Thoughts on this....on way now...not missing out again

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

ER, actually it has a diesel stove which drives radiators.

17 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

Apart from a Kabola diesel stove and radiators.

Ahh... so I guess it has a Kabola then... ;)

My excuse is that the pictures are too small on my phone :P

5 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

hot water from bk boiler and immersion only

The pdf (now I’ve read it) states engine heating also. I’d have been surprised if it wasn’t. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

The pdf (now I’ve read it) states engine heating also. I’d have been surprised if it wasn’t. 

I suspect that's what M&J mean when they say "immersion", a calorifier - indeed, what else could it be?

40 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

My weed hatch is full of canal water (and a prop).

Okay okay the hatch to access the weedhatch was full of water.......

Apologies yes calorifier. Second offer rejected ? such a seller market really you almost have to pay what they want cuz if you dont someone will

Edited by Matt&Jo

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

That sounds a strange design - normally the lid (hatch) of the weedhatch sits atop a 'collar' (maybe) 12" above the swim, and is held in place by a 'gurt-big wing-nut' onto a cross bar.

How was it 'full of water' ?

13 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That sounds a strange design - normally the lid (hatch) of the weedhatch sits atop a 'collar' (maybe) 12" above the swim, and is held in place by a 'gurt-big wing-nut' onto a cross bar.

How was it 'full of water' ?

It's a Mike Christian shell, so it'll have the usual Tyler Wilson weedhatch, which is completely separated from the rest of the boat.  It's a chute, with a plate attached to a cross bar that locks into place.  It means you can never sink your boat by not tightening it properly.  The water down there is actually canal water.

6 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hey all,

Big thanks to those who have helped over tge past few months. Im on the way up to see this 

http://vcmarine.co.uk/boat-sales/slinky-57ft-mike-christian-cheshire-narrowboats/

Any thoughts on builder, price, spec, heating... id install a bk up and switch over to solid fuel but any comments as always welcome

Looks nice BUT as a liveaboard its a short boat already and then take out the pretty looking but wasted space of the pointy end and you can see why the cabin/seating area are so tiny. As a hobby boat it would be different but living aboard is very different. They have cut corners by fitting a slightly smaller engine than usual although its well on top of the job as most stick 42/3 hp engines in now which is ott and the cheaper prm 120 is fitted. Have they cut out a few quid expenditure anywhere else? Its a VERY basic fitout and spec but I like it. All boats are worth precisely what they sell for on any particular day, the value of this boat will be unknown until that time. If it needs painting or owt much else it could be quite expensive.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I suspect that's what M&J mean when they say "immersion", a calorifier - indeed, what else could it be?

Except that’s not what they said... “hot water from bk boiler and immersion only

Immersion to me means immersion heater. 

It needs a bit of paint touch up here and there but overall paints in good condition. Its a short boat but we dont want 65ft really we have been to see bigger longer boats and we are happy with 57ft to 60ft really. Its a basic boat and  i think the owner is hanging onto the fact its a 2014 build and by a good builder....but super basic inside really.......no craftsmanship in the kitchen etc.

IMG-20180428-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180428-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180428-WA0009.jpg

Edited by Matt&Jo

It needs a bit of paint touch up here and there but overall paints in good condition. Its a short boat but we dont want 65ft really we have been to see bigger longer boats and we are happy with 57ft to 60ft really. Its a basic boat and  i think the owner is hanging onto the fact its a 2014 build and by a good builder....but super basic inside really.......no craftsmanship in the kitchen etc.

Well, if someone comes along and offers the asking price then so be it. However, it might still be there in a couple of months time and if you still haven’t found your dream boat...

Did you check out those other two that someone suggested?

Hi. I’m selling my Johnathan Wilson 57 ft trad. If you pm me I will send you some pictures. Comes with a very nice mooring.

thans. J

Hi jon mooring not required thats all in place.

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Hi. I’m selling my Johnathan Wilson 57 ft trad. If you pm me I will send you some pictures. Comes with a very nice mooring.

thans. J

@WotEver yes we did but they are not to our tastes really

49 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

IMG-20180428-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180428-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180428-WA0009.jpg

Theres either something wrong with your camera or that is a shockingly bad fitout as regards panelling, trim, paint lines etc.

what else lies behind the woodwork??? 

did you find any more about the boatfitters?

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Theres either something wrong with your camera or that is a shockingly bad fitout as regards panelling

I think that's just a stitch panorama that the camera hasn't lined up properly. If not I'd be withdrawing all offers sharpish!

Some serious misalignment of "ceiling" and wall panels and trimming strips, is it all secure and not flapping? The roof lining panels look very cheap quality ply with gravy browning stain.

Its a lot of money for what it is, but prices there are high all round, no bargains spotted in that brokerage.

To me it looks as though it has been largely fitted out with cheap Wickes type units.  That sofa opposite the unit with the TV on top - how can you stretch out your legs?

Shame as the shell builder has a very good reputation, but no point buying it if you want to strip out half the interior.

I think it would be a big mistake to buy this boat, simply because you have missed out on a series of decent boats simply by arriving too late. The fit-out looks like total amateur job to me, not just because of the cheap-as-chips materials used but the basic design screams of someone inexperienced who has never lived on a boat to me. The sofa being uncomfortably close to the cupboards opposite struck me in particular too. But the whole thing looks to me as though it is on the cusp of all falling to bits. 

Be patient. Good boats are like buses. Another always comes along, you just don't know when that will be!

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

How much does a stove cost for purchase and installation? I note that this boat has no heating at all. 

In the details it says it's got a diesel stove and radiators, and you can see the stove in the pics. Lose the breakfast bar, remove the freestanding dresser that the TV is on, and the freestanding dining table, and there will be much more living space, including space to stretch legs in front of the TV. Wall mount the TV, fit a few narrow shelves, (bookshelves and other), and Bobs your Uncle.