March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

Just now, matty40s said:

Moving target I believe.

How did I guess?....I foresee it being for sale in a year or two max when the owners realise it might not be the most suitable craft to CC in....or it gets welded to a towpath in london and becomes a general hazard to navigation.

34 minutes ago, frangar said:

Do we know if it’s going to be a moving target or is going to lurk in a marina to leap out on the unwary??

I have something similar to this [57 not hugmongeous] this really should not be on some waterways

26 minutes ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

Perhaps, if the boat yards that put these boats on the water were to decline the job. It would lead to less wide boats being on what some see as the wrong canal. Very little point in helping them to get afloat and then moaning about them. pot and kettle comes to mind. 

Are the boatyards moaning, surely its work for them, selling, launching, repairing scrapes, selling etc.

On 16/03/2021 at 19:32, frangar said:

Do we know if it’s going to be a moving target or is going to lurk in a marina to leap out on the unwary??

It's just as well there isnt much movement on the cut at present, otherwise I dont think Colin's paint shed would last long....

20210319_103526.jpg

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Well now we have a test, unstoppable force meets immovable object.....fancy disguising your widebeam as 2 boats...?

20210324_134439.jpg

I used to run breasted from the castle at stowe hill to buckby frequently, if I was off midweek. It was slow. Mrs S used to meet me at the bottom, or top if i was unlucky. Sod of a flight single handed with a pair.

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Perfect for the North East waterways......but sadly I bet its not headed there.

I think Maffi operates mainly on the Oxford Canal. Is that Bones' boat breasted up to his?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I think Maffi operates mainly on the Oxford Canal. Is that Bones' boat breasted up to his?

That post was meant to refer to the huge widebeam posted earlier, not the pic. of Maffi's boat.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That post was meant to refer to the huge widebeam posted earlier, not the pic. of Maffi's boat.

Ah, O.K. But Maffi isn't heading for the Northern waterways either, so I understand.

17 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not sure about that! I may be wrong but I thought that Matty was referring to the fact that the boats were breasted up and to get past Old Friends, they were close to the towpath and there was a moored (on the towpath side) boat just in front of the pair. 

haggis

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not sure about that! I may be wrong but I thought that Matty was referring to the fact that the boats were breasted up and to get past Old Friends, they were close to the towpath and there was a moored (on the towpath side) boat just in front of the pair. 

haggis

To be clear, I was refering to my post about the Northern Waterways being well suited to the large blue widebeam.

I was looking at the picture of it when I posted thinking I was looking at the last post in the thread, I wasnt there was another page full of posts which I'd not noticed.

Screenshot_20210325-102127_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

How can it be relaxing steering one of these monoliths, having to station someone at the front to wave left and right frantically. Constantly having to engage and disengage gears to go round a bend and smack the bank under the bridge, worry about catching the wheelhouse on old bridges etc.....

20210328_214212.jpg

20210328_214235.jpg

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

How can it be relaxing steering one of these monoliths, having to station someone at the front to wave left and right frantically. Constantly having to engage and disengage gears to go round a bend and smack the bank under the bridge, worry about catching the wheelhouse on old bridges etc.....

20210328_214212.jpg

20210328_214235.jpg

Well we know who to blame when there is chunks missing from bridges and tunnels!...thats a nicer shape than the floating skip its passing.....but totally unsuited to the GU