Stern Tube Greaser

Featured Posts

Is there a knack in refilling the greaser? I 've tried spooning it in and sticking the greaser barrel into the grease tub and 'sucking' up the grease by winding back the piston. Whatever I try I still get air trapped in the greaser. Any suggestions?

Take the top off the greaser so it's a tube open at both ends, push tube down on grease tin until grease comes out of the top. Screw the top back on.

Edit - sorry SG beat me to it.

Edited by Neil2

No to all the above. Take the tube off the bottom foot but keep the screw turned down.

Hold the open bottom firmly over the hole in the disk in the can (as per the open both ends method).

While maintaining moderate downward pressure with one hand unscrew the screw with the other.

Grease will be drawn into the tube and fill it up.

No mess at all unless you tip the tube and disk.

I've tried Tony's method and it didn't work. I reckon it depends on getting an air tight seal between the foot of the tube and the disk in the tin.

The 'open at both ends and shove it down' method did it for me.

The only trouble I had was screwing things back together. The thread used is quite fine, compared with the diameter of the tube, and quite easy to cross thread.

Is there a knack in refilling the greaser? I 've tried spooning it in and sticking the greaser barrel into the grease tub and 'sucking' up the grease by winding back the piston. Whatever I try I still get air trapped in the greaser. Any suggestions?

Is your gun removable ? Mine is not. I will explain if your gun is the same as mine.

Is your gun removable ? Mine is not. I will explain if your gun is the same as mine.

By gun you mean the brass cylinder? If so mine screws off completely from the base as does the other end with the plunger.

I've tried Tony's method but doesn't work for me.

No to all the above. Take the tube off the bottom foot but keep the screw turned down.

Hold the open bottom firmly over the hole in the disk in the can (as per the open both ends method).

While maintaining moderate downward pressure with one hand unscrew the screw with the other.

Grease will be drawn into the tube and fill it up.

No mess at all unless you tip the tube and disk.

Works for me.

(Usually!)

I can't use the hole in the disc in the can method as I have a big tub of grease and it doesn't have a disc.

I have the same trouble, no disc. Therefore I add a small amount of grease and push a length of wood through it which seems to let the air escape and then push some more grease in and repeat until I decide I've put enough in.

I have the same trouble, no disc. Therefore I add a small amount of grease and push a length of wood through it which seems to let the air escape and then push some more grease in and repeat until I decide I've put enough in.

Do you then put the greasy stick into your stove?

I've tried Tony's method and it didn't work. I reckon it depends on getting an air tight seal between the foot of the tube and the disk in the tin.

The 'open at both ends and shove it down' method did it for me.

The only trouble I had was screwing things back together. The thread used is quite fine, compared with the diameter of the tube, and quite easy to cross thread.

All I can say is it has worked for me across a range of boats. I suspect those who fail may either not be putting enough downward pressure on the disk in the grease tin or their hands wobble. Otherwise the open both ends is the way to go. If you are using the spatula and blobs of grease method you are likely to trap a considerable amount of air in the tube along with the grease. This makes refill times come around faster.

As my tube has been modded and only winds down i do this. (All i did was take the secure nut off the bottom of the shaft where it connects to the disc)

I unscrew it from the base i unscrew the shaft till it comes out. (Just the shaft not the top)

I push the pressure disc up inside to the top

Now as i have a big tub of grease i just use a small scraper to fill the tube and air is let out the hole threw the disc and out the top. You can use a container with a hole in and just sit the greaser over the hole and push down still let the air out threw the hole.

Now once filled (you know its full as the grease comes threw the hole a tiny bit)

Now put the shaft back in it will then push against the disc screw it till it moves the disc the use your scraper to level off the bottom and attach back to the base.

+ if someone unscrews my greaser it has no effect on the system dosnt move the disc so no grease gets sucked out the line it just dosnt add any in just a fail safe incase someone uses it but not sure as to what there doing. Atleast i know no grease is sucked out.

Ive not had a problem with air so far.

I should add you should be able to use tonys method has worked for me in the past but as im making my boat so friends fam can just turn up turn on the main electric and go boating im making it as idiot proof as possable. Hence my modded greaser.

Edited by billybobbooth

......................If you are using the spatula and blobs of grease method you are likely to trap a considerable amount of air in the tube along with the grease. This makes refill times come around faster.

Not if you unwind 20mm at a time, though it does take about 5mins to fill it. I agree if you fully unwind and start pushing grease in you will end up with about 75% air.