International Rescue on the Langollen

Tigerr

Featured Posts

Posting this in case someone can help - might be in Langollen with the kit.

On Friday found a blue boat 'Drowsing Nymph' broken down between the narrows 1 mile from Langollen. Crew an elderly American couple unfamiliar with the cut who have the boat on swap for their Colorado condo.

Anyway - stopped to help - broken coolant drive belt. Pretty simple repair - no tools or spares on their boat. Tried to fit one of mine of correct size, but stumped by seemingly impossible to slack off other alternator belt in the way. (very odd belt installation to my limited experience). Anyway obvious solution a Fenner belt. They had RCR - but their USA phones not working in UK. So lent them our phone.

Called out RCR and explained - engineer sent. Should be end of story.

Got a call from RCR on Saturday. RCR engineer apparently couldn't fit belt (like me) on friday. RCR phone desk saying they were looking for a Fenner belt as 'engine would have to come out otherwise'- which is ridiculous. She made Fenner belt sound about as obtainable as Unicorn horns.

We left Langollen by car for London Sat PM - crew swap - and I am worried the American couple may still be stuck there if RCR have failed. Their cassette is full, and they are a bit distressed, they have no phone. Maybe someone in the basin has a Fenner belt and could help them out, or drop by and see if they are OK? Or maybe they got sorted out in which case wish them well!

Edited by Tigerr
  • Greenie 4

If RCR can't fix a broken fan belt then really what is the point? Imagine if the RAC or AA turned up at the roadside and couldn't change a broken fan belt on a car. I think most people would demand their membership fee back!

I'll stick to doing my own repairs, that way I've only got myself to blame.

Yes that is quite amazing. I would have assumed any engineer would carry them, or Fenners, as broken belts must be the number one callout, but according to RCR 'we are scouring the county for one'. I hope they found one, or a passing boater has one.

I think the engine is a "Shire" but the problem seemed to me to be that there wasn't any way to get past the outer flat alternator drive belt to install the coolant pump V belt. I had assumed there would be a slacken/tighten slot or jockey pulley like on my Beta, but the thing seemed to be a single point fix and under tension. Plus a wooden bulkhead installed right up against it, with metal pipework making access apparently impossible. I assume there is a secret to doing it - But nothing like the Beta/BMC setups I know where a belt change is about 10 mins. Maybe it is a simple taut lever-off belt?

The most extraordinary thing though is an 'engineer' who didn't know the secret, and didn't have a spare fan belt option in his bag, nor could find one in 24 hrs - possibly 48 - in the UK. Plus the nonsense I was told by their switchboard operator about him being there for 4 hours (as far as I know 30 mins but maybe he came back again) and claiming the engine would have to come out - sheer gibberish (but she might have misinterpreted). This fix ought to have been 10 mins with appropriate standard boat engineer know how, tools and parts.

I might be maligning RCR 'engineer' and maybe it got fixed on Saturday PM (still unacceptable in my view) but I was distinctly unimpressed by what seemed to be the calibre of the RCR callout 'engineer'. I was in two minds about posting but on reflection a bit of public review of performance seems fair. I haven't named the boatyard the engineer came from. Not Chirk though.

They can always reply and I am very happy to be corrected.

Edited by Tigerr

Well I have just heard from my replacement crew passing them that the American couple are still stranded. I really don't think RCR service has been anywhere near the brochure picture for them, and they must now be running out of battery/wine/water/cassette space. It can't help that they have no phone.

3 days so far to fix a fan belt on the most popular canal in the country - and still not fixed! Frankly that is shameful.

I understand the boat has the comprehensive level of RCR cover available. Which looks like not a lot right now...

I've had varied service from RCR for simple stuff like starter motor breakdown (even if the engineer didn't know how to wire it up) and when a fuel pipe broke the guy did a great bodge but still left me stranded because he didn't use the right washers. Their employed blokes don't seem to know anything about Listers, but they can call on ones who do if you insist.

Whilst RCR may be making a mess of this, is there not some responsibility on whoever had provided the boat? Is the boat from the timeshare outfit at Ellesmere? Do they not provide some support service or is it all outsourced to RCR?

My understanding is that this is a 'private deal' where the boat owner has 'swapped' time in the boat for a place in the USA.

The boat owner is probably un-contactable (unless he has a Tri-Band phone), just as the US folks phone does not work here.

Are the boat owners aware of the situation? If the stranded Yanks need a call placed to the boat owners in the US, I'd be happy to make a call for them if someone would pm the number to me.

ETA, I'm assuming there is either a land line in the Colorado condo or that the Americans have a friend that could go to their condo and either talk to the boat owners or leave a note on the door.

Edited by Paul G2

Whilst RCR may be making a mess of this, is there not some responsibility on whoever had provided the boat? Is the boat from the timeshare outfit at Ellesmere? Do they not provide some support service or is it all outsourced to RCR?

if you read the OP the boat is a "holiday swap" the owners are in colorado in the stranded peoples house.

I was there a couple of weeks ago but too far away to help now. I do know that there's Mark Edwards of M & L / Cheshire Cat boat hire at Hurleston Locks if a non-RCR emergency call out is required. He charges 40 quid plus vat for a call out, inc the first hour's labour and 25 quid plus vat for his time. Less than 50 quid to get a second opinion might be money well spent to get the poor sods under way again. I have no knowledge of his work other than chatting to a very satisfied hirer who had a breakdown he came out to last week. They said he was really nice, responded fast and fixed the problem (which turned out to be a fuse) quickly. 07970 384047 www.theyellowvan.co.uk

Edited to correct labour rate (to 25 per hour).

Edited by Sea Dog

The OP says it is a swap for the couple apartment in USA so is probably a private arrangement.

What i was hoping was that one of the boats in/en route to the Langollen moorings might be on the forum and could give them a hand. Mostly they are hire boats there who are unlikely to have tools etc but there are some obv. experienced private boaters in the area too. I think now they need a tow to the moorings where there is leccy, facilities, and a sanitary station - which will be becoming uppermost in their minds! I now regret not doing that but I thought they would get sorted on Friday night. I was wrong. Where they are is a gloomy spot, but nr the road for the RCR. Langollen is awful for road access to boats.

There is a trip boat goes by that could tow them, but I expect unlikely to want to.

Yes, but they have no phone, due to American phones not working in the wilds of wales. I imagine Trevor was first call for RCR - but being the weekend etc no engineers free... Chirk likewise, which might just have something to do with their being abandoned over the weekend.

Mostly I am concerned because they will now be without power - so no water, hot or cold and loo now overflowing bunged up etc. Given they are older these things might be an issue - and Langollen is at least a mile away which is more than they can do with a full cassette etc.

Plus i think they will have formed a rather poor impression of the UK as a third world country, which for some reason irks.