BOATERS ASKED TO TAKE PART IN SURVEY ABOUT LONDON PRE-BOOKABLE MOORING OPTION

Ray T

Featured Posts

1 July 2016

BOATERS ASKED TO TAKE PART IN SURVEY ABOUT LONDON PRE-BOOKABLE MOORING OPTION

The Canal & River Trust is conducting a survey to gauge the level of demand for boaters wanting to visit the capital together with their interest in being able to pre-book a short-stay mooring ahead of their arrival.

Matthew Symonds, boating strategy & engagement manager at Canal & River Trust, said: “London’s waterways are busier than ever, with an extra 400 boats arriving in the capital over the past year. While it’s exciting to see new people coming onto the water, it does pose a problem when it comes to finding space for everybody. Boaters and boating organisations have told us that they are put off visiting London because they don’t think they will be able to find anywhere to moor. They may have heard this from other boaters, in the media, online or have experienced it first-hand.”

The Trust is planning to trial pre-bookable short-stay mooring spots that will let boats reserve a place to moor and is asking boaters who want to visit London to carry out a short survey about any previous experiences of boating in the capital. Providing a service that will offer the chance to reserve a mooring berth could save boaters arriving in the capital from being disappointed. The Trust wants to find out what facilities boaters may want at such sites, and what they may expect to pay for them.

These pre-bookable moorings will be another mooring option in addition to towpath and visitor moorings.

The Trust is inviting boaters with an interest in pre-bookable moorings to complete the survey between Friday 30 June and Friday 26 August. The Trust will also be carrying out further engagement work including surveys of boaters and other stakeholders in London over the coming months to help inform the London mooring strategy.

Matthew continues: “London is a cultural, historical and national treasure and we want all boaters to be able to have the opportunity to cruise its fantastic canals and rivers, as well as using them as a base to explore the city. We’re looking at ways to make it possible for the limited space on its waterways to be shared fairly. Pre-bookable moorings are one option we’re considering as part of the wider mooring strategy for London. We want to see what the appetite would be for them, and what boaters would expect they would offer in terms of services. Please get in touch to let us know your views.”

The survey can be found online at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Londonbookablemooringsurvey

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

--------------------------------------------

Fran Read

National Press Officer

M 07796 610 427

Canal & River Trust, Toll House, Delamere Terrace, London, W2 6ND

Twitter: @CRTComms

I haven't commented on a CRT publication I have posted before but it is a bit different to this:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85657&page=1

Edited by Ray T

Ray thanx for posting the link - I've filled it out

But I feel the need to say - What a Load of Tosh!!

This comes across as just another way for CRT to get more money from us boaters and will be just the tip of the ice berg. It will become the "norm" to pay for tow path moorings close to all towns & cities, or places like Crofton, Braunston, SB, Birmingham etc etc.

We've been through London twice in the past year, never had any issue with finding a spot to moor our 57 foot Wide Beam, and no we didn't breast up with anyone. You read all the exaggerated crap on the internet about how over crowed it is, and when you arrive, yeah it's busy but no where near too the extent of what you've read about. You moor up, introduce yourself to your new neighbors and get on with enjoying your visit to the capital.

One of the largest cities in the world, with one of the best and most efficient public transport systems to match SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!!!!!!

Things like this really DO Wind me Upjudge.gif

This comes across as just another way for CRT to get more money from us boaters and will be just the tip of the ice berg. It will become the "norm" to pay for tow path moorings close to all towns & cities, or places like Crofton, Braunston, SB, Birmingham etc etc.

We've been through London twice in the past year, never had any issue with finding a spot to moor our 57 foot Wide Beam, and no we didn't breast up with anyone. You read all the exaggerated crap on the internet about how over crowed it is, and when you arrive, yeah it's busy but no where near too the extent of what you've read about. You moor up, introduce yourself to your new neighbors and get on with enjoying your visit to the capital.

One of the largest cities in the world, with one of the best and most efficient public transport systems to match SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!!!!!!

Well thats good to here as we are planning a visit in the not too distant future.

Next summer is the Caledonian and the summer after the Thames and London.

Well thats good to here as we are planning a visit in the not too distant future.

Next summer is the Caledonian and the summer after the Thames and London.

I came from Regents Park to Limehouse in one of my boats (a 40 footer) a couple of weeks ago and there was not a single alongside towpath mooring spot available on the Regents Canal between Camden and Hackney (Victoria park) its all full. I could have breasted up yes of course but some people don't want to do this for valid reasons. Anyone who doesn't understand this needs to think a bit.

This is fact not some horror story. No space at the Inn. Perhaps I was unlucky that day. I have been west to east and east to west about a dozen times over the last 5 years and it has got to a certain point now where something needs doing because some people may like to visit London by boat on the Regents canal and they will need somewhere to Moor other than lock waiting bollards.

Edit to clarificate

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 3

Got to agree with you Betty.

Where are they going put these? Booking or otherwise there is only a finate amount of room for visitors so it sounds just like an excuse to charge for a VM's which are currently free as part of our licence.

I'm really not sure why people expect to find space in London. If you want to visit the big city, moor out at Greenford or maybe Kensal at the most, and catch the Tube in. That's what the Tube is for.

You wouldn't drive in to London & expect to find a nice parking space, roadside in the West End would you?

. If I was heading for the Lee, I'd cruise in to Kensal, then make an early start to crack right across to Hackney & beyond. If by chance there was a lucky space en route, then maybe I'd stop for a while.

I'm really not sure why people expect to find space in London. If you want to visit the big city, moor out at Greenford or maybe Kensal at the most, and catch the Tube in. That's what the Tube is for.

You wouldn't drive in to London & expect to find a nice parking space, roadside in the West End would you?

. If I was heading for the Lee, I'd cruise in to Kensal, then make an early start to crack right across to Hackney & beyond. If by chance there was a lucky space en route, then maybe I'd stop for a while.

Well I find that between mooring sites likely to be available on either side of London is a hard slog for one day so an overnight mooring part way is useful. Why should visiting boaters be expected to cruise in "to Kensal, then make an early start to crack right across to Hackney & beyond".

I have mixed feelings about paying for mooring, especially as don't want crt thinking it's a good way to make money. However, current situation in london off putting. I know some say always find somewhere to moor but it's clearly not easy and I think I'd be pleased to know I was heading for a space.

who has used the current bookable spaces. slightly wonder whether might arrive and find a boat already in the place booked?

Well, I might book a parking space and pay for it online if I were driving in!

Have walked through from Regent's Park to Limehouse several times, and only once spotted a space big enough for my boat- discounting Paddington Basin, as I didn't go down there.

Hi Tony & FTS. To be fair, that would be my plan for crossing London, not visiting it. Basically, London is one of the biggest & busiest cities in the world, with only one canal route across it. It's always going to be busy, it's always going to be crowded. If I wanted to visit, I'd still get as far in as reasonable the night before & then get an early start for Little Venice or wherever. I wouldn't expect to turn up late afternoon & find a nice spot.

Bear in mind that the cruise in from Bull's bridge, although straightforward & lock free, is still a tiring slog. Once you're through the relatively leafy western end it's a bit heavy going with no decent moorings (underwater obstructions near the towpath, homeless rough sleepers, noise, dust, dirt etc) till Kensal really.

This is just my opinion, it's what I would do. You make up your own mind. Perhaps I should mention that I was born half a mile from Ballot Box, the bright lights hold no magic for me, I would rather stroll down Kilburn High Road than Oxford Street.

Have a Plan A, a Plan B & leave the option of a pleasantly surprising Plan C open. Pragmatic Flexibility.

I have no objection to bookable moorings for those who wish. Maybe CRT should make better use of Paddington Basin, maybe dig out some new basins for visitors.

Why do they have to be 'bookable/chargeable'? Just make a few areas of 24hr or 48hr visitor moorings. This would discourage the London 'residents' from using them as they would only get 1 or 2 days before needing to move again, and should mean space that visitors can use for genuine visits/overnight stops.

I have just completed the survey honestly and accurately. I ticked 'No' to "Would i be willing to pay for a bookable mooring?".

If they want to create some bookable moorings (which sould not be at the expense of existing Visitor Moorings) then great, but they should not be chargeable for fear of them rolling out similar ideas in other places.

If they really do need to make more money, just stick a tenner on everybody's licence fee and stop pissing about creating new schemes and tinkering with things.

I have mixed feelings about paying for mooring, especially as don't want crt thinking it's a good way to make money. However, current situation in london off putting. I know some say always find somewhere to moor but it's clearly not easy and I think I'd be pleased to know I was heading for a space.

who has used the current bookable spaces. slightly wonder whether might arrive and find a boat already in the place booked?

Some folks reactions are based, I suspect, on summer-only experience. If you want to moor in London in the Nov-Mar part of the year it is very different and bookable moorings, as at Rembrandt, would do a lot to lower blood pressure!

I have just completed the survey honestly and accurately. I ticked 'No' to "Would i be willing to pay for a bookable mooring?".

If they want to create some bookable moorings (which sould not be at the expense of existing Visitor Moorings) then great, but they should not be chargeable for fear of them rolling out similar ideas in other places.

If they really do need to make more money, just stick a tenner on everybody's licence fee and stop pissing about creating new schemes and tinkering with things.

Why add £10 onto our licence fee? Maybe CRT could just save on the salaries of those who tinker with stuff like this to justify their jobs.

• Greenie 1

Some folks reactions are based, I suspect, on summer-only experience. If you want to moor in London in the Nov-Mar part of the year it is very different and bookable moorings, as at Rembrandt, would do a lot to lower blood pressure!

That is if you can. My son was told last year booking was not allowed before a given date. Early that day he tried and they were already booked. I found that rather suspicious.

That is if you can. My son was told last year booking was not allowed before a given date. Early that day he tried and they were already booked. I found that rather suspicious.

Not necessarily. If several boaters have all been told the same, then there will be a rush as soon as bookings open, and some will be disappointed.

I'd love to be able to book a week in Paddington basin, and would be happy to pay for it, if I could afford it.

It's a long way to go on the off chance that there may be a mooring.

I'd prefer it to be included with the licence fee, but am realistic enough to know that in some places, demand may exceed supply.

My only objection to the system at Llangolen is that you are limited to 48hrs.

Would it not help the London situation if Paddington was available (bookable or not) to visitor short term (upto 7 days) mooring only.

Rog

Probably correct. I tried for last November but was disallowed as my email was dated just the evening before the opening date. They then said that all the bookings were taken by those that came in immediately after. For February, I submitted my email one minute after midnight on New Year's Day. At least that gave me a reason to stay up to see the new year in.

I'd love to be able to book a week in Paddington basin, and would be happy to pay for it, if I could afford it.

It's a long way to go on the off chance that there may be a mooring.

I'd prefer it to be included with the licence fee, but am realistic enough to know that in some places, demand may exceed supply.

My only objection to the system at Llangolen is that you are limited to 48hrs.

Would it not help the London situation if Paddington was available (bookable or not) to visitor short term (upto 7 days) mooring only.

Rog

Most of it, save for a couple of residential moorings and a trade mooring, it is for visitors (five days I think) It used to be the case that the security guards patrolled quite rigorously - they really do provide security and I have seen it in action.

In the winter, sometimes CaRT run a winter mooring scheme so it can full until that comes to an end.

Management of the basin is complicated by it being owned by the developer, as I understand it. Way back the basin was abandoned and navigation only came up to the bend before.

Why do they have to be 'bookable/chargeable'? Just make a few areas of 24hr or 48hr visitor moorings. This would discourage the London 'residents' from using them as they would only get 1 or 2 days before needing to move again, and should mean space that visitors can use for genuine visits/overnight stops.

Great idea for people passing through, but 24/48hrs is useless for visiting the capital.

7 days would be nearer the mark.

Rog

I think a mixture of short term visitor moorings, 24\48hr, which are monitored daily plus bookable moorings that could be reserved for maybe 5 nights at a nightly rate. I would be willing to pay for a mooring as long a it wasn't over priced to guarantee knowing where I would be mooring on arrival. No different to boating in to Bristol which is all chargeable.

Probably correct. I tried for last November but was disallowed as my email was dated just the evening before the opening date. They then said that all the bookings were taken by those that came in immediately after. For February, I submitted my email one minute after midnight on New Year's Day. At least that gave me a reason to stay up to see the new year in.

Most of it, save for a couple of residential moorings and a trade mooring, it is for visitors (five days I think) It used to be the case that the security guards patrolled quite rigorously - they really do provide security and I have seen it in action.

In the winter, sometimes CaRT run a winter mooring scheme so it can full until that comes to an end.

Management of the basin is complicated by it being owned by the developer, as I understand it. Way back the basin was abandoned and navigation only came up to the bend before.

We have visited, mooring in Paddington in 2011 and again in 2014, staying 7 nights and visiting in May on both occasions.

Each visit, we arrived at about noon, and were lucky enough to get the last available mooring.

We'll go again of course, but it would be good to know there is a mooring free. We'll try the Rembrandt Gardens route, but from comments here, that's an outside chance. I'd be happy for that scheme to be extended, charge or not.

Rog