to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

Well, I guess they'll have to catch me first which may not be difficult since I'll only be going 4 mph. I have to say this, I've been watching narrowboat and canal documentaries on youtube and have absolutely fallen in love with it all.

n

Edited by nickfox

Well, I guess they'll have to catch me first which may not be difficult since I'll only be going 4 mph. I have to say this, I've been watching narrowboat and canal documentaries on youtube and have absolutely fallen in love with it all.

n

Allez les renards! If they're on canals, they'll be limited to the same speed. Bon courage.

France has more than its share of interesting navigable waterways too, I hope you realise, just in case you have to retreat there. Our current favourite is the Canal de Garonne and its sort-of-offshoot the River Baise, which I do realise should have a tréma.

I'm watching the "Great Canal Journeys" documentary which mostly covers narrowboats but they also have 2 episodes (so far) in France. I'm watching the Canal du Midi one right now. So yes, I am considering it.

But I really love the smaller (narrow) boats and the smaller canals and the slower pace. Just much more romantic to me.

n

Apart from any hull implications from salt water I would avoid Lombardini engines. They seem to have their own fancy fuel injection system and use a cam belt. One range used shims in a pulley to adjust alternator belt tension as well. They are probably fine while they are working but..................

BT use/used small Lombardini engine in emergency generators for some small telephone exchanges. When I put a course together for them at TVU I was amazed that Lombardini UK refused to provide us with technical information or assistance. All i wanted was sufficient knowledge so we could advise the BT chaps where to stop with servicing etc. Other manufactures were always ready to help in one way or another but all I could get out of Lombardini was "tell them to contact our service agent". To my mind that probably indicates future problems with repairs and the costs associated with a near monopoly situation. I also recall a very experienced engineer who had reason to be very well informed suggesting the mo0st sensible place for a Lombardini was in a skip.

Edited to add - Although I prefer a longer boat when singe handing etc. if you can live comfortably on it then length is irrelevant apart from those marinas that impose minimum length charges. Too many advantages of shorter boats to list them here.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Tony, is it smart/possible to put a different engine in there? I suppose it's best to wait until something big happens... I don't mind swapping out engines if it's not to costly.

Also, what typically are the minimum lengths (in regards to charges) that you will see in marinas?

n

Tony, is it smart/possible to put a different engine in there? I suppose it's best to wait until something big happens... I don't mind swapping out engines if it's not to costly.

Also, what typically are the minimum lengths (in regards to charges) that you will see in marinas?

n

I wouldn't even consider changing the engine. My Lombardini is now 15 years old with 3000 hrs on the clock (not very high hours I admit). It has done several tidal passages without issue, it always starts at first turn, has never been smokey, and has never missed a beat. It has been serviced as per spec, which included a cam belt change at 2500 hours (an easy job and the old one was hardly worn). If you like the boat don't worry about the engine make, just check that it has been serviced regularly and runs smoothly.

It depends, I suppose, on your definition of "not costly", but I think you will not find many who have had need to do an engine swap, (to a a different type), and would still use that term afterwards!

Better to buy a boat with an engine you are unlikely to have qualms about.

Just had another look at the add. Price reduced. Didn't see that before.

Anyway, had a proper look this time. It looks a very tidy boat. And looked after. Just under £30,000 now so it's getting there. It seems there is a pram hood.

Martyn

Edit to add pram hood. There's a good selling point, to some!!!

Edited by Nightwatch

We have a Lombardini genset on the farm.(single cylinder). Its O.K.but can be a b~~~er to start. A lot of Springers had them,I think. Unless you are lucky and find a good second hand engine,a new unit could cost £5,000 to £6,000. We spent £6,000 on a re engine and that was fitting it ourselves.

Our first boat 35 years ago was a 21' and fibreglass it had a cooker, palomo water heater, table, somewhere to sleep and had a toilet come shower cubicle we enjoyed that boat as much as we now enjoying our 57' boat now.

Size isn't everything - they all have their merits, the important thing is get on the water and enjoy.

I haven't heard of many - indeed any - Spriingers having them. Perhaps you are thinking of the Ducati engine, which was fitted in some Springers.

I think Lombardinis were fitted as new equipment to some Springers, but I think we are not talking the same type as being discussed here.

Wow! Thank you all so much for your comments. That was fast.

I've contacted the owner by email and she says the boat was blacked 5 months ago when she bought it. Her reason for selling was that she bought a cruise boat. Not sure why it says "blacked - 2012" in the advertisement. I will ask her that. And also I will ask if it's been moored in salt water all this time...

No matter what I decide to buy, I will have a survey done.

As far as me thinking that small boats were discouraged, I had read a comment by someone in one of the online forums who said that. But it was only ONE person's opinion. I feel much more assured now after reading your comments.

I am 55 years old and good with my hands. I plan on living on the boat full time and traveling the canals full time (not permanently moored). I'm a great lover of peace and quiet and going slowly.

Another question I have. I am a dual national (American/French). Will it be a problem with me living on a boat in the UK, especially with all this brexit stuff going on? I am an EU citizen but not sure what my status is right now...

n

As the owner is giving different information to the advert are you sure the owner is the owner. She didn't live in Scotland or anywhere other than the boat?

Perhaps it might be a bit hard to get a suitable surveyor with experience of steel narrowboats, lumpy water surveyors in fact tend to treat ditch crawlers with much amusement. It is also true that any surveyor must be treated with much caution unless they come personally recommended by the gurus on here. If the boat really is moored in Shorham I guess that I might be the nearest member of the forum to it and I would be more than willing to meet up with the OP and provide another pair of eyes provided that he is greyhound friendly.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Hi

I am considering buying this 32 foot boat and I was reading somewhere that short boats are discouraged. So I have two questions. Why are they less favored? And my second question, is there anything about this boat that might send up a red flag to those who know narrowboats?

https://m.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=497139#map

thanks

Nick

Don’t like the look of that white plastic pipe coming off of the engine(Heat exchanger)? as it looks like push fit fitting, but otherwise it look quite a nice little N/B.

Perhaps it might be a bit hard to get a suitable surveyor with experience of steel narrowboats, lumpy water surveyors in fact tend to treat ditch crawlers with much amusement. It is also true that any surveyor must be treated with much caution unless they come personally recommended by the gurus on here. If the boat really is moored in Shorham I guess that I might be the nearest member of the forum to it and I would be more than willing to meet up with the OP and provide another pair of eyes provided that he is greyhound friendly.

Thank you, that is very kind of you.

n

You have to be careful as a first time buyer.

Nothing inherently wrong with a little boat except the market for them is dwindling. Once upon a time 30' would have been regarded as entry level, it's more like 40-45' now. As you are new to the game you will find out a lot about your needs/preferences within a few months and as a result you may want to sell her and buy something different. So you have to have half an eye on who might buy this boat in, say, a years time.

As regards the boat in question it is outrageously priced.

I suspect the owner got ripped off and is trying to get their money back.

For around £30k you would expect to get the best example of a 30' boat on the market. This isn't it.

I emailed her this thread to show her what people thought of the boat. Basically that it's a nice boat but to pricey. She stuck to her guns on the 29K price tag. I told her I would consider 25K and to contact me if she doesn't sell it. I'm looking at other boats on apollo duck right now.

n

I emailed her this thread to show her what people thought of the boat. Basically that it's a nice boat but to pricey. She stuck to her guns on the 29K price tag. I told her I would consider 25K and to contact me if she doesn't sell it. I'm looking at other boats on apollo duck right now.

n

Good move :)