to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

If I may make so bold, Laurie B's is a later boat / or built to a better specification; looks more like a 'conventional' NB, and I assume it's not a V-hull?

The Springer "Tug" was introduced about 1987 I think. Laurie will know more about its nether regions than I do.

Athy, do you have a picture of your boat, the Trojan?

n

A small picture of her appears on my avatar. I'm afraid that I am unsure how to post photos on the thread (though someone did kindly attempt to show me); however, I can try to e-mail a bigger one to you.

She is not for sale I'm afraid!

Nick, you raise a VERY good question, and one which many of us are perhaps too close to have noticed. You, looking on with fresh eyes, have spotted something which a lot of us take for granted.

It is indeed a very common colour scheme. Blue instead of green is probably almost as common. Whether it was originally an imitation of a former working boat livery I don't know. One of the major hire fleets sports something similar, maybe they set the trend years ago.

It can look smart (as Laurie's boat does) but I would not want a craft with such a colour scheme. We could never find it in the car park.* Hence, our 'Trojan' is purple.

* humour anglais!

I like the colour of trojan when I passed it, a little different.

IIRC the t shirt you had on was not quite as nice (insert winking smiley)

The Springer "Tug" was introduced about 1987 I think. Laurie will know more about its nether regions than I do.

A small picture of her appears on my avatar. I'm afraid that I am unsure how to post photos on the thread (though someone did kindly attempt to show me); however, I can try to e-mail a bigger one to you.

She is not for sale I'm afraid!

Here's a photo of Trojan from Mel Davis website, before she was painted

628528Trojan.jpg

Peter.

I like the colour of trojan when I passed it, a little different.

IIRC the t shirt you had on was not quite as nice (insert winking smiley)

Where was that, Dave, when we were moored in the lower part of the Atherstone flight in September?

I cannot recall which T-shirt I had on. I do have two or three Trojan-related ones which I often wear while on the boat.

Yes on the atherstone flight, think it was very pink with writing on the front?

PINK??? I do not own any pink clothes. I was talking to another boater, whose very gorgeous and shiny Hudson was parked just in front of us - perhaps he was wearing pink (it wasn't a forum member by the way).

Ha ha yes the shiny boat, I followed him up the locks and had a chat to him whilst working the locks, that was a very, very, very shiny boat and top of the shine it had extra shine!

It had been a long week doing the BCN so I guess I was wrong.

Nice boat though is trojan, did you note trojan III at hartshill, by the crt yard?

If you buy a used boat and would like to put in central heating (radiators), how big of a deal is that and what would be a ballpark cost for a 40 foot boat?

thanks

Nick

How would you be 'powering' the radiators ?

If you are talking about a stand-alone diesel system (eg Eberspacher) then £2000 should see you with a few pennies change (depending on the location of cupboards etc.

If you are talking about a solid fuel fired back-boiler system and the (presumably) already installed fire did not have a back-boiler, then you would need to 1) have a fire which can have a back boiler fitted, or 2) Buy a complete new 'fire & back boiler'

I would suggest that, again, it would be in the order of £2000 for option 2.

Prices include radiators, pipe-work and labour and the 'water heating system' (allow extra for pump if needed)

DIY would reduce the cost - depends if you want a professional to install it.

Unless you have a central heating pump installed into the system (additional £300+ ?) then you are relying on a thermo-siphon system and you need a gradual 'slope' on the pipes to allow hot water to rise into the radiators and 'cold' to return to the 'boiler' - not quite like a domestic installation.

If you buy a used boat and would like to put in central heating (radiators), how big of a deal is that and what would be a ballpark cost for a 40 foot boat?

thanks

Nick

How would you be 'powering' the radiators ?

If you are talking about a stand-alone diesel system (eg Eberspacher) then £2000 should see you with a few pennies change (depending on the location of cupboards etc.

If you are talking about a solid fuel fired back-boiler system and the (presumably) already installed fire did not have a back-boiler, then you would need to 1) have a fire which can have a back boiler fitted, or 2) Buy a complete new 'fire & back boiler'

I would suggest that, again, it would be in the order of £2000 for option 2.

Prices include radiators, pipe-work and labour and the 'water heating system' (allow extra for pump if needed)

DIY would reduce the cost - depends if you want a professional to install it.

Unless you have a central heating pump installed into the system (additional £300+ ?) then you are relying on a thermo-siphon system and you need a gradual 'slope' on the pipes to allow hot water to rise into the radiators and 'cold' to return to the 'boiler' - not quite like a domestic installation.

Thank you Alan. I'm not sure yet which system I would use. I may even ending getting a boat with one built in. But I just wanted to know if it was feasible and how much. Now I know and that's important information to me. Thanks.

n

Edited by nickfox

I guess you guys can tell I'm on somewhat of a budget. If you buy a boat that has a faded/oxidized paint job but still looks good is there someway to refresh the paint like wet sanding it with some 1500 grit paper and putting on a clear coat after that? Is that something that people do?

thanks

n

I guess you guys can tell I'm on somewhat of a budget. If you buy a boat that has a faded/oxidized paint job but still looks good is there someway to refresh the paint like wet sanding it with some 1500 grit paper and putting on a clear coat after that? Is that something that people do?

thanks

n

There is a product used by the motor trade which removes a very very thin layer of topcoat from the vehicle's paint, thus exposing the shinier paint beneath. Could called "T-Cut" but I have no doubt there are various brands which do a similar job.

Why, have you found a loveable but dingy boat?

Silicon spray?

They probably do, while more sensible people apply their paint using a brush or roller.

There is a product used by the motor trade which removes a very very thin layer of topcoat from the vehicle's paint, thus exposing the shinier paint beneath. Could called "T-Cut" but I have no doubt there are various brands which do a similar job.

Why, have you found a loveable but dingy boat?

They probably do, while more sensible people apply their paint using a brush or roller.

Mike, I found this boat, the Little Stinker, that I think is really cute. smile.png

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=500179

and as you can see, the paint could use a little freshening up.

n

Edited by nickfox

I restored the paint on my boat by using Farecla G3. Initially I tried T-Cut, but the paint soon went patchy again.

Finish off with 2 coats of Craftmaster Caranuba Wax.

Edited to add the last sentance.

Edited by cuthound