Front and rear fenders with stainless chains

Joe the plumber

Featured Posts

Our rope rear fender will need replacing shortly. It's fitted with galvanised steel chain which is rusting nicely in places.

Is it possible to buy them fitted with stainless chain, or could I supply the chain and have them made using it?

Is there a good reason why stainless isn't used, apart perhaps from cost?

Thanks for any thoughts, as always.

Our rope rear fender will need replacing shortly. It's fitted with galvanised steel chain which is rusting nicely in places.

Is it possible to buy them fitted with stainless chain, or could I supply the chain and have them made using it?

Is there a good reason why stainless isn't used, apart perhaps from cost?

Thanks for any thoughts, as always.

My galvanised chains are holding up nicely although needed re-tentioning recently. The shackles are another matter though - have replaced a few.

No reason not to use stainless chain and shackles excepting the fact that the fenders galvanised chain is woven into their construction.

Fenders are consumable items, stainless chains are an unnecessary expense for something you are going to chuck away every few years...

This.

I guess it depends on the aim, I'm quite happy to have a bit of rust on an otherwise serviceable chain on my fenders. It's like having some black on the bottom of a kettle or dirt on the sole of a shoe.

The chain on our rear fender will pull out, and you can then get it back thought (don't ask how I know!) but I wouldn't consider that normal and certainly not likely on the front which has a pair of chains which cross in the middle.

Galv chain should last ten years or so and still look reasonable. Ours has, then as said, replace.

Daniel

Fenders are consumable items, stainless chains are an unnecessary expense for something you are going to chuck away every few years...

I've had mine for 10 years plus, they are soaked in creosote, which is the traditional method, modern ones are synthetic rope and there's no reason they wouldn't last a long long time.

I don't think "a few years" is quite accurate old bean.

I've had mine for 10 years plus, they are soaked in creosote, which is the traditional method, modern ones are synthetic rope and there's no reason they wouldn't last a long long time.

I wear the front ones out.

Sounds fair. There is different grades of stainless, but I expect anyone making it to chain will pick an appropriate one with a breaking strain on a par with what is typically faeoly low grade galvanised chain.

Daniel

My galvanised chains are holding up nicely although needed re-tentioning recently. The shackles are another matter though - have replaced a few.

No reason not to use stainless chain and shackles excepting the fact that the fenders galvanised chain is woven into their construction.

I have used these shackles for over two years now and am very happy with them, don't rust or wear the paint.

0_0_0_0_250_188_csupload_38813374.jpg?u=

http://www.tradline.co/ROPE-SHACKLES.html

I wear the front ones out.

I have a bit of an old go kart tyre tied onto mine. The actual fender is hempex on a rubber core (more tyres!), so should last a while. Just galvanised chain, though!

Agreed, if you never go anywhere they're gonna last an awfully long time. :)

Consider using strong plastic tie-wraps. If the button does get caught up on a lock door it will rise until the wrap tension gets too much and then snaps. Result, your boat doesn't get flooded and sink.

Just make sure they can ride up if they get caught in a gate.

Good call. I'm amazed how many you still see with chain downstays. There was an accident report linked on here while back involving a hang up on the bottom gate caused by a chained down bow button: maybe someone remembers where?

Agreed, if you never go anywhere they're gonna last an awfully long time. smile.png

Oh come on I only changed my rear fender coz someone bought me a nice new one.

The old one is still doing service on Mort's boat.

My front fender is still the original one, nearly ten years and you know I move a lot.