What is the purpose of this 'tube'/channel on outside of boat?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I enlarged the pic a bit more and the pipe appeared to be rectangular in shape. It's in a silly position for a discharge / overflow pipe, so I wonder if it was where you could put a guard rail to stop small persons / pets from jumping or falling overboard? Is there a similar pipe on the other side of the deck?

Nope, tis definitely circular. Am going to boat later, so will take a perfect close-up of it and trace again, but as stated previously there doesn't appear to be another 'end' :unsure:

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even though we now have pictures, I'm still mystified!

Have you tried following the pipe to see where the other end goes?

You and me both Mike!

1 hour ago, OliveOyl said:

Not at all!:)

They would need to be teeny weeny torpedos.  ?

It's not just a baton type thing that the welder used to reinforce the structure is it - not being an actual  welder I'm just having a guess really.

@NB Esk might know he welds stuff, I think. :ninja:

Edited by Tumshie

23 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

They would need to be teeny weeny torpedos.  ?

It's not just a baton type thing that the welder used to reinforce the structure is it - not being an actual  welder I'm just having a guess really.

@NB Esk might know he welds stuff, I think. :ninja:

Dunno, it's an odd one.  Only suggestion I can make (seen on one boat only) is there was a small outward opening "door" the same shape as the hull side and gunnel.  This hole would then receive the bolt to keep it closed.

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Remains of a rail to stop you stepping in and falling down the steps into the cabin. We used to fit a rail here on Liverpool hulls that had this suicide step.

Yep, that would work too....

• Greenie 1

Nothing complicated. Originally a steel tube was welded to the inside of the horizontal part of the side deck around the cruise stern to make a softer edge. At some point someone has cut out part of the side deck (a bit iffy and quite nasty imo) and exposed  the pipe. From the pictures it looks like it extends all the way to the back and the deck behind the guard rails has the same edge treatment. Its a way of tidying up what would otherwise be the edge of a thin steel plate which would be sharp and a bit dangerous.

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Nothing complicated. Originally a steel tube was welded to the inside of the horizontal part of the side deck around the cruise stern to make a softer edge. At some point someone has cut out part of the side deck (a bit iffy and quite nasty imo) and exposed  the pipe. From the pictures it looks like it extends all the way to the back and the deck behind the guard rails has the same edge treatment. Its a way of tidying up what would otherwise be the edge of a thin steel plate which would be sharp and a bit dangerous.

I think that's it. Patently obvious now you have pointed it out.

JP

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

You've lost me!

Given that both of these channels are open to the elements, can water get in, because when it pours with rain, it certainly looks like a possibility?

Should I seal them off in some way, without doing any harm that is?

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Do a Google search for plastic end caps: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plastic end caps&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&sp=-1&pq=plastic end caps&sc=8-16&sk=&cvid=35229645EE314543808128C5F403D604

See if you can find some to fit. They then can be taken out/ put back at will

Nah, simpler to buy 2 bottles of wine, remove corks, drink wine.  Corks are free. Maybe best to fit corks between their removal and the drinking bit. 

• Greenie 1

On 01/05/2018 at 11:19, Ray T said:

Do a Google search for plastic end caps: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plastic end caps&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&sp=-1&pq=plastic end caps&sc=8-16&sk=&cvid=35229645EE314543808128C5F403D604

See if you can find some to fit. They then can be taken out/ put back at will

Thanks Ray I will do. 

Thanks Jim - your suggestion holds a LOT of appeal (hic) and I note your cautionary advice :P

On 01/05/2018 at 21:01, JerryP said:

try attaching a flexible pipe to it, then blowing down it, have someone inside listening for bubbles.

Jerry are you being serious or winding me up?

On 01/05/2018 at 21:01, JerryP said:

try attaching a flexible pipe to it, then blowing down it, have someone inside listening for bubbles.

Try fitting a trumpet mouthpiece and see if you can get a tune from it

Richard

I'mm foreva blowin bubbles....

On 05/05/2018 at 00:53, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have a guess.... 

:)

You little tinker! I had same friend over yesterday trying to help fix another leak and I nearly asked him to listen whilst I hitched up my hose-pipe - seriously!!

Update

If said tubes/channels are for catching rainwater-how does the rainwater get into them??

They are open-ended on my back deck but disappear into the structure of my boat, and have no obvious other point of entry-exit, also, they are oval (angled spheroid?) so end caps are going to be difficult to fit. If they are for catching rainwater, then surely I shouldn't be blocking them off??

Just now, OliveOyl said:

Update

If said tubes/channels are for catching rainwater-how does the rainwater get into them??

They are open-ended on my back deck but disappear into the structure of my boat, and have no obvious other point of entry-exit, also, they are oval (angled spheroid?) so end caps are going to be difficult to fit. If they are for catching rainwater, then surely I shouldn't be blocking them off??

Have you tried sticking a length of rubber pipe over the end, attaching half-a-tennis ball to the other end of the pipe and shouting down it :

"Full ahead Scotty"

Did anything happen ?