Elsan Disposal Points

J R ALSOP

Featured Posts

What on earth is happening out there, I thought it was pump outs that were giving C&RTrust grief. I Have never in 60 years ever had cause to give the authorities any grief on emptying a loo. Is it sabotage to make us all have a pump out?.

I'm wondering whether it is the repeated e-mails we keep getting from CRT to advise that the Braunston elsan point has been blocked yet againsad.png . I have to say that I was wondering who is putting the stuff down to block it as, after emptying hundreds of cassettes, I have never managed to get even close to blocking one. I think that the last e-mail said beer cans and rags had been recovered from the blockage, it may seem a bit draconian but perhaps its time to put BW padlocks on them (the sort that keep your key in them until you re-lock them) so that if the blockages continue we can be halfway sure that it is boaters doing it rather than some random numpty putting rubbish in it.

Probably pass as least one elsan point every day when cruising, never have a problem.

Has something specific 'rattled your cage' to prompt a mini-rant ?

I know like me OP spends much of his time on the Southern GU, where far to many of the Elsan stations seem to be out of order on far too many occasions.

The two at Braunston plus the one at Buckby seem to be particularly regularly blocked, but I saw today that the Stoke Bruerne one was out of action.

These are popular locations, and I have had not long back to beg to use one in a private marina having encountered multiple CRT ones that were blocked.

"Unranty" enough for you?

I know like me OP spends much of his time on the Southern GU, where far to many of the Elsan stations seem to be out of order on far too many occasions.

The two at Braunston plus the one at Buckby seem to be particularly regularly blocked, but I saw today that the Stoke Bruerne one was out of action.

These are popular locations, and I have had not long back to beg to use one in a private marina having encountered multiple CRT ones that were blocked.

"Unranty" enough for you?

Thank you - a far more 'understandable' post.

How can anyone respond to the question "What on earth is happening out there", when :

1) You have no idea where 'out there; is, and

2) You have no idea 'what is happening'.

We have noticed more problems with disposal points over the last couple of years (mainly blockages.) I do wonder if this is due to improper use such as self pump outs etc.?

From memory the Braunston Elsan is not in a building. It's just behind a low wall at the side of the towpath. If it's beer cans and rags blocking it, it is likely to be a non-boater.

They would have to build a brick hut, or fit a lockable lid to protect it.

From memory the Braunston Elsan is not in a building. It's just behind a low wall at the side of the towpath. If it's beer cans and rags blocking it, it is likely to be a non-boater.

They would have to build a brick hut, or fit a lockable lid to protect it.

A lockable lid sounds sensible, but it would have to be the type of lock that holds your key captive until you have shut everything and relocked it. Probably quite a large modification to the tpes that have two flat swinging doors (see below).

Experience with water taps, and enclosed sanitary stations, as well as AV locks that rely on a non captive lock, indicate many boaters will just leave them unlocked.

Clearly a padlock on a chain that held the key captive will not work for the same reason as it didn't when used on anti-vandal locks on paddles. Many boaters will simply lock the lock and leave it dangling on its chain, without actually having it locking anything.

I'm wondering whether it is the repeated e-mails we keep getting from CRT to advise that the Braunston elsan point has been blocked yet again:( . I have to say that I was wondering who is putting the stuff down to block it as, after emptying hundreds of cassettes, I have never managed to get even close to blocking one. I think that the last e-mail said beer cans and rags had been recovered from the blockage, it may seem a bit draconian but perhaps its time to put BW padlocks on them (the sort that keep your key in them until you re-lock them) so that if the blockages continue we can be halfway sure that it is boaters doing it rather than some random numpty putting rubbish in it.

My experience, how gained is a long story.

I became responsible for basic plumbing of the water,drainage,sewage etc. Of a very large IBM Manufactoring site in Havant Hampshire. There was major issues with the toilets blocking. The onsite maintenance company used to charge for a 'call out' to clear the blockage. I was tasked with taking this on.

In my ignorance and inexperience, I would clear any blockage thoroughly to the larger bored drainage pipes, after approximately 3/4 months of 'me' doing the job properly, there were very few, if any at all, blockages reported.

So, after that short history of how I became involved in the Cleaning Industry, I saw/ suggest that who ever clears the blockages for CRT at Braunston or anywhere else for that matter, are just shoving the blockage a metre or so down the pipe, hence it blocks again in no time. If I have a criticism of CRT it that once again they are not monitoring their contractors.

I would bet a bottom dollar that this is the issue here.

Martyn.

Well,I used to think it was a blockage that would render the elsan useless, but then we discovered that it was simply full to overflowing. 10 years ago, the cess pit was emptied about every eight weeks, then that was increased to every month. Then they gave the lock cottages a seperate pit. Then we got to emptying every two weeks.

Then we lost the nearest set of services - don't know whether this is gossip or not but supposedly the developers ( of, yes you guessed it, yet more luxury waterside apartments), mistakenly demolished the services. Because of this, the elsan was full and unusable every week. The sewage backs up and overflows, it stinks. Because the toilets and showers still continue to be used it gets worse and worse. We've since got them to send a truck every week and we haven't had any problems since.

Although some prat (who should have known better) tipped used engine oil down it a couple of months ago. When that happens it's expensive.

Edited by Lady Muck

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

Is there an Elsan disposal between Stone and Fradley Junction? I can't face using the one at Great Heywood - unless it's improved recently.

You will have to make a contribution to Anglo Welsh if you want to use the Great Heywood elsan, as it’s on their premises. From memory there isn’t an elsan between Stone and GH. 

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There is one in Great Haywood Marina but I believe they charge non moorers to use it.

But?

Why should they NOT charge for using it? Maintaining an elsan is an expensive business, as evidenced in this thread. 

On 28/05/2016 at 09:09, catweasel said:

We have noticed more problems with disposal points over the last couple of years (mainly blockages.) I do wonder if this is due to improper use such as self pump outs etc.?

It doesn't seem an unreasonable question - these things have a finite capacity.  The one at Marple has a notice on the door saying "Suitable for Self Pump Out", so that would seem to suggest others without the notice aren't? Maybe there should be Yea or Nay notices on the all?  Mind you, I passed someone self pumping yesterday and the stench was overwhelming - he must really be desperately short of 18 quid to do that more than once! :sick:

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It doesn't seem an unreasonable question - these things have a finite capacity.  The one at Marple has a notice on the door saying "Suitable for Self Pump Out", so that would seem to suggest others without the notice aren't? Maybe there should be Yea or Nay notices on the all?  Mind you, I passed someone self pumping yesterday and the stench was overwhelming - he must really be desperately short of 18 quid to do that more than once! :sick:

Given one of the much vaunted benefits of a pump out tank on a boat is that you do not have to be reacquainted with your bodily produce I have never ever understood why somebody/anybody would use a SPO system.

At least with a cassette you can mask the smell to a degree due to the smaller amounts involved, but if you have a pump out tank just do it properly for gawds sake. If you cant afford it you cant afford to own a boat.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Given one of the much vaunted benefits of a pump out tank on a boat is that you do not have to be reacquainted with your bodily produce I have never ever understood why somebody/anybody would use a SPO system.

At least with a cassette you can mask the smell to a degree due to the smaller amounts involved, but if you have a pump out tank just do it properly for gawds sake. If you cant afford it you cant afford to own a boat.

And you've got to stow the foul pump and pipework - just....No!

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And you have 50 yards (?) of sewage filled / lined pipework that you need to flush thru' how & where do you do that ?    -     in the canal ?

All over the path by the Elsan, usually. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

All over the path by the Elsan, usually. 

I remember the series of photos posted by "Are we there yet" of an elsan point after a Self-Pup-Out had a blow back, it looked as bad as Blaster Bates story about the cesspit.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And you have 50 yards (?) of sewage filled / lined pipework that you need to flush thru' how & where do you do that ?    -     in the canal ?

I'm no defender of self pumpout, having made money over the years providing a pumpout service, but you simply dip the suction end in the cut.  The canal water cleans the gear AND provides a good flush to keep the sanitary station from blocking.

George 

• Greenie 2