to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

Hey Guys, I am in England! I just spent the past couple of hours at the Barbridge Inn and met all sorts of boaters. The place is crawling with them. And they were all very nice people. Today was the first day that I saw narrowboats in person. And here was my big revelation.

THEY ARE A LOT SMALLER THAN I THOUGHT!

The internet seems to make things appear bigger than in real life. I spent an hour with Steve at Tattenhall Marina and he showed me the little stinker and a couple of other boats. He is really a VERY knowledgeable person and he answered tons of narrowboat questions for me.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to go have a look at the Moorhen narrowboat at the Barbridge Marina. Tonight, I met a painter named John who is the person who actually painted Moorhen. Such a small and interesting world.

I'm going to answer a few of the questions that people posted above.

Athy, yes, being able to use my laptop and connect to the internet is absolutely mission critical. I am willing to buy a lesser boat and work on it but when it comes to internet, I will spare no expense to have a solid, top quality connection. I LIVE on the internet and have been doing so since 1989. Yes, it's important to me. smile.png

OldGoat, yes, I am starting to see that size matters...

Alan, yes, I do want a proper bed...

Cal, I have thought a little about the cruisers but for me, they just don't have the charm of a steel narrowboat and I don't want to live in a piece of plastic.

Anyway, I have put my money where my mouth is and come up here to have a look. I will keep you all posted as to what I decide.

n

Each to their own.

We could never live in a sheet of steel submerged in water either rolleyes.gif

The tip to do at least one holiday on a NB before buying one is a bit late, isn´t it?

I always like to immagine buying one and every time after a hireboat-holiday I know a bit better what would suit me best (size, layout, equipment,...). So one day ...

Anyway, in Germany we say "Luck is with the brave ones." and living on a NB is a very nice option if your job is flexible enough.

Hey Guys, I am in England! I just spent the past couple of hours at the Barbridge Inn and met all sorts of boaters. The place is crawling with them. And they were all very nice people. Today was the first day that I saw narrowboats in person. And here was my big revelation.

The internet seems to make things appear bigger than in real life. I spent an hour with Steve at Tattenhall Marina and he showed me the little stinker and a couple of other boats. He is really a VERY knowledgeable person and he answered tons of narrowboat questions for me.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to go have a look at the Moorhen narrowboat at the Barbridge Marina. Tonight, I met a painter named John who is the person who actually painted Moorhen. Such a small and interesting world.

I'm going to answer a few of the questions that people posted above.

Athy, yes, being able to use my laptop and connect to the internet is absolutely mission critical. I am willing to buy a lesser boat and work on it but when it comes to internet, I will spare no expense to have a solid, top quality connection. I LIVE on the internet and have been doing so since 1989. Yes, it's important to me. smile.png

OldGoat, yes, I am starting to see that size matters...

Alan, yes, I do want a proper bed...

Cal, I have thought a little about the cruisers but for me, they just don't have the charm of a steel narrowboat and I don't want to live in a piece of plastic.

Anyway, I have put my money where my mouth is and come up here to have a look. I will keep you all posted as to what I decide.

n

Hooooray - now the message is getting home...

I see an 'elephant in the room' has materialised, that is t'internet connection.

I'm sorry to say that the UK is very third world when it comes to any form of internet connection. (Most of that is due to poor government legislation).

Many folks on here (I guess) moor in or around large towns - where wireless connection can be good to excellent. If you like me moor out in the sticks then connection at all may be near impossible or poor to moderate.

Surprisingly laptops can be quite power hungry, so you WILL need a proper power setup and adequate batteries.

Best if your chosen boat has an inverter already, decent battery banks and a properly designed charging arrangement (larger alternator, 3-4 battery bank, charge controller).

Ok, so here's where I'm at. I have now visited little Tinker and Moorhen and several other boats. Moorhen was by FAR the nicest boat.

And it was sold. There was one person ahead of me and they bought it. I told Steve at Barbridge marina that I would like second dibs on the boat if the purchase fell through and he said ok.

The little Tinker was really more a little Tired than I would have liked. And after seeing the quality of Moorhen, it's hard to look at lesser boats now.

Jak, I'm trying to determine what the best antenna/amplifier that will pull in both wifi and cell phone signals and select which connection is best automatically.

nikvah, I found this other set of documentaries, about 80 ten minute docs from a reporter who bought a narrowboat and talks about his experience as a novice boat owner. They are helping me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9px3O5n5hCH-GLteYqai7jQ4qTNpwA8

OldGoat, I would also like to get a nice big solar panel layout.

n

Ok, so here's where I'm at. I have now visited little Tinker and Moorhen and several other boats. Moorhen was by FAR the nicest boat.

And it was sold. There was one person ahead of me and they bought it. I told Steve at Barbridge marina that I would like second dibs on the boat if the purchase fell through and he said ok.

The little Tinker was really more a little Tired than I would have liked. And after seeing the quality of Moorhen, it's hard to look at lesser boats now.

Jak, I'm trying to determine what the best antenna/amplifier that will pull in both wifi and cell phone signals and select which connection is best automatically.

nikvah, I found this other set of documentaries, about 80 ten minute docs from a reporter who bought a narrowboat and talks about his experience as a novice boat owner. They are helping me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9px3O5n5hCH-GLteYqai7jQ4qTNpwA8

OldGoat, I would also like to get a nice big solar panel layout.

n

Any luck with the Mysterious Lady Of The South Country? Come to think of it though, I guess that you now realise that a 32-footer may be too small for you.

I take it that you have perused the Apollo Duck Narrowboats sales web site? Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but it's worth mentioning just in case you haven't discovered it yet. Lots and lots of n/bs for sale.

Just had a quick google around for some example GRP boats for you.

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/norman-27-aft-cockpit-boat-for-sale-6637.html

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/viking-32-aft-cabin-boat-for-sale-6547.html

https://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9325-tuksumduin/

All of which would leave you plenty of budget to add things like solar panels etc. to aid with your power generation.

I would go for the middle one if it was me. I think that would offer better living space.

Hooooray - now the message is getting home...

I see an 'elephant in the room' has materialised, that is t'internet connection.

I'm sorry to say that the UK is very third world when it comes to any form of internet connection. (Most of that is due to poor government legislation).

Many folks on here (I guess) moor in or around large towns - where wireless connection can be good to excellent. If you like me moor out in the sticks then connection at all may be near impossible or poor to moderate.

Surprisingly laptops can be quite power hungry, so you WILL need a proper power setup and adequate batteries.

Best if your chosen boat has an inverter already, decent battery banks and a properly designed charging arrangement (larger alternator, 3-4 battery bank, charge controller).

My laptop when in use and on charge uses as much as my fridge

My laptop when in use and on charge uses as much as my fridge

That's a great confirmation - especially as "everybody" says 'it's the fridge that eats all the power'.

I only use a laptop sparingly when on board - but do notice that the power supply gets very hot.

Athy, I'm back home in Cazouls. A lot of days driving. I will post something more interesting when I am rested. smile.png

n

Can a cruiser boat like that safely cross the channel?

On a 'good day' with an experienced crew and the correct safety equipment - yes.

The Channel is the most congested / busiest waterway in the world and needs a certain level of experience to traverse it.

That boat is 'cheap' because it has a petrol outboard engine - not ideal as :

1) Petrol is not readily available.

2) Outboard engines do not have the capability to charge a boats domestic batteries (particularly if liveaboard use)

3) Outboard engines do not have the ability to provide hot water (no pot washing, showers etc)

Has anyone bought a boat from ABC boat sales? Do they drive a hard bargain?

n

If the boat is 'privately owned' and the broker is purely acting as a 'marriage / introductory agent' then they will only drive the 'hard bargain' as far as the owner demands. It is normal that as part of the selling agreement that the broker will refer all offers to the seller who can then respond via the broker as to his wishes.

There is one un-ethical broker (in the Midlands) who makes their own 'decisions' and I was told (for example) that my offer was an insult and they refused to pass it on. The boat had been for sale for 5+ years and the engine had not run in that time, the windows were double glazed and the seals damaged so were all misted up inside. It needed about £15k spending on it to bring it up to the 'market price' they valued it at (hence it not selling).

If you buy from a private seller (even if you buy via a broker) then the 'Sale of Goods Act' does not apply and it is a case of 'buyer beware' (you have no come back or guarantees).

If you are buying from a seller who is selling in the course of a business (maybe - as an example) ie a Broker who has taken a part exchange and now 'owns' the boat, then the Sales of Goods Act is enforceable, the boat must be fit-for-purpose and can be returned for a full refund within a certain time period.

Few brokers will actually admit to owning the boat - instead - they suddenly become the 'personal property of the companies 'Financial Director' and hence not a 'business sale'.

CAVEAT EMPTOR !!!!