been past lots of boats in the last 2 days with padlocks on the back doors when the owners are hanging out of side hatches or drinking wine on the front deck area.

Are you sure they're the owners?

10 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Yes its just another thing to maintain so they may well be camouflaged as you rightly say ?

Look at any genuinely riveted iron hulled boat. Nobody highlights the rivets, they’re functional and are simply blacked over :)

So not highlighting them makes them more authentic ?

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

They are bloomin stupid then.................but then I suppose all boat owners are :blink:

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Why have a locked escape route when on board.....basic safety......

What otger locking arrangemets have u all made then to eliminate this signal that you are out?

There was a longish thread about this last year. The concensus I believe was some form of locking one door with shoot bolts of some kind and then closing the other to it with some kind of Yale or mortise lock that’s opened with a key. The detailed description varied according to the manufacture of the door. Some folk favoured a garage door lock etc. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Why have a locked escape route when on board.....basic safety......

What otger locking arrangemets have u all made then to eliminate this signal that you are out?

I have proper ordinary locks at both ends so no one knows who or importantly how many are on board. I also have the best bit of kit that can be bought for scum bag repellent and that is a dog. If someone is intent on breaking in its very easy with or without big locks to enter a boat so why advertise with a lock especialy either end showing. Ordinary locks will deter the opportunist as will padlocks but the proffesional scumbag will be equipped to remove padlocks anyway. Small cordless grinder for instance will even take care of fittings well put together in very short order and no big deal to carry in any sort of bag. You will find some boaters are not only daft  enough to padlock one of their life saving escape routes but some run petrol gennies for instance IN or ON the boat!! Some have solid fuel stoves and no co monitors etc etc.....

• Greenie 1

On WotEver I ground off the padlock hasp and fitted two shoot bolts to hold the slide in place, two shoot bolts (top and bottom) to hold the left hand door in place, and a Yale lock on the right hand door which locked simply by slamming the door shut. It could be opened from outside with a key or from inside by turning the knob - just like the front door on a house. 

• Greenie 1

I dispare at the way people are naive enough to fire up a standalone genny on a boat and not expect heavy gasses to sink into there boat and accumilate if the exhaust gasses are not controlled. My first job on the new boat will be to fit new batterys to both the co and fire alarms.....being a health and safety advisor im sad but thankfully aware of these things.

• Greenie 1

We had the rear doors lockable with bolts top and bottom inside, that locked down to the floor and up into the slide. Then the slide had bolts inside that went into the slide runners. All bolts were invisible from outside, but openable from inside. The front door was steel without window, with a Yale lock, and a padlockable hasp to the hull, for extra security. Both pigeon boxes were bootable from inside as were the side doors. All safe and secure but not escapeproof!