stove flue going out through canopy? bad idea?

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.

I am trying to install my solid fuel burning stove on a norman river cruiser. Because of the moulding of the boat i have been trying to measure a chimney at an angle because straight above where the stove will go leads into the centre cockpit. But last night i had a revelation idea and wondered if i could take the flue straight up through the centre cockpit and up out the canopy????

Is it possible to take the flue through the canopy safely? will it be too hot or a fire hazard?

what would i need to install in the point where it goes through the canopy???

thanks for any help!

x

Eskimos Igloos have lovely shiny interior walls because they light fires in the centre of them, I think. But they're always in a constant stew in case a burglar should turn up with a blowlamp.

Edited by bizzard

Hi everyone.

I am trying to install my solid fuel burning stove on a norman river cruiser. Because of the moulding of the boat i have been trying to measure a chimney at an angle because straight above where the stove will go leads into the centre cockpit. But last night i had a revelation idea and wondered if i could take the flue straight up through the centre cockpit and up out the canopy????

Is it possible to take the flue through the canopy safely? will it be too hot or a fire hazard?

what would i need to install in the point where it goes through the canopy???

thanks for any help!

x

There has been a narrowboat on a mooring for many years by us, where a stove flue goes through the fabric of the cratch cover. As others have suggested, it goes through a sheet of metal (looks like stainless steel) and the fabric in turn is fastened to that with studs. I havent measured it, but would estimate that the fabric is a good 6 inches or so away from the flue pipe.

if you have to ask a question like that you should not be on a boat.

Using that logic, nobody would be on a boat, ever.

by eck full of it hey. Just hope you dont need to ask anything...or have you not got a boat as if you ask a question you will take your own advice.

I would as said look at tents etc that use stoves, and a good material is fire board, that can be use and works great to resist heat. To lowe/fold awayr the canopy it would need the flue above the canopy to be detachable. , the lower section could stay.

I thought that was harsh too, a bit like when someone said to me maybe boat life isnt for you before i even lived on one.

Dont judge, as above the military have done it for year's maybe all be it living quarters or cook tents with loads of high level vents.

My advice to the op is watch out for live debris landing on the canvas and look at where your/if gas pipes/tank are in that location.

Personally i would never sleep on a boat with a burner flue going through a canvas of any sort.

Its not a good idea

Edited by Greylady2
  • Greenie 1

I thought that was harsh too, a bit like when someone said to me maybe boat life isnt for you before i even lived on one.

Dont judge, as above the military have done it for year's maybe all be it living quarters or cook tents with loads of high level vents.

My advice to the op is watch out for live debris landing on the canvas and look at where your/if gas pipes/tank are in that location.

Personally i would never sleep on a boat with a burner flue going through a canvas of any sort.

Its not a good idea

I think I posed that as a question if I recall correctly.

Rather than saying someone should not be on a boat.

Two different scenarios. :)

Edited by MJG

I think possibly a look at http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdfwhich is the standard accepted by BSS.

If insulated chimney sections are used then where it goes through the canvas it should not be very hot.

Also maybe a look at the a spark arrester to stop any hot bits from the stove landing on the canvas.

Also ask BSS their contact email is bss.enquiries@boatsafetyscheme.org they should be able to advise on what would be acceptable to them.

• Greenie 1

There are plenty of working boat conversions where the flue goes out through the cloths, never really studied them though to see what heat protection they put round.

Also occasionally seen on some camping sites in UK and France where they have pre-erected 'glamping' tents/tepees with stoves inside. I've noticed what ever surrounds the flue is a different material/substance but not sure exactly what it's made of.

Also occasionally seen on some camping sites in UK and France where they have pre-erected 'glamping' tents/tepees with stoves inside. I've noticed what ever surrounds the flue is a different material/substance but not sure exactly what it's made of.

Burnt canvas, presumably!

Burnt canvas, presumably!

Well it would be if it wasn't made of canvas as in.

I've noticed what ever surrounds the flue is a different material/substance but not sure exactly what it's made of.

Probably something not actually canvas at all. More like something like rigid fire board perhaps???

http://coloradoyurt.com/yurts/stovepipe-install/