More about marina livin'

larryjc

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No washing allowed out in ours either. Or solid fuel stoves, unnecessary engine running, working on your boat, permit parking only.

It may sound like a lot of rules, and that is only a few of them, but it does benefit everyone in the end.

Should also point out that our marina is surrounded by very expensive housing and they also can't put out washing or have garden sheds!

I'm glad I live in a house where I can hang washing outside, burn smokeless or non-smokeless fuel, do a whole host of noisy activities, and park several vehicles.

I'm glad I moor my boat in a marina which has its own fixed rotary washing line (as well as washing machines and driers), allows solid fuel stoves, engine running, work on boat, all with reasonable consideration for the other moorers, and has plenty of parking.  

Just now, Jess-- said:

there's at least one, we nearly moored in it, decided against it when we worked out that the distance needed to clear our pontoon and neighbouring boat (before we could start turning) was 6 inches shorter than our boats length (which meant removing bow & stern fenders every time we wanted to get in or out)

Seriously, they do not allow you to run your engine? That is incredible. How do people recharge their batteries? How do they warm their engine up before setting off? If that's an indication of their attitude, then you did right to steer clear of it.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I'm glad I moor my boat in a marina which has its own fixed rotary washing line (as well as washing machines and driers), allows solid fuel stoves, engine running, work on boat, all with reasonable consideration for the other moorers, and has plenty of parking.  

Mention its name and a queue is sure to form.

Just now, Athy said:

Seriously, they do not allow you to run your engine? That is incredible. How do people recharge their batteries? How do they warm their engine up before setting off? If that's an indication of their attitude, then you did right to steer clear of it.

I also got told off for standing on the grass to take a picture of the boat

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

No washing allowed out in ours either. Or solid fuel stoves, unnecessary engine running, working on your boat, permit parking only.

It may sound like a lot of rules, and that is only a few of them, but it does benefit everyone in the end.

Should also point out that our marina is surrounded by very expensive housing and they also can't put out washing or have garden sheds!

Do they also BAN the ANTI SOCIAL NOISY diesel hot air heaters, some owners dont seem to care who the desturb, before anyone thinks they are ok just try having one on all night next to your bedroom,

2 minutes ago, oats said:

Do they also BAN the ANTI SOCIAL NOISY diesel hot air heaters, some owners dont seem to care who the desturb, before anyone thinks they are ok just try having one on all night next to your bedroom,

Air and Water heaters can be Seriously Silenced but even then they still produce Fumes.have never understood why Caravans have to be around 20 Feet apart for Fire distance but some Boat Moorings have a 3 Foot gap or less.

6 minutes ago, oats said:

No. But most people have silencers fitted to them so they are not noisy. 

The worst bit of our diesel heater is the ticking of the fuel pump which is right next to the bed but not audible from the outside of the boat.

8 minutes ago, oats said:

A boat near us has some kind of noisy heating in it. Ironically, they call the boat "Whisper"

3 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Air and Water heaters can be Seriously Silenced but even then they still produce Fumes.have never understood why Caravans have to be around 20 Feet apart for Fire distance but some Boat Moorings have a 3 Foot gap or less.

Indeed they can. We had a near miss the other weekend when we found that our heaters exhaust had come adrift and was blowing fumes into the engine bay!

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are in a marina, you will no doubt have electric so you can just plug in your own tumble dryer.

Which is exactly what we do. The trouble is we all end up with loads of rules due to a small minority as in all walks of life. They don't allow washing lines here were we are wintering nor do they want boats with " Trees " on the roof why would they? Marinas especialy the bigger ones sell themselves to Joe public as a nice day out in many cases, they do here so they have these rules. Its a shame as the quality of people is nowt to do wether their boat etc looks tidy or not.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Seriously, they do not allow you to run your engine? That is incredible. How do people recharge their batteries? How do they warm their engine up before setting off?

let me explain, marinas have ready made lectric stuff ya plugs in to and for cripes sake everyone knows that with fantastic modern diesel engines fitted to boats today you just start them up and off you go no need to sit warming them up. People don't fit antiquated crap like that on boats anymore silly.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Which is exactly what we do. The trouble is we all end up with loads of rules due to a small minority as in all walks of life. They don't allow washing lines here were we are wintering nor do they want boats with " Trees " on the roof why would they? Marinas especialy the bigger ones sell themselves to Joe public as a nice day out in many cases, they do here so they have these rules. Its a shame as the quality of people is nowt to do wether their boat etc looks tidy or not.

Agreed. We have just lost our long term neighbour at the marina. They were the perfect neighbours for us. The boat was narrow so we had loads of room to get in and room to keep the dinghy in the water. They have had to leave as the boat was quite shabby and not up to the standard the owners want in their marina. 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its called electricity, it comes through a wire from a bollard adjacent to your boat.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Not all marinas have such facilities.

Nor do all boats have a socket for external power supply.

Edited by Athy

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are in a marina, you will no doubt have electric so you can just plug in your own tumble dryer.

That's exactly what we do, there is the added bonus that clothes straight from the dryer can be folded and put away, no ironing needed 

Phil 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I love it that people go in marinas when the cruising season finishes (CRT strapline).

Strapline, or a statement of intent?  It might just be me, but I'm finding winter cruising increasingly difficult to plan due to the overlap in timing and placement of closures and conflicts information available due to apparent publishing errors. As I say, it might just be me!

16 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

My previous mooring had a 0 foot gap on either side.  There are quite a few places like this.

12 hours ago, Athy said:

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Not all marinas have such facilities.

Nor do all boats have a socket for external power supply.

It's not hard to connect a portable battery charger directly to the bollard via an adaptor.

On 17/11/2017 at 09:45, matty40s said:

I love it that people go in marinas when the cruising season finishes (CRT strapline).

20171117_070223.jpg

In a marina surrounded by boats with washing flapping on washing lines is the antithesis of what boating is all about, in my personal opinion. 

• Happy 1

21 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. But most people have silencers fitted to them so they are not noisy. 

The worst bit of our diesel heater is the ticking of the fuel pump which is right next to the bed but not audible from the outside of the boat.

Even with a 'silencer' they ARE noisy when you are outside and it is against your bedroom, i suggest you try It, ok when you are sitting inside and at the opposite end of your boat,