Bath or shower

jddevel

Featured Posts

Is it possible to get a consensus on whether to fit a bath or a shower in my sailaway? Whilst I realise that a bath can also accommodate a shower there is a "design" issue. At home we`ve not used a bath for as long as I remember although one is available. We just use showers. What would you fit and why would help. Than you.

I have just fitted a shower after considering a bath and the reason I took that route was less water is required, less space required. However, the shower curtain is a pain and to get the height I need I don't have a waste hole just the tray therefore I have to use a whale gulper to pump the water out which is a bit of a pain when you get towards the point when all the water is nearly out of the tray. I also had to have the tray custom made without the waste hole and to fit the space available.

Edited by rubblequeen

The boat had a bath when we got it but we have never used it because of the water needed and the power required to heat said water.

The previous owner was on a permanent marina mooring and did not cruise the boat so probably had different priorities.

We have a 4ft bath with a shower over it. We use it as a show and I like the extra room it gives over a shower base, also no problem with over topping with water before starting the emptying pump.

I have a 100 x 76cm shower which is room enuff to dry yourself in after showering. (Or for two to shower in together, just.)

I turn on the gulper before I turn the shower on and leave it on. No standing water at any time and no risk of overtopping.

I have bifold doors on two sides, one for entry/exit & the other for access to my waterworks. These consist of manifolds as all my waterpipes and pumps are brought together here. Shower curtains are cheap & not cheerful.

I use a 55L calorifier at present and soon will be able to use a Morco instead (switchable).

The cauliflower does 2 showers immediately after heating.

If you install a shower tray I'd recommend getting one with an upstand. (A raised edge all around)

Plumb in the walls in such a way that water won't go up the upstand by capillary action when seals fail.

No way would I have a bath as the water tank filling time is too long (2 x 400L = ~80mins) and I don't want to do it more often.

While a shower saves on water, a hip bath with shower :

1. Gives more room for a shower than a shower tray

2. Allows you to shower in peace and quiet without the drain pump running, run the pump while drying

3. The bath also makes a good place to soak clothes etc that have to be handwashed

4. It allows the odd soak when water is easy to come by.

So I would put a bath in with shower over

While a shower saves on water, a hip bath with shower :

1. Gives more room for a shower than a shower tray

2. Allows you to shower in peace and quiet without the drain pump running, run the pump while drying

3. The bath also makes a good place to soak clothes etc that have to be handwashed

4. It allows the odd soak when water is easy to come by.

So I would put a bath in with shower over

Good suggestion; you could also consider a 3/4 size bath.

I always wanted a bath (I love to wallow like a hippo) on my boat and when I had to rip out all the bathroom/shower and the bulkhead wall due to a water leak I took advantage to install an L shaped bath which incorporates a shower. When it is eventually finished it can be used as a shower however its still a WIP. I have a bath almost every night however I am on shoreline on a pontoon so heating on the immersion and filling up more freqeuntly isnt an issue for me.

I LOVE IT.

The only downside is "planning" as it needs immersion on for longer to heat the 75l calorifier as only 1kw element, however I can currently turn the immersion on remotely from my phone via the wifi. I am upgrading all the shoreline cables and cables to from invertor and immersion to 32a/4mm so that I can switch out to a 2kw or possibly 3kw element in due course. .

One thing to consider. IF the bath breaks and needs replacing, how are you going to get a new one in? In my case I had just intended to cut a bath shaped hole in the bedroom/bathroom bulkhead however when the leak occured I didnt need to.

oh yes and if you can fit a Whale Gulper grey waste tank, I have the 16l version fitted so it accumulates water in there and then activates the pump when the float switch kicks in. As my sink cannot go out the side it also goes into the tank. It means I can brush my teeth and the waste pump doesnt come on. Combined with a large accumulator it also means the water pump doesnt kick in either. It is funny how nice being able to brush your teeth or run a tap is without the noise of either incoming water pump or waste pump kicking in.

ditchcrawler, on 03 Oct 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

We have a 4ft bath with a shower over it. We use it as a show and I like the extra room it gives over a shower base, also no problem with over topping with water before starting the emptying pump.

WE do that as well

rubblequeen, on 03 Oct 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

I have just fitted a shower after considering a bath and the reason I took that route was less water is required, less space required. However, the shower curtain is a pain and to get the height I need I don't have a waste hole just the tray therefore I have to use a whale gulper to pump the water out which is a bit of a pain when you get towards the point when all the water is nearly out of the tray. I also had to have the tray custom made without the waste hole and to fit the space available.

Having hired (many years ago) with small sized showers where the curtains cling unpleasantly and hip bath types - which were awkward....

I chose a bath precisely because of the above situations. It also has the advantage that you can do a small amount of washing clothes in it and / or a cheap twin tub washing machine - our one only has a drain pipe - no pump.

With a washing line over you can also drip-dry washing as well.

We have a 4ft bath, and my wife likes baths so it gets lots of use. I agree it works well for the shower as well, and for washing clothes in when the need arises. As long as you don't fill the bath it is not killer on water usage, so I would say have what it is that works for you, if you like having baths them put a bath in.

I don't like baths and I think a proper shower/wet room is much better than a shower over a bath, but I fully understand others much prefer baths. Therefore there can never be a consensus.

Please don't let your next question be "What type of toilet should I put next to my shower/bath"

Edited by Chewbacka

There is a 3rd way, The Japanese style tub bath which take up no more floor space than a standard shower. I'm thinking of installing one in the shower space when the bathroom is next refited.

compact-ft14-koromo-bath-334x250.jpg

Or if cash is short. there is always one of theses, available from Arkwrights Stores

large-tin-bath-r80.jpg