Scary Moment in York

Midnight

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

And if there's only enough mooring space for one boat?

Not had that problem but you can breast-up - simply hook line over his T-Stud and drop back, get lines ashore as soon as possible to take the additional load off his T-Stud and lines.

I would certainly not want to reverse back into a single boat space in a fast flowing current.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh well me and the mark two missus have 5 sproggs between us and 9 grand sproggs. The kids are aged between 47 and 33 and the grandkids are aged between 27 and 5 and hopefuly thats the lot but........................

I see great grandkids on the horizon...

You won't believe this

So as the Ouse rises above 1.5 metres. Friend who nearly lost his boat comes over to the Queen's Staith and ties up in front. So far so good. At 4am this morning level up to 2 metres and rising I hear him running the engine and he tells me he's going to go over the the City Cruises floating pontoons. I suggest waiting a couple of hours til daylight but he is eager to go. I suggest a life jacket but says he doesn't intend to fall in (?). So I contact York Rescue who were patrolling in their inflatable and ask if they will go over and give us a hand to tie up. Friend now wading in 1ft of water covering the Staith unties stern rope, goes to bow where it's tied tightly to the concrete drain hole. A bit of an under water struggle which results in his wellies filling up. So now with the stern way out in the stream, bow loose he unties the centre rope and the boat starts to go backwards into the night. He can't get on the stern so with aquatic wellies climbs on the narrow gunnel and clinging on for dear life creeps gingerly back to the stern as the boat and he glide backwards past our starboard bow. When I get over to the pontoon he's taken 57 ft  for his boat and  leaves me about 30ft for my 57ft boat. This morning he goes off to Naburn asks if I want to follow and breast up outside him on the pontoon. Me thinks I'll sweat it out here in the centre for few days.

31 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Moor against the flow so you don't risk clattering into the downstream moored boat.

That wasn't the point being made, I refer you back to my previous comments.

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You won't believe this

So as the Ouse rises above 1.5 metres. Friend who nearly lost his boat comes over to the Queen's Staith and ties up in front. So far so good. At 4am this morning level up to 2 metres and rising I hear him running the engine and he tells me he's going to go over the the City Cruises floating pontoons. I suggest waiting a couple of hours til daylight but he is eager to go. I suggest a life jacket but says he doesn't intend to fall in (?). So I contact York Rescue who were patrolling in their inflatable and ask if they will go over and give us a hand to tie up. Friend now wading in 1ft of water covering the Staith unties stern rope, goes to bow where it's tied tightly to the concrete drain hole. A bit of an under water struggle which results in his wellies filling up. So now with the stern way out in the stream, bow loose he unties the centre rope and the boat starts to go backwards into the night. He can't get on the stern so with aquatic wellies climbs on the narrow gunnel and clinging on for dear life creeps gingerly back to the stern as the boat and he glide backwards past our starboard bow. When I get over to the pontoon he's taken 57 ft  for his boat and  leaves me about 30ft for my 57ft boat. This morning he goes off to Naburn asks if I want to follow and breast up outside him on the pontoon. Me thinks I'll sweat it out here in the centre for few days.

Image result for with friends like that you don't need enemies

• Greenie 1

I don't know him only saw him for the first time the other day.

Anyway now got the whole pontoon to play with.

The water at the left behind the pontoon is about 20" and still going up probably another half metre at least. Note the orange wellies loaned by the builders on the construction site just out of the picture left. And the chest waders loaned by the wine bar just up the street behind.

The Dunkirk spirit lives on

york-pontoon.jpg

Edited by Midnight

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhh - so your 'friend that nearly lost his boat' wasn't really your friend - or was he just an imaginary friend ?

I used the term 'friend'in its loosest sense.

19 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

When we chatted to the lock keeper at Selby last summer (when we were 'advised' not to try going up to York) he was clear that he could not refuse entry if there was even a hint of needing a haven, even without a licence. 

Its the size of the boat its to big to turn around in the basin, and also a CRT craft was following us so I expect it would have all got into a mess

Just driven across the Yorkshire Dales where there is a lot of snow on the uplands, massive amounts of water flowing down and cross roads, and the streams and rivers all very full ans very fierce. Some roads flooded but drivable and loads of water running off the fields.

From what I saw I suspect boaters on the Ouse around York are in for a very worrying time. If it was me I would be getting flood lines out and trying to fix poles to hold the boat off whatever its moored against (unless its a floating pontoon).

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

You won't believe this

Yup.................a bloody idiot. Darwin springs to mind.

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

I see great grandkids on the horizon...

The five five grandkids aged 17 and above have all been told they will be severly beaten if that happens, even the married 27 year old.

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just driven across the Yorkshire Dales where there is a lot of snow on the uplands, massive amounts of water flowing down and cross roads, and the streams and rivers all very full ans very fierce. Some roads flooded but drivable and loads of water running off the fields.

From what I saw I suspect boaters on the Ouse around York are in for a very worrying time. If it was me I would be getting flood lines out and trying to fix poles to hold the boat off whatever its moored against (unless its a floating pontoon).

Wot me worry!

That's tomorrow when the predicted level is up to the third stone on my right

waders.jpg

Edited by Midnight

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhh - so your 'friend that nearly lost his boat' wasn't really your friend - or was he just an imaginary friend ?

W.B. Yeats

“There are no strangers, only friends you have not met yet.”

W. B. Yeats

On 01/04/2018 at 10:50, blackrose said:

Perhaps I misread the OP but I thought the boat owner was using his centre rope to handle it temporarily while getting off the boat? When you're single-handed you tend to rely on your centre rope for stepping off the boat as you say, but in this case as Detling said, a long bow rope should be available when mooring in strong currents. 

But I actually disagree with you (and probably most of the forum) about using centre ropes for mooring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using one's centre rope for mooring a narrow boat as long as it's left slack including being able to accommodate rising water levels as all mooring ropes should.

"What's the point of a slack centre rope then? It's not doing anything" I hear you ask. Well it's just an insurance policy. I've helped to re-moor several narrow boats over the years which for one reason or another have come adrift from the bow or stern. Of course they should have been moored more securely at both ends in the first place, but ground can be softened by rain, passing boats can pull mooring stakes out, etc. My point is that had they also used a slack centre line to moor they would not have ended up obstructing navigation and it would have been a lot easier to get these boats back alongside the towpath. Anyway, in 15 years I've never had a problem mooring with a slack centre rope on rivers and canals and I will continue to do so.

Spot on imho.