Marsworth Facilities

LEO

Featured Posts

Came past 10 days ago and there was one boat using the water point and another arriving, looking as if he was going to tie up in front of the new houses. The householders won't like that!

They probably won't - this development is a good example of poor planning, poor marketting by the selling agent, glossed over small print and assumptions, and general input from Architects downwards who have no idea of boaters and householders needs. Shame.

apprently a boater complained of a chorlide smell from the water tap and it was shut yesterday

Why would that make it necessary to also close the Elsan and rubbish facilities, though?

They probably won't - this development is a good example of poor planning, poor marketting by the selling agent, glossed over small print and assumptions, and general input from Architects downwards who have no idea of boaters and householders needs. Shame.

Quite agree with you but you missed out the lack of thought by CRT.

Wonder how long before the householders start complaint about smell from boats pumping out.

Rubbish wasnt shut yesterday

Just the water tap, pump out and elsen were taped off but i left at 7.30 this morning so i dont know if anything has changed

OK I'll amend the question.

Why shut the Elsan and the pump out because someone has complained about a smell in the water coming from the fresh water tap?

OK I'll amend the question.

Why shut the Elsan and the pump out because someone has complained about a smell in the water coming from the fresh water tap?

Why close the tap without actual evidence / confirmation ?

That's interesting - years ago during the foot and mouth outbreak I had trouble with a disinfectant or detergent type of smell in the water. I thought it was to do with the foot and mouth but maybe it was just the hose being in the sun !

Have they built houses by the top lock of the Aylesbury arm? I haven't been there for 6 years (3 days before my first daughter was born). Isn't that where they used to make concrete piling sections like those seen on some parts of the GU? Fencrete or something.

Typos

Edited by magnetman

Completely different version of events as posted by somebody on Facebook.

I'm only reposting that bit, not all the debate it has subsequently kicked off!

Hi Boaters. I have heard from Aiden at CaRT about the closure of the Marsworth facilities. The problem is that the lady in house number 1 has discoloured water, and says that it smells funny, she think it is a problem caused by our facilities. CaRT have sent a sample to be analysed, initial findings are negative, but it will be 4 days before the lab. report is back. A plumber is visiting tomorrow to check out all the pipework. CaRT are terrified of being sued if someone becomes ill, hence the closure. Providing all is well facilities should reopen on Monday or Tuesday

Have they built houses by the top lock of the Aylesbury arm? I haven't been there for 6 years (3 days before my first daughter was born). Isn't that where they used to make concrete piling sections like those seen on some parts of the GU? Fencrete or something.

Yes they have. Water point in the foreground, new houses beyond, with the warehouse, which has been converted to residential just visible on the left:

IMG_3903_thumb.jpg

From facebook:

Hi Boaters. I have heard from Aiden at CaRT about the closure of the Marsworth facilities. The problem is that the lady in house number 1 has discoloured water, and says that it smells funny,

CRT have been getting grief from the water undertakings about back-contamination risks, especially of rinse hoses on Elsan points. Some of these have been removed and some have been converted to a feed from header tank (to provide an air-break in the supply) or had a proprietary air-break device inserted between the tap and the hose. Given that, you can't blame them for being cautious in this case.

MP.

I have always thought there was mileage in pumping canal water for elsan rinseout - its not as if you need the thing to be spotlessly clean. Pyrford Lock on the river Wey has a prehistoric elsan point which uses a hand pumped canal water supply :)

Would remove any contamination risk from the mains water supply. I suppose people might use the normal fresh water supply which could be quite dangerous. Would be worth seperating the fresh water from the elsan by a good distance really.

There is also a fairly big argument for having water points in completely different locations to elsan emptying points !!

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

I have always thought there was mileage in pumping canal water for elsan rinseout - its not as if you need the thing to be spotlessly clean. Pyrford Lock on the river Wey has a prehistoric elsan point which uses a hand pumped canal water supply :)

Would remove any contamination risk from the mains water supply. I suppose people might use the normal fresh water supply which could be quite dangerous. Would be worth seperating the fresh water from the elsan by a good distance really.

There is also a fairly big argument for having water points in completely different locations to elsan emptying points !!

Seems like a good idea, but would be more stuff to go wrong. Hardly a week goes by without a stoppage notice from CRT about a blocked Elsan somewhere on the system.

Hi, i dont do facebook so havent seen that post

My info came from the email i sent to CRT as i filled up there on friday and they say it was boaters

As for the locking of the other parts, i am let to understand that there are water outputs in both of them sections, certainly one in the elsen, never been in the new pump out, and they didnt want anyone to use them

Kind regards

Still out of action today I am told. Why is it taking so long to reopen the facilities ?

coz ze lady in ze expensive uber modern kondo next door has an offensive niff of poo poo up er hooter and she complaineth to friends in high places ... would not be surprised to see them closed for good ..

thought this when I saw them buidling " Exclusive " canal side land dwellings next to a poo pump and elsan .. inevitable outcome wasnt it ??