Boaters please dispose of your rubbish

the barnacle

Featured Posts

Cruising regularly under the M6 near Ansty heading between Rugby and Hawkesbury, theres always black binbags full on the embankment. It means cars must stop on the motorway hard shoulder just to dump rubbish over the bridge. Its just too impossible to imagine who or why ?  I have my theory but would be accused of prejudice if i publicised it. 

I remember a tiny aqueduct, little more than a culvert under the canal with a nice length of built up bank ideal for mooring. One of the locals had his 14 days then moved and I moved in. It stank. Down the embankment and into the stream was about a big wheelie bins worth of assorted refuse and a massive slick of excrement. That will be a hobby boater, they never move do they.

Round here the local council is the only one that doesn't do 'hard rubbish' pickup monthly( health and safety) everywhere else in Victoria 2 days before the hard waste days everyone puts their old TVs computers ( running machines !!! ) on the nature strip and they get picked up. Not here they all get fly tipped in the pine plantations creeks etc. the council solution is to put up cameras so they can tell the landowners where to clean up. It's only latrobeshire... an area of economic deprivation..

whats a hobby boater? 

Under different hats I've lived on boats carried with boats earned my living from boats and restored boats. Now I live 50/50 none of those has affected my desire to keep the canals clean. We often strip packaging off in the supermarkets and leave it for them and my parents introduced us to the joys of string bags in the 80s

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We often strip packaging off in the supermarkets and leave it for them and my parents introduced us to the joys of string bags in the 80s

But stripping the packaging, and then using string bags, does do not tend to work particularly well with things like, Rice, Sugar, Milk, Gas, etc.

On 2/4/2018 at 09:30, the barnacle said:

It’s not just the canal our road verges are worse, in my opinion prisoners should be put to work cleaning it up

Providing that the litterers are prosecuted and sent to prison and then forced to gather their own and other peoples rubbish!  In our village of fewer than 600 residents we collected 66 bags of verge litter last spring, and since then repeated litter picks gather 6-10 bags every 6 weeks.  Its a national disgrace and boaters are probably less guilty than car drivers, but some of them are guilty.  And yes if you point it out you do get abuse. I have seen a boaters  swing a couple of carrier bags into the long  grass after they have realised that they forgot to offload by the refuse point.  But for the most part tow-paths are squeaky clean compared with many roadsides.

Back in the 1980s, when I lived in Doncaster, the local Labour Party would organise what we called parish skips.

A big yellow DMBC Foden wagon would drop off a skip on a suitable piece of ground, the neighbourhood would have been leafletted beforehand and people in the area invited to bring out their rubbish.

The skip would be staffed by activists and a councillor or two.

A service to the community and good publicity for the LP.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:23, zenataomm said:

Slightly off topic I know, but the issue of fly-tipping in UK isn't helped at all by the different councils' rules and regs. when it comes to the way they operate their recycling facilities ...... what we used to call The Tip.

I regularly use four different ones around the country and they all vary.  Some of them want evidence you pay council tax in that area, some want to inspect everything you have in case it's business related.  There are more reasons to reject your rubbish by them than your good intentions to dispose of it with unblemished conscience. Coventry has a barrier so low that you'd not get a car under with a roof rack, vans are prohibited.

I've been at these facilities and witnessed families being turned away by officious, power crazed council employees who are barely polite.  What happens to it all then I wonder? An alternative isn't always offered.

The one and only site that I think has got it right is in Lincoln.  You can take anything (within reason) in the way of rubbish ..... nobody asks for your proof of domicile within the city ....... the staff help you ....... they have large 4 wheel trollies to lend you ........ they take nasty waste.  I've never seen anybody turned away with anything by some teeth sucking, head shaking "jobs worth".

Why the difference?  I can only ponder that the brains in Lincoln City Hall realise that if someone has gone to the time and trouble to pack their car or hired a van (no van ban in Lincoln) and then drive it down there to dispose of properly then they really don't want to then engage in a confrontational issue designed to make them go away with it all again.  It seems that only Lincoln has discovered joined up thinking and worked out it's cheaper to take whatever rubbish from whatever person presenting it rather than send a team with a truck out for the day scraping it up from some country lane.

I loathe Fly Tippers, I hate them so much I get up at 4.30am just so I can hate them longer. My solution would be to imitate Lincoln's methods, and then publicly execute miscreants.  I think that would slow down the hard of thinking brigade.

As for those that dump on towpaths, use their anti-social behaviour against them, if they are Continuous Moorers enforce until they bugger off.  If they are just weak minded leisure cruisers then don't renew their licence.

If some place is regularly getting trash then it wouldn't be difficult or expensive to plonk those motion activated cameras that councils use in country lanes that regularly get hit.

Sadly Lincoln's excellent waste disposal facilities still don't stop people leaving their rubbish in and around the cities waterways :angry:

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Round here the local council is the only one that doesn't do 'hard rubbish' pickup monthly( health and safety) everywhere else in Victoria 2 days before the hard waste days everyone puts their old TVs computers ( running machines !!! ) on the nature strip and they get picked up. Not here they all get fly tipped in the pine plantations creeks etc. the council solution is to put up cameras so they can tell the landowners where to clean up. It's only latrobeshire... an area of economic deprivation..

whats a hobby boater? 

Under different hats I've lived on boats carried with boats earned my living from boats and restored boats. Now I live 50/50 none of those has affected my desire to keep the canals clean. We often strip packaging off in the supermarkets and leave it for them and my parents introduced us to the joys of string bags in the 80s

I assume that, given your reference to the "Nature strip" which we call the grass verge over here, you are in Victoria State Australia. I am surprised that your Local Council does not collect up "hard rubbish", my son lives in Beechworth, Victoria and I am sure they collect it there. Whilst over there, I also noticed in some places it is acceptable (encouraged?) for other peiople to help themselves to anything left out two days before rubbish collection. I thought that was a brilliant idea. As they sy one man's rubbish is another mans treasure.

Edited by David Schweizer

23 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Our local council changed its waste disposal site policies last year, using the excuse that too many were disposing of trade waste without paying for the appropriate permit.

Now all vehicles must be registered. Vans, trailers & certain sizes of 4x4 are limited to 12 visits per year, some sizes of vehicle or trailer are banned altogether. Bulky waste such as washing machines, sofas etc. used to be collected within 3 weeks if you gave them a ring and cost nowt, now they want £35 per item. The skips they used to have at the disposal sites for broken tiles, rubble, plasterboard are now gone as this is classed as commercial waste and is banned.

And the upshot of all this? Flytipping has rocketed and so has the amount of man-with-a-van cheap waste removers via facebook.

The rules have changed at the Sheffield waste disposal sites a few years ago to stop trade use without permits.

We recently had to pay to have a few bulky items removed that we couldn't take to the tip ourselves as they didn't fit in the car. For £21 to remove three items (Fridge/freezer, mattress and TV) we didn't think it was a bad deal. They were gone within a couple of days of ringing them up.

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sadly Lincoln's excellent waste disposal facilities still don't stop people leaving their rubbish in and around the cities waterways :angry:

Well of course you're spot on there.

The reason being that it's situated on the outskirts ....... as they all are.

I was only remarking on fly tipping in general, of which canal side is thankfully rare in comparison, no less an issue of course.

11 hours ago, Irob said:

Ah, bring back the old Tatter, the Rag n Bone man !   We used to get a balloon as kids in Coventry if we donated our junk to him. Remember his call up the backyards " Eeeenyragboooon" !!

We still have a tatter in Tamworth. During the summer he comes every Sunday, less frequently in the winter.

He plays a looped tape recording of a trumpet note followed by "aaanyoliron" !!

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

We still have a tatter in Tamworth. During the summer he comes every Sunday, less frequently in the winter.

Plenty doing the rounds in Brum, plus a fair few bods pushing trolleys around collecting smaller bits of scrap

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

Wow.   Rember Lonny Donnigans   "Any old iron"  and " My old mans a dustman" ?    Rappers dont seem to write lyrics like that anymore !    Dont say " thank God" !!!!

Obvously with all the chewing stuck to the pavements, silly mums have got to take the blame. I swallowed mine in spite. It never got stuck the other end either or i might have rinsed it off and recycled it !  (Yuk perish the thought !)   

4 hours ago, Irob said:

Wow.   Rember Lonny Donnigans   "Any old iron"  and " My old mans a dustman" ?    Rappers dont seem to write lyrics like that anymore !    Dont say " thank God" !!!!

Lonny Donegan must be one the only skiffle musician to have a song written about him. Mark Knopflers "Donegans Gone". :)

On 2/4/2018 at 09:40, mrsmelly said:

We took pop bottles across the road to the village pub etc etc who gave us money for them.

Our local off-licence used to give a penny a pop bottle back so we'd go door to door asking for empties.

One day we realised that he didn't lock the back yard gate so we used to nip in and nick the same number as we collected doubling up the reward to 2p.

Retrospectively I recognise this was theft but as he was getting 5p back from the pop company I don't feel too bad about it.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Lonny Donegan must be one the only skiffle musician to have a song written about him. Mark Knopflers "Donegans Gone". :)

"Rory and the Hurricanes" by Ringo Starr on his "Postcards from Paradise" album is a tribute to Rory Storm.

10 minutes ago, carlt said:

Our local off-licence used to give a penny a pop bottle back so we'd go door to door asking for empties.

One day we realised that he didn't lock the back yard gate so we used to nip in and nick the same number as we collected doubling up the reward to 2p.

Retrospectively I recognise this was theft but as he was getting 5p back from the pop company I don't feel too bad about it.

It was d not p when I used to take em back. Seriously though in reality people did more recycling I reckon years ago than they do now. Where we have totally got it wrong now is the use of plastic that seems to be wrapped round absolutely everything which is nonsensical.