Thinking of living on a boat

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

The is a 'newbie boaters' couple in our marina who have been staying in a local hotel some nights because they say it's too cold on living on board. Their boat is only 5 years old, is well insulated, has a stove, diesel central heating and is hooked up to an electric point. 

I find this incredible and cannot see what their problem is. Besides which, if it were me I would be too embarrassed to admit what we were doing anyway.

I can't fathom it either.  They must be doing something very wrong.  Are they aware that they have to light the stove?  Have you offered advice to them?

21 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

If anything, I (a bint) coerced my boyf at the the time (a bloke) into living aboard a boat. So it's not exclusively a male thing to be the one who wants a life on a boat. Although I don't think "coerced" is the right word. It makes it sound like it's about dominance or bullying which I doubt it often is. 

"Convinced" is a better one.  Or even "Persuaded to trial it, with a get out clause" could be more accurate still. 

The lady who wrote the piece used the word "coerced" which is why I used it. I know it can be the other way round but would have to say in my experience it is usually the men who want to do it and perhaps they aren't the ones grappling with the shopping and washing.(I am sure there are exceptions )

I do agree with other posters that they seem very ill prepared and not to be sure how long the boat is even after a few months is mind boggling !

15 hours ago, Rickent said:

One of the joys of electric hook up is the ability to plug ones electric blanket in for an hour before going to bed.

You don't get that with an eco fan.

You don't need an electric hook up for that; it's normal practice for us when winter cruising. 

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Im with Matty on this one. I dont like our boat under 24 in the front sitty bit anyway. 28 is spot on :D but swmbo moans when its warm.

Funnily enough, we were a steady 28 degrees this weekend up fwd by the stove. The bedroom is at the opposite end of our 57 footer and down there it was... 21!  Clearly it's cooler that far away from the stove, and it can be a bit chilly on a morning after the stove has ticked over all night,  but I just don't get why some folk seem suffer artic conditions in their aft cabin.

Mind you, we do have, you know, one of those things Dr Bob keeps banging on about. (I'm not talking ducks here either - not least because there's no such thing as a talking duck)

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, tizzy said:

The lady who wrote the piece used the word "coerced" which is why I used it. I know it can be the other way round but would have to say in my experience it is usually the men who want to do it and perhaps they aren't the ones grappling with the shopping and washing.(I am sure there are exceptions )

I do agree with other posters that they seem very ill prepared and not to be sure how long the boat is even after a few months is mind boggling !

It was my wife who was the driving force behind buying a boat and moving on to the boat, though I needed very little coercion :D.

Gillie had no real canal boating experience, I had a bit. We spent ages reading everything that could be read, including this forum, did two out of season hires, walked the towpath, cycled the towpath, talked to boaters, got invited onto boats, looked at boats for sale. We both had camper vans so had spent some time living off grid. I also had sailing experience and some wooden boat maintenance experience, plus good DIY and engine skills, but we still thought we were behaving rashly and were not well prepared.  Many folk now appear to move onto the cut with no research other than watching a TV program, no wonder it goes wrong.

................Dave

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Funnily enough, we were a steady 28 degrees this weekend up fwd by the stove. The bedroom is at the opposite end of our 57 footer and down there it was... 21!  Clearly it's cooler that far away from the stove, and it can be a bit chilly on a morning after the stove has ticked over all night,  but I just don't get why some folk seem suffer artic conditions in their aft cabin.

Mind you, we do have, you know, one of those things Dr Bob keeps banging on about. (I'm not talking ducks here either - not least because there's no such thing as a talking duck)

Well I wish the 'cold' end our our boat was heated by the baby equaliser fan (other fans are available) which I find equalises the heat at the 'hot' end much better than no fan, but the cold end is still pretty cold....which is why we run the eberspacky thingy. One thing this last week has taught us is to run the stove at 'more than tickover' during the night to keep the boat warm. Toasty in the day  and toasty at night under the duvet. (  @rusty69 , I think we are allowed to discuss fans here as the 'ban' only affects things the fans cant do .........but thinking about this, half of the above could run fowl (duck?) of the fan ban so maybe I should delete it. What do you think. Can I get away with it?)

Of course, Ducks dont talk, they quack. Our duck is telepathic though.:P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Image result for dominatrix

I've got a question for @Dr Bob

Given the ladies PVC suit is clearly intended to make her more bendy and supple to aid in operating locks, the PVC suit must contain a fair whack of plasticiser.

And

Given that the most common PVC plasticisers in europe are diisononyl phthalate, diisodecyl phthalate  and di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate.

My question is......Would you like some toast?

• Greenie 3

:clapping:

Yes, nice and well done please! ......bit of butter......none of this DINP, DIDP and DOP stuff (there I read the same internet sites as you do).

Virtual greenie, mis-managing my time today and run out already, what a muppet.

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I've got a question for @Dr Bob

Given the ladies PVC suit is clearly intended to make her more bendy and supple to aid in operating locks, the PVC suit must contain a fair whack of plasticiser.

And

Given that the most common PVC plasticisers in europe are diisononyl phthalate, diisodecyl phthalate  and di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate.

My question is......Would you like some toast?

Edited by Dr Bob

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

:clapping:

Yes, nice and well done please! ......bit of butter......none of this DINP, DIDP and DOP stuff (there I read the same internet sites as you do).

Virtual greenie, mis-managing my time today and run out already, what a muppet.

I'll lend you one ( check his greenie score)

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'll lend you one ( check his greenie score)

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Alan, I will send you one tomorrow:)

Rusty's post on your pic has to be the funniest of the week!

Don't worry lads, have one of mine, I've got loads (and besides,its Alan's anyway IIRC)

5a906bd44bece_SnotGreeny.jpg.b601949bb6006c2a1aae33ec27f703b3.jpg

On 28/02/2018 at 15:25, Dave_P said:

"believing the salesman who would have us believe the solid fuel stove would keep us warm all winter though our bedroom is at the opposite end of the boat was a big mistake."

Another dissapointed ecofan customer? :ninja:

No it was because they didn't have an Eco fan.

Phil 

If you stick heat at one end of a tube and expect it to reach the other you will be sad. The winter of 83 taught us this artic stove full blast next to front doors ( only location) 25 foot away ice on the walls the ceiling and the water froze in the bathroom. Didnt find the broken pipe until sun got on the boat while we were at work...no sprayfoam in those days and colecraft hadnt insulated the steel battens. Of course an eco fan would have solved it..

we swapped it for our first historic. Wooden top back cabin range and reflex stove.