Stoves on people!

Dave_P

Featured Posts

The temperature for much of England and Wales is forecast to drop below freezing tonight for the first time this winter. Stay warm everyone, stoves on, hot water bottles on standby!

We barely had a frost in Brum last winter so I'm looking forward to a proper bit of ice and snow this time round.

Edited by Dave_P

I just hope the snow stays away until I get my winter tyres delivered and fitted. Currently sat at Oldbury according to the tracking number. I have a rear wheel drive automatic volvo 240 estate and it's rubbish in the snow on Michelin energy savers. Hoping the goodyear ultragrip 9 will sort that out!

Where I am we have had frosts already near Burton On Trent. Certainly is the time of year to have the stove ticking over. I am also in the next few weeks installing a webasto diesel boiler to run my existing rads, that my stove heats and adding bigger radiators in the salon for those times when it's not cold enough to light the fire.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I just hope the snow stays away until I get my winter tyres delivered and fitted. Currently sat at Oldbury according to the tracking number. I have a rear wheel drive automatic volvo 240 estate and it's rubbish in the snow on Michelin energy savers. Hoping the goodyear ultragrip 9 will sort that out!

James:cheers:

Try a. Volvo V70 on Continental Contact 3 s if you want to experience rubbish. My old Volvo 740 -first cousin to your 240 - was totally sure footed in comparison.

And yes, the V 70 is front wheel drive.

Frank

Try a. Volvo V70 on Continental Contact 3 s if you want to experience rubbish. My old Volvo 740 -first cousin to your 240 - was totally sure footed in comparison.

And yes, the V 70 is front wheel drive.

Frank

I also had a 740, a 1986 740 GLE estate with B230K Engine. That was ok in snow on summer tyres, but a manual. This had budget summer tyres (admiral powermax) and was good in snow until the 2nd winter the tyres had worn down, but still acceptable. Did a lovely Scandinavian flick, for the fun of it!!

Jamescheers.gif

Surprising the V70 was rubbish in snow!

Edited by canals are us?

Yep.

Parents drained Paloma Sunday night, and this morning I had a frozen windscreen for the first time.

Roll on the snow,we shall see if the E46 330ci is anything like as capable as the E36 316.

Daniel

assume that's a joke Dan ? I had a 318d and it was the worst thing ever created in the snow , Indeed all Beemers are pants had an X5 Also and it was equally useless in the white stuff even with 4wd .. Beemers are fab every other time but a bit of snow and they are shocking ... have an old P38 rangey now and that's unstoppable rain snow or shine

I just hope the snow stays away until I get my winter tyres delivered and fitted. Currently sat at Oldbury according to the tracking number.

Hope you got your tyres. That depot at Oldbury is huge, running along way alongside the BCN Old Main Line.

Hope you got your tyres. That depot at Oldbury is huge, running along way alongside the BCN Old Main Line.

Finally got them today. Checked the tracking numbers this morning and they said I wasn't there to sign for them and they left a card!

I live at a marina and the Marina office said no one had tried to deliver any tyres and they close at 4pm but no card was posted through the door. Nobody had phoned me either. Carried on with my work and around 11.30 got a call from DPD. The driver asked if he could deliver them at the marina office. Reading DPD reviews is grim. I ordered through tyreleader who use DPD it would seem.

I am getting them fitted at 4pm tomorrow.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

assume that's a joke Dan ? I had a 318d and it was the worst thing ever created in the snow , Indeed all Beemers are pants had an X5 Also and it was equally useless in the white stuff even with 4wd .. Beemers are fab every other time but a bit of snow and they are shocking ... have an old P38 rangey now and that's unstoppable rain snow or shine

In fairness, be 21 years old and hence on smaller, narrower and move conventional profile tyres it was actaully not that bad at all, certainly it faired as well most modern fwd cars on getting places, if less manageble when it did break traction under drive.

For a number of years I also ran it on a set of part-worn winters, which made a huge difference even just in the wet as soon as it got below about 5deg.

The 330 has wide low profiles and traction control, which are all new to me and without any snow hear last year, only time will tell !

Daniel