March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Colregs are applicable on the Inland waterways EXCEPT whre there are Navigation Authority rules (which overide the Colregs)

OK cheers for the info.

In that case then, does one not read both the local law and the colregs at the same time. Given that there's no rule about what vessel has right in the laws you copy pasta, wouldn't one then need to refer to colregs for the right of way..? Hard to tell from the text in 7.

Apologies for taking this off topic 

15 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have always given way to the very large commercials on our waters, I suspect Frangar will be the one that bounces of a widebeam sheet weight will win the day 

Given the inability for most widebeam owners to steer their craft with any degree of control on a relatively deep canal such as the southern GU they stand little chance on the north Oxford so I fully expect them to be already wedged on the mud as I go past! 

• Haha 1

Just now, sirweste said:

In that case then, does one not read both the local law and the colregs at the same time.

In an ideal world yes, but, practically I doubt that very many have even read the Inland waterways requirements (bylaws) and not only do not know the 'passing laws' but have no idea about the required sound signals, or lighting requirements which are also specified in the Bylaws.

At the end of the day, it'll only matter when there is an accident.

Travelling at 2-3mph on still water does not take a lot of concentration, and is not overly 'risky', hence the very small number of accidents.

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

Given the inability for most widebeam owners to steer their craft with any degree of control on a relatively deep canal such as the southern GU they stand little chance on the north Oxford so I fully expect them to be already wedged on the mud as I go past! 

My widebeam swims well and is easy to steer not all boats are equal which goes for narrowboats as well 

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

Reading some of your posts on this subject, I’m inclined to believe you’re suffering small Willy syndrome fella.

My own point of view, the narrow boat is on its way out, albeit very slowly. Quite often change is ugly, but nothing can stop it.

Some just don’t fancy holidaying or living in a corridor.

These wide beam fellas are becoming increasingly popular, definitely on the March, and silly sniping or name calling won’t stop it.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

My own point of view, the narrow boat is on its way out, albeit very slowly. Quite often change is ugly, but nothing can stop it.

the money can’t be found to maintain the system we have, where’s the cash coming from to convert all the narrow waterways and locks to wide beam?

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

.I’ve no issue with widebeams on the right navigation...the north Oxford isn’t the right navigation. 

Agreed.

I have a 14 foot beam and 'know my place'.

Used where it is 'suitable' it is far better than any NB, used in the 'wrong places' it is a nightmare.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well I’ve never had any complaints but if name calling keeps you happy.....

id like to see you get a widebeam through hillmorton or up to Llangollen...I’ve no issue with widebeams on the right navigation...the north Oxford isn’t the right navigation. 

It is not I doing the “name calling” fella.

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

the money can’t be found to maintain the system we have

How do you know this, do you work for The Canal and River Trust?

• Unimpressed 2

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

no, do you? obviously you have some insight that the rest of us don't, either that or you're deliberately trying to start arguments :( 

Have a look at his history of posting - pretty much all provocative.

It has previously been suggested that he is a NBTA (No Boats Travel Anywhere) zealot

It seems the Canal and River Trust were heavily engaged with the marina planning at the outset. They would have seen the planned layout intention, along with the number of berths both wide and narrow.

They agreed, and the work was carried out.

Any back peddling by Canal and River Trust, (in order to appease a small minority of “moaners”) could see them in a spot of bother, and rightly so.

I’m afraid this particular issue will not be resolved anytime soon. Wide boats are here to stay, even on the North Oxford.

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

the money can’t be found to maintain the system we have, where’s the cash coming from to convert all the narrow waterways and locks to wide beam?

This is a problem with the top end of the G.U., the locks were widened but mostof the bridges and pounds were not. Silly sized widebeam craft are appearing on the pound above Hatton, and there are so many places where they couldn't pass each other, along with damage to bridge structures. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

no, do you? obviously you have some insight that the rest of us don't, either that or you're deliberately trying to start arguments :( 

The insight was yours fella, you made a declaration, own it.

If expressing my views suggests to you that I am “deliberately trying to start arguments”, you should just maybe take a second to look in the mirror.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have a look at his history of posting - pretty much all provocative.

It has previously been suggested that he is a NBTA (No Boats Travel Anywhere) zealot

I have no connection whatsoever to NBTA, but I do accept the fact that some of you struggle when someone steps onto your “turf”.

Petty behaviour, but often the way of forums.

2 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

It seems the Canal and River Trust were heavily engaged with the marina planning at the outset. They would have seen the planned layout intention, along with the number of berths both wide and narrow.

They agreed, and the work was carried out.

Any back peddling by Canal and River Trust, (in order to appease a small minority of “moaners”) could see them in a spot of bother, and rightly so.

I’m afraid this particular issue will not be resolved anytime soon. Wide boats are here to stay, even on the North Oxford.

this was kind of my take on it, when Dunchurch was planned CRT must have seen the entrance dimensions etc. so either agreed to it or overlooked it. i've only passed Barby twice and can't remember what the entrance is like, am assuming it is similarly proportioned, and that was a good ten years prior to Dunchurch i think so precedent has kind of been set.

like with the current toilet confusion, it's pretty much a problem of CRT's own making.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Reading some of your posts on this subject, I’m inclined to believe you’re suffering small Willy syndrome fella.

Some just don’t fancy holidaying or living in a corridor.

These wide beam fellas are becoming increasingly popular, definitely on the March, and silly sniping or name calling won’t stop it.

Evidance, please.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Don’t be daft...you are expecting him to back up his stupid statements. I think we’ve ascertained that’s never going to happen. 

Noted you are struggling.

8 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Oops!

But interesting to see you are playing the man here and not the ball.

Take 2:

Evidence, please.

The man controls the ball. ?

18 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

this was kind of my take on it, when Dunchurch was planned CRT must have seen the entrance dimensions etc. so either agreed to it or overlooked it. i've only passed Barby twice and can't remember what the entrance is like, am assuming it is similarly proportioned, and that was a good ten years prior to Dunchurch i think so precedent has kind of been set.

like with the current toilet confusion, it's pretty much a problem of CRT's own making.

They agreed  it. I would say its quite sensible having a wide an entrance as possible especially on a narrow canal. Have you ever examined marina entrances, lots of people have problems getting through them.

• Greenie 3