March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

Nothing to do with wide beams but we have seen a boat called Barnard Castle. Wonder how often he gets asked if Dominic is aboard and I wonder how often in the last year he has wished he had called the boat something else?.

Haggis.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Nothing to do with wide beams but we have seen a boat called Barnard Castle. Wonder how often he gets asked if Dominic is aboard and I wonder how often in the last year he has wished he had called the boat something else?.

Haggis.

There is a band march called Barnard Castle by Goff Richards.

We were surprised how many widebeams there were between Willington and Shardlow. There were a few monstrous ones, mostly moored up only saw one moving who was doing lots of steering wheel and bow thruster.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

We were surprised how many widebeams there were between Willington and Shardlow. There were a few monstrous ones, mostly moored up only saw one moving who was doing lots of steering wheel and bow thruster.

It's a wide canal there so no surprise to me, Mercia marina has loads in there or did today 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

It's a wide canal there so no surprise to me, Mercia marina has loads in there or did today 

It might be wide but I wouldn't like to see two of them meet up in some places, passing two narrowboats in some places was a bit tight and why do widebeam owners think it fine to moor in tight narrow spots.

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It might be wide but I wouldn't like to see two of them meet up in some places, passing two narrowboats in some places was a bit tight and why do widebeam owners think it fine to moor in tight narrow spots.

I have done that bit in my widebeam and thought it ok, done it a few times in a narrowboat with no issues 

20 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

In my experience widebeam owners never expect to meet themselves going the other way. 

11 hours ago, frangar said:

In my experience widebeam owners never expect to meet themselves going the other way. 

I meet widebeam boats all the time in mine, of course on waterways designed and maintained for them with no issues. In fact you can 6 or seven of them in the same lock ?

44 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I meet widebeam boats all the time in mine, of course on waterways designed and maintained for them with no issues. In fact you can 6 or seven of them in the same lock ?

But the equivalent on your waterway would be Exxol Pride meeting itself on a bend.....

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Expensive business craning a widebeam in for a week isn't it? :D 

Sad thing is, you could probably crane one in and the NBTA would probably argue that it could CC around the basin for ever.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Sad thing is, you could probably crane one in and the NBTA would probably argue that it could CC around the basin for ever.

I was going to give you a laughing greenie for this....but sadly its possibly true....there is a rumour apparently that CRT are looking to put a widebeam "welcome" boat somewhere in the basin.....lets hope they are just rumours...If I find out more I shall report back.

• Horror 1

Just now, frangar said:

I was going to give you a laughing greenie for this....but sadly its possibly true....there is a rumour apparently that CRT are looking to put a widebeam "welcome" boat somewhere in the basin.....lets hope they are just rumours...If I find out more I shall report back.

A CRT email dropped in my inbox this morning stating that;

Coventry is the UK 2021 City of Culture with lots of exciting events taking place around the city. This will also include activities on and around the Coventry Canal and in particular the basin.

From 21st June to 31st October, the visitor moorings in Coventry Basin will require all visiting boats to pre-book a mooring in advance of their visit.

You can access the booking system via our website (Book your mooring here) or by searching for 'Celebrating Coventry UK City of Culture' webpage (under 'about us/where we work/west midlands').

If you are having difficulty accessing the webpage you can call us on 03030 404040.

The Drapers Field visitor mooring, starting immediately after Bridge 1, will not require booking so boaters are still welcome to visit and use this mooring without pre-booking. All moorings, including the bookable ones in the basin, will be free and the boater facilities in the basin will also remain open to all visiting boats.

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

A CRT email dropped in my inbox this morning stating that;

Coventry is the UK 2021 City of Culture with lots of exciting events taking place around the city. This will also include activities on and around the Coventry Canal and in particular the basin.

From 21st June to 31st October, the visitor moorings in Coventry Basin will require all visiting boats to pre-book a mooring in advance of their visit.

You can access the booking system via our website (Book your mooring here) or by searching for 'Celebrating Coventry UK City of Culture' webpage (under 'about us/where we work/west midlands').

If you are having difficulty accessing the webpage you can call us on 03030 404040.

The Drapers Field visitor mooring, starting immediately after Bridge 1, will not require booking so boaters are still welcome to visit and use this mooring without pre-booking. All moorings, including the bookable ones in the basin, will be free and the boater facilities in the basin will also remain open to all visiting boats.

I got that too....sadly there is not a Coventry bookable mooring on the CRT page that I can see on the My CRT portal.....again Ive sent an email asking if this can be sorted.....it would be nice if the departments talked to each other wouldn't it......