to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

Yes, definitely. Very scant details also. Not very old either. Wonder if it's been vandalised or suffered a fire. No mention of.

Got me thinking.

To be honest non of the boats on his site have very good sales pictures but the site does say to ask for more detail and pictures if wanted.

There are only a couple of pictures of it on the site. Does look to be a good price though.

Yes, reputable shell builder, chunky shape, slow-thumping engine (I assume it's a Beta Tug JD3, which is a marinised John Deere tractor engine).

There are no photos of the interior. I wonder why not. It may be dire, or even empty.

EDIT: Mr. Watch and I are doing our "great minds think alike" routine, I see.

Edited by Athy

Cal, do you think that boat you posted is a better deal than the second boat I posted for 22,000 pounds? That boat had no windows, only 3 little port holes.

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=499638

Dave, I guess there are a few reasons why I would like a smaller boat. Requires less fuel, easier to maneuver. The only possessions I have are 3 guitars and a bicycle and I don't really need or want a lot of space. The second boat I posted was 38 feet and that seems like a very nice length for one person. I would be very comfortable in that.

n

Athy, it depends on who you ask. Just please don't ask my mom about what I wear...

One more thing, I'm making appointments right now to come up to England next week and see 3 boats. I'm very excited. smile.png

n

Edited by nickfox

Athy, it depends on who you ask. Just please don't ask my mom about what I wear...

One more thing, I'm making appointments right now to come up to England next week and see 3 boats. I'm very excited. smile.png

n

Splendid! (or, if your French hat is on, formidable!)

Do these include boats which have had links in this thread?

Dave, I will definitely do that.

Athy, yes, it does. It is the boat that started off this thread (Eventide) and the second boat I posted (Moorhen). I have not posted a link to the third boat because in my eyes it is so beautiful that I'm afraid that if someone sees it, they will snatch it up...

I'm going to be looking at one boat in Brighton and two boats up north in Barbridge. If anyone from the forum would like to meet me at either of those locations next week and help me look at the boats, that would be really cool. I'll buy you lunch or something.

n

I may be a miserable O.G. but I am a bit dismayed about the OP thinking of buying a boat just on the thought of cruising 'our wonderful canal system'.

a NB is NARROW, that means in practical terms it's around 5ft 6ins wide in 'proper measurement'. Coupled with the shortness of the target boat, it could be very cramped inside.

Looking at the photo of his log cabin - I'm guessing it's 4m x 5m? I've just erected a 6 X 5 cabin with similar aspect and the usable space is tiny. When empty it looks huge, with a bit of racking, a desk and chair for The Management - it looks considerably smaller...

Remember in a NB there's 4 - 6ft for the bow and deck, 6-7 ft for the engine space / cruiser stern / semi trad, leaving 20ft for accommodation.

Into that you have to fit a loo, bath, washbasin, stove, somewhere to sit, a bed. Fine for an idyllic summer short break, but in soggy GB - even if you're hardy could / can be a disaster - even for the most self reliant....

One of the first boats we hired was a 45 footer in an English summer - it was just about usable, the stove too near the bed, kitchen a bit tight, loo- knees up to chest etc, etc.

If you're going to spend good money then go for 40 - 50ft. There's room to park the bike and a bit of space, so that you don't have to tidy one area before using another. All is fine in the summer, but then what about a wet spring, dull autumn and six months of winter...

Enough, already...

Cal, do you think that boat you posted is a better deal than the second boat I posted for 22,000 pounds? That boat had no windows, only 3 little port holes.

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=499638

Dave, I guess there are a few reasons why I would like a smaller boat. Requires less fuel, easier to maneuver. The only possessions I have are 3 guitars and a bicycle and I don't really need or want a lot of space. The second boat I posted was 38 feet and that seems like a very nice length for one person. I would be very comfortable in that.

n

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

OldGoat, when I come up to look at boats next week, I will keep an open mind and take a look at a number of boats of varying lengths. I am by no means hardset against a longer boat.

n

It is sensible to keep an open mind but don't lose sight what will work for you. My husband and I are very happy in our 40 foot trad stern and have no plans to go bigger at present. I love being able to turn around more easily and nip into smaller mooring spaces and with less space there is less temptation to keep lots of clutter around. The minimalist lifestyle works for us, and we have several instruments on board :)

Cal, a lot of Americans have a fondness for big cars and big houses (McMansions). I'm not one of them. I much prefer cozy little "hobbit-y" houses. And the small narrowboats look very hobbit-y to me. Maybe not the strongest reason...

Trillian, I look forward to being able to wake up in my boat 10 miles from nowhere and play my guitar as loud as I want. That thought brings me great joy. :)

Trillian, I look forward to being able to wake up in my boat 10 miles from nowhere and play my guitar as loud as I want. That thought brings me great joy. smile.png

Players of bagpipes are especially encouraged to seek such solitude.

Cal, a lot of Americans have a fondness for big cars and big houses (McMansions). I'm not one of them. I much prefer cozy little "hobbit-y" houses. And the small narrowboats look very hobbit-y to me. Maybe not the strongest reason...

Trillian, I look forward to being able to wake up in my boat 10 miles from nowhere and play my guitar as loud as I want. That thought brings me great joy. smile.png

We like our little 23ft boat. It is more then adequate for the 3 or 4 nights a week we spend on it and the 2-3 week holidays that we spend on it. We have everything on board that we need to be comfy. But we couldn't live on it, it would be too much of a squeeze with the two of us.

Having a small boat does have its advantages but there are also several downsides.

We have often used the instruments to ensure quiet moorings - once I get the violin out it goes very quiet very quickly lol. I hope to see you out there.