Sorry again all but thoughts on this boat please?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

May I ask for a sitrep please?

1. Budget

2. Preferred length of boat

3. Stern style

4. Windows v portholes

5. Berths

I only ask as I believe there are loads of boats for sales at present and I am of the sort who searches the internet looking at boats for sale, breath!,  just for the fun of it. 

Edited by Nightwatch

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

May I ask for a sitrep please?

1. Budget

2. Preferred length of boat

3. Stern style

4. Windows v portholes

5. Births

I only ask as I believe there are loads of boats for sales at present and I am of the sort who searches the internet looking at boats for sale, breath!,  just for the fun of it. 

Thank for comments all.

@ Nightwatch

Budget....up to 65k

Length.... 57ft up to 70ft

Stern style..... open on this no preference each has its own merrits

Windows.... both if possible but not a deal breaker

Births.... just 1 perhaps 2.

Age.... dont want anything below 2000 as i want spray foam insulation.

Thanks again all for your honesty i read alllll replys and take them on board.

Re cam belt: bear in mind that there are two factors that dictate a cam belt change – number of miles/hours and the time that the belt has been in place. Usually 10 years for diesel engines fitted in things with wheels and therefore much the same for marine applications.

13 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Age.... dont want anything below 2000 as i want spray foam insulation

Plenty of pre 2000 boats have spray foam insulation.

Have you definitely confirmed that this boat has - I can find no mention of it in the broker's brochure?

2 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Re cam belt: bear in mind that there are two factors that dictate a cam belt change – number of miles/hours and the time that the belt has been in place. Usually 10 years for diesel engines fitted in things with wheels and therefore much the same for marine applications.

When you buy old cars to run around in you get to know what and what not to buy with regards belts/chains. For instance my old Rav 4 is chain wheras a similar age Crv is belt driven. Cars are similar price to buy so I dont entertain the Honda as putting money into replacing belt sort of defeats the object of cheap motoring. Most engines fitted to boats have chains why bother with the extra hassle of a belt when put simply there are plenty of coats around without the added hassle.

49 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I've always seen the maximum age stipulated on car service schedules but, for some reason, the Lombardini marine schedule only states a change every 2500 hrs. I would change it at 10 years regardless though.

28 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Abc boats nightwatch :) at hilperton

I know it's over budget, but try and see Bailed out whilst you're there. Looks quality. We saw Bailedout out and about when we were down that way not long ago.

Edited by Nightwatch

Okay so had a good look and its a good nick vessel externaly but by no means a new fit out. Roof pannels are sagging trims is coming away. Its a fair vessel but not at that money in any way shape or form. Yes spray foam insulation too.

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Thank for comments all.

Births.... just 1 perhaps 2.

Thanks again all for your honesty i read alllll replys and take them on board.

You are obviously planning on keeping it for a few years then.

Should room for a nursery be on 'the list' ?

Will you need 1x double berth and 2x single berths ? - what happens if there is twins ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

When you buy old cars to run around in you get to know what and what not to buy with regards belts/chains. For instance my old Rav 4 is chain wheras a similar age Crv is belt driven. Cars are similar price to buy so I dont entertain the Honda as putting money into replacing belt sort of defeats the object of cheap motoring. Most engines fitted to boats have chains why bother with the extra hassle of a belt when put simply there are plenty of coats around without the added hassle.

However, if someone finds a boat that they really like then they shouldn't necessarily walk away just because it has a cambelt engine. As I mentioned in a previous post, mine has a less common Lombardini engine which has a belt (that was replaced without any hassle at 2500 hrs) and I have absolutely no regrets in buying this boat. 

We looked at bailed out.....its stunning!!! So well thought out and id say yes immediatlu if i didnt have to raise the additional funds. The price has just been dropped so additional reduction in price is unlikely

I'd say make an offer. We looked at a boat that was outside our budget but knew that we'd never find another that we liked as much so we stretched ourselves financially but don't regret it. You will probably spend more money on an older boat getting it how you want it.

27 minutes ago, Nick D said:

I'd say make an offer. We looked at a boat that was outside our budget but knew that we'd never find another that we liked as much so we stretched ourselves financially but don't regret it. You will probably spend more money on an older boat getting it how you want it.

Yes, definitely an offer wouldn't go amiss. At least 10% I'd say. As has been mentioned, they can say no. I agree with the stretching yourself bit. We did and we're still owners of Nightwatch fourteen years on. It's the one we wanted. 

At the end of the day, it's a big decision to make. And it's your decision,all yours!!! 

Just read the spec again. IT HAS A BARRAS engine. Nightwatch has a Barras, and has had for sixteen years. A good engine in my view. I'm a little biased though. I'd like you to have this boat.

Edited by Nightwatch

21 hours ago, Athy said:

As Perkins are still very much a going concern (they're in Peterborough), why should spare parts be a problem?

Because when you try to buy parts for an engine not sold as a marine engine, the first and only question will be “what is the vehicle registration number?”

And Perkins in Peterborough are most unlikely to sell parts directly to the public. 

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because when you try to buy parts for an engine not sold as a marine engine, the first and only question will be “what is the vehicle registration number?”

And Perkins in Peterborough are most unlikely to sell parts directly to the public. 

Why do they ask that?

I don't know whether Perkins sell direct, but if not they surely supply the trade. There would be little point in having shelves full of spare parts and refusing to sell them to anyone.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

So I'm not going loopy, can I, me, ask opinions on this one. Did I mention? I quite like this one. 

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/bailedout/

Nice boat, good builder, but overpriced.

There are two others at ABC that would tempt me, were I in the market for a boat.