whats the problem with ccers

kevinshaw

Featured Posts

Provided they move to a new place every fourteen days then nothing is wrong.

If however, unless there are exceptional circumstances, they do not move to a new place after fourteen days or stay moored in one place for more than fourteen days then they contravene thw 1995 act of parliament

genuine question and it dosent effect me as i live in a marina .

but what is the problem with ccers staying in the same mooring or not moving very often

if there paying for a licence and not hurting anybody i personaly cant see a problem

I can't see any problem either, but some people that pay for moorings get all upset when they see others mooring for free.

genuine question and it dosent effect me as i live in a marina .

but what is the problem with ccers staying in the same mooring or not moving very often

if there paying for a licence and not hurting anybody i personaly cant see a problem

There is no problem, but on a purely selfish point of view, if ever the day arrives that you can moor for weeks/months on end at the same spot without harrassment from CRT, I will give up my expensive offside mooring and tie up on the perfectly safe towpath opposite.

I am sure there are thousands of others in marinas and offside who would do the same, resulting in a huge loss of revenue to CRT and an approximate average of 15 additional towpath moored boats for every mile of canal and river.

What price "slow past moored boats" then?

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

There is no problem, but on a purely selfish point of view, if ever the day arrives that you can moor for weeks/months on end at the same spot without harrassment from CRT, I will give up my expensive offside mooring and tie up on the perfectly safe towpath opposite.

I am sure there are thousands of others in marinas and offside who would do the same, resulting in a huge loss of revenue to CRT and an approximate average of 15 additional towpath moored boats for every mile of canal and river.

What price "slow past moored boats" then?

George ex nb Alton retired

So would I. Why pay to moor when you can shuffle about or not move at all for free?

CRT are well aware of what will happen if they allow constant mooring.

Ultimately this would give C&RT justification to argue a big increase in the basic licence fee which would hit the CCers the hardest - the moorers would offset the licence increase with the moorings cost saved.

• Greenie 4

So would I. Why pay to moor when you can shuffle about or not move at all for free?

CRT are well aware of what will happen if they allow constant mooring.

Ultimately this would give C&RT justification to argue a big increase in the basic licence fee which would hit the CCers the hardest - the moorers would offset the licence increase with the moorings cost saved.

virtual greenie, just down from me now we have 2 constant moorers both overjoyed that the lock is closed due to flooding. when i suggested they could go the other way as its all safe navigation for miles and miles, they were horrified both just want something for nothing at other peoples expense. i just said wont save you from the patrolman me i have to go through that gate to get back to my moorings which i have paid for.

top and bottom then its just a money thing

bit like ever thing else in life

No, it's about sharing space. If a CCer just plonked their boat down in their favourite place in perpetuity, they have effectively annexed that bit of towpath and no-one else would be able to use it. By having to move it frees up that space for someone else to have a share of.

• Greenie 2

Imagine if there were no regulations in regards to "continuous cruising". You would end up with every other Tom, Dick & Harry buying a boat for the sole purpose to liveaboard in what can sometimes be considered low cost way to live. The canals would be immensely overpopulated, congested even. People would lose the freedom of actually being able to move. Imagine gridlocked. That's what it could be like if there was nothing to prevent it.

This obviously cannot happen so therefore, there are rules in place in attempt to keep the canals open. However, how those rules are enforced is entirely another argument and not one that I know enough about.

Arm

Edited by Armitage Shanks

No, it's about sharing space. If a CCer just plonked their boat down in their favourite place in perpetuity, they have effectively annexed that bit of towpath and no-one else would be able to use it. By having to move it frees up that space for someone else to have a share of.

I agree. This is what has happened in London and it's outskirts and what prompted me to leave my marina berth after 15 years and exchange a 6 mile drive to my boat for a 72 mile one

I disagree. CRT don't have a problem with continuous cruisers, they have a problem with folk on the canals whose aim is to move as little as they can get away with (those folk not being, in my opinion "continuous cruiser" in any reasonable sense of the phrase!)

Well said!

Cheers

Gareth

To me, it doesn't seem unreasonable for CRT to expect a boat to have a mooring, if it does not travel around the network. It's not dissimilar to the situation with my truck, I'm not allowed to keep it outside my house but have to nominate a parking place for it at an operating centre, largely in the interests of fellow residents. I am supposed to park in at the operating centre every night, although allowances are made due to the nature of the use to which it is put.

As pointed out earlier, many people would leave marina and offside moorings if indefinite free mooring was allowable along the towpath.

I disagree. CRT don't have a problem with continuous cruisers, they have a problem with folk on the canals whose aim is to move as little as they can get away with (those folk not being, in my opinion "continuous cruiser" in any reasonable sense of the phrase!)

No. CRT do have a problem with ccers, and would prefer the option of not having any. They would much prefer a seasonal usage of boats, that preferably all have marina moorings.

• Greenie 1

No. CRT do have a problem with ccers, and would prefer the option of not having any. They would much prefer a seasonal usage of boats, that preferably all have marina moorings.

And your evidence for that view is (even assuming that CRT operates with one mind) ...?

Madam, I refer you to the original post.

This thread is specifically about CC'ers who do not wish to move much, or at all.

They are commonly called CM'ers.

I think you need to re read it. Its a marina dweller asking a question. I don't see a ccer in his post stating he does not wish to move.

I can think of one way to stop them thinking that - have boats pay for a licence that are actually on the Trust's waterway, which of course they aren't, in a marina.

• Greenie 1

Have to say it doesn't bother me much at all. If there is several thousand boats on the system it doesn't much matter if they all circulate in some crazy game of musical chairs or not. There are too many boats anyway (I think) If some are 'getting away with it' then that's between them and CRT, the only thing I really don't like is piles of junk on the towpath guarded by some great slavering killer dog.