Thrupp - any good?

Loafer

Featured Posts

Evenin' all.

I have noticed on several threads that Thrupp is often mentioned, mostly as being a very difficult place to find a mooring, with hanging, drawing and quartering for those who overstay.

I've passed through there myself, and found it thus.

Can anyone tell me why this is? Why is Thrupp so popular? Can't be just the 2 good pubs can it?

There are a lot of Official long term moorings at Thrupp though these are administered by the boat club rather than directly by CaRT.

I find the large number of signs saying £25 if you overstay by even a microsecond in a big black intimating font rather ....intimidating? so I don't usually stop there. Foxton gives a similar bad feeling but the pub at Foxton is much better than either of those at Thrupp.

Had a rope stolen at Thrupp too. Maybe they wanted to sell it to raise enough money to afford a pint of beer?

Good dog walking over by the Cherwell though.

..............Dave

Edited by dmr

Good one - but how does that explain the huge number of long-term moorers?

I think that is to do with the Thrupp Canal Cruising Club. It is very active providing some facilities for the moorers. It also manages the moorings in the area and fishing rights.

I got told last year that I could only moor for 48hrs. The person who told me this was most put out when I pointed out it was nothing to do with him how long I parked my car for and continued to go and visit friends on their boat.

If going north carry on just 4 hours and stop at lower Heyford the natives are much friendlier and the Canal side caff is great. If going south carry on till Oxford.

TCCC are known as the Thrupp Mafia for good reason biggrin.png

Tim

I agree with all the above. We moored there last summer and before we had even settled her a bloke came up and reminded us of the time restrictions on mooring. They must take it shifts to watch boats arrive and chin the crew. However, on the return journey we moored there again and were not approached by anyone.

I agree with all the above. We moored there last summer and before we had even settled her a bloke came up and reminded us of the time restrictions on mooring. They must take it shifts to watch boats arrive and chin the crew. However, on the return journey we moored there again and were not approached by anyone.

But there was a space, wasn't there.

We have stopped there a few times over the years and never been approached by anyone. I expect they just look out for scruffy boats that might lower the tone...

Naah they dont mind that. I had a mooring there for three years and I only had a Hudson at the time, nowt special.

Tim

• Greenie 1

We spent 14 days there towards the end of last summer. No one approached us but we did see the mooring ranger on his bicycle log us every evening.

We found it a great place to moor up with all the facilities and good parking. We used is as a base to go into Oxford and the surround.

We spent 14 days there towards the end of last summer. No one approached us but we did see the mooring ranger on his bicycle log us every evening.

We found it a great place to moor up with all the facilities and good parking. We used is as a base to go into Oxford and the surround.

Just a little further at Lower Heyford there is much more mooring much of it 14 days. All facilities and a train direct to the centre of Oxford in 15 minutes also much better parking if you have a car along doing the shuffle.

Tim

I think that is to do with the Thrupp Canal Cruising Club. It is very active providing some facilities for the moorers. It also manages the moorings in the area and fishing rights.

Not a Very good Cruising Club `then ! ` More of a Mooring Club !!! icecream.gificecream.gificecream.gif

We stopped in Thrupp last winter twice, just for one night, going to Oxford and coming back. Not approached by anyone, and found local boaters to be helpful and polite. Many thanks for the boat who sold us 2 sacks of coal! It's not easy to find coal and logs/kindling so a tiny shop in Thrupp for boaters would be a nice touch.

I'm afraid we found both pubs a bit disappointing. Sorry.

I've mentioned this 'un before - if you find yourself in Rugby, go to The Squirrel.

Just a little further at Lower Heyford there is much more mooring much of it 14 days. All facilities and a train direct to the centre of Oxford in 15 minutes also much better parking if you have a car along doing the shuffle.

Tim

Trains and the station are very very close. We left our car there for a while whilst mooching about.

Also stayed in Thrupp for a week or so. Found it quite nice. Talked with the 'locals', some with a pinch of salt. Some helpful,some a bit snobby.

Had a few day's in Thrupp late on last summer and used it as a base to visit Oxford. For the first time ever, we managed to get one of the prime moorings.

Slightly off topic. On our visit me chatted to fellow boaters who had been resident, due to illness, for a considerable time, with CRTs blessing. The lady spent a good part of the day back and forth to the water point carrying a couple of smallish containers. Said it was her fitness regime and declined any assistance.