Thinking of living on a boat

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Two interesting posts on Narrowboat world that should be bit of a warning to anyone thinking, "I fancy living on a boat" Winter can be different from 2 weeks holiday in the summer and you do need to change your life style in a lot of cases.

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/10581-it-is-so-blasted-cold

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/10588-took-to-an-hotel

What a set of wallies :lol:

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Thats because both my ecofans are pointnig your way.

I thought we couldnt mention ECO fans anymore?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I was reading the article sympathetically until I came to the line "Lack of decent shops". Perhaps she is a town- or city-dweller who is accustomed to having a wide range of shops within easy reach. But it is surely not hard to stock up with provisions when you come to a shop, and live on those provisions until you come to the next one.

That said, it is a pity that what they hoped would be an improved lifestyle turned into quite the opposite.

Reminds me of one of those daft questions that passers-by keep asking us boaters.... "where do you get your shopping". I couldn't resist."at the shops, just like you".

I should have said that we get it delivered direct to the boat by Ocado and Waitrose (and Fetch for the dog), but didn't want them to know that I was a posh git.

Sounds like the usual case of man wants boat, wife dragged along, man does not see any reason for washing machine, wife walks to launderette with big bag of washing etc etc (and man drives boat, wife struggles with locks)

...............Dave

• Happy 2

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

but they are, one on each of my stoves.

I thought I was cold earlier but realised I was keeping the fridge door open with my right foot whilst cooking dinner.

A pleasant 24.5 c in here tonight.

One of the joys of electric hook up is the ability to plug ones electric blanket in for an hour before going to bed.

You don't get that with an eco fan.

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

One of the joys of electric hook up is the ability to plug ones electric blanket in for an hour before going to bed.

We get the ecofan going really well and then stick it under the quilt for 10 minutes, works a dream.

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Reminds me of one of those daft questions that passers-by keep asking us boaters.... "where do you get your shopping". I couldn't resist."at the shops, just like you".

I should have said that we get it delivered direct to the boat by Ocado and Waitrose (and Fetch for the dog), but didn't want them to know that I was a posh git.

Sounds like the usual case of man wants boat, wife dragged along, man does not see any reason for washing machine, wife walks to launderette with big bag of washing etc etc (and man drives boat, wife struggles with locks)

...............Dave

Spot on Dave but for one point.....................wives should struggle with locks otherwise us blokes would have to do em and thats a big NONO.

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

but they are, one on each of my stoves.

I thought I was cold earlier but realised I was keeping the fridge door open with my right foot whilst cooking dinner.

A pleasant 24.5 c in here tonight.

24 is bordering on the unpleasant, beyond 27 its emergency evacuation and find a cool windy beach to walk the dog. :D

Just now, dmr said:

24 is bordering on the unpleasant, beyond 27 its emergency evacuation and find a cool windy beach to walk the dog. :D

Im with Matty on this one. I dont like our boat under 24 in the front sitty bit anyway. 28 is spot on :D but swmbo moans when its warm.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Spot on Dave but for one point.....................wives should struggle with locks otherwise us blokes would have to do em and thats a big NONO.

Oooh, I really like doing the locks, standing on the back of a boat down in the bowels of the earth is womens work, a man should be sat on a lock beam, looking at the countryside, and playing games with all that lovely hydraulic engineering.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We get the ecofan going really well and then stick it under the quilt for 10 minutes, works a dream.

What goes on under your quilt is nobodys business but your own, but obviously eco fans are far more useful than I thought and 10 minutes is very impressive.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Oooh, I really like doing the locks, standing on the back of a boat down in the bowels of the earth is womens work, a man should be sat on a lock beam, looking at the countryside, and playing games with all that lovely hydraulic engineering.

............Dave

You may have a point...............................................................................naaahhh :D

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Or you could just use a hot water bottle!

We do have hot water bottles and they are great , but when I was in Tesco last week the king size leccy blankets were half price at £13 and in this weather it's money well spent.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

Are there any couples out there who are well matched?  I'm uncomfortable at less than 22 degs C and her indoors goes to sleep in the armchair above 20.   

Funny innitt Iwas just thinking the same. Also in another thread someone mentioned using electric blankets which even though I like being very warn in boat cabin  I would hate leccy blankets as would be uncomfortable in bed.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Ours is plugged in at the moment and we are moored against the bank of the large flash on the T&M

The is a 'newbie boaters' couple in our marina who have been staying in a local hotel some nights because they say it's too cold on living on board. Their boat is only 5 years old, is well insulated, has a stove, diesel central heating and is hooked up to an electric point. 

I find this incredible and cannot see what their problem is. Besides which, if it were me I would be too embarrassed to admit what we were doing anyway.

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ours is plugged in at the moment and we are moored against the bank of the large flash on the T&M

I hope the large flash was not the electrics blowing up and leaving you in the cold.    :)

• Haha 1

I was coerced by my 'other half' into moving from our house.

I too was coerced into moving by my 'other half' into our current house

Boaters have to travel light.

With 3 kids, I no longer has space in my shed, or rooms in the house to keep MY stuff.

lack of decent shops.

I too have to get a bus/taxi/train if I want to go to decent shops

Missing the so many friends we associated with is another thing I really miss.

I miss some of my friends who have moved away too.  Won't miss my neighbours though.

It is not just cold, it is freezing.

So was my house at 0600 this morning when I had to drag myself out of bed to go to work

so there will shortly be yet another narrowboat for sale.

Excellent, the market is limited at the moment.  I need more people like you

Any of you people who enjoy your hire on a narrowboat—take the advice of experience—don't let it go any further.

Thanks for the advice....but I won't be taking it 

23 hours ago, tizzy said:

I have just read these posts and think one of the saddest things is the quote from the lady about being "coerced" into making the move ! What is it with men and their desire to live on boats ? Mine would be the same but I dug my heels in very firmly and said that it would never be an option ! The people in these posts would be better booking into a marina for a few weeks till the weather eases !

If anything, I (a bint) coerced my boyf at the the time (a bloke) into living aboard a boat. So it's not exclusively a male thing to be the one who wants a life on a boat. Although I don't think "coerced" is the right word. It makes it sound like it's about dominance or bullying which I doubt it often is. 

"Convinced" is a better one.  Or even "Persuaded to trial it, with a get out clause" could be more accurate still. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

4 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

If anything, I (a bint) coerced my boyf at the the time (a bloke) into living aboard a boat. So it's not exclusively a male thing to be the one who wants a life on a boat. Although I don't think "coerced" is the right word. It makes it sound like it's about dominance or bullying which I doubt it often is. 

Image result for dominatrix