CRT Council Results are in...

David Mack

Featured Posts

What people need to grasp, is that IWA, AWCC and CRT would like a bigger range implemented.

This will happen if people continue to take the pee on what I consider at the moment is a very generous guidance.

I am fed up with those few who bring about changes that in effect penalise the innocent, due to selfish stupidity and ignorance.

I can't wait for the press release -

We are sorry that the guidance we gave in February 2015 is incorrect. Somehow a zero was left off. Please note the range of travel over the licence period needed to satisfy us is 150 - 200 miles not 15- 20 miles as stated.

At the request of IWA/AWCC we will be increasing this to 500 miles as from April 1 2016.

Please note that the law has not changed. All that has changed is our interpretation of what you need to do to satisfy IWA and AWCC rather than ourselves.

What people need to grasp, is that IWA, AWCC and CRT would like a bigger range implemented.

This will happen if people continue to take the pee on what I consider at the moment is a very generous guidance.

I am fed up with those few who bring about changes that in effect penalise the innocent, due to selfish stupidity and ignorance.

Well said, have a greenie.

What those who continually take the piss don't seem to realise, is that rather than being the heroes they think they are, they are providing the ammunition needed to tighten the rules, to the detriment of all.

We are sorry that the guidance we gave in February 2015 is incorrect. Somehow a zero was left off. Please note the range of travel over the licence period needed to satisfy us is 150 - 200 miles not 15- 20 miles as stated.

At the request of IWA/AWCC we will be increasing this to 500 miles as from April 1 2016.

Please note that the law has not changed. All that has changed is our interpretation of what you need to do to satisfy IWA and AWCC rather than ourselves.

be careful what you wish for.

I've often cruised something like 4 hours a day for a month and Google has popped up on my mobile to tell me I'm something to the effect of '25 miles and 47 minutes' from home! Cruising 120 miles a year could be a real adventure if by that you mean you're now 120 miles from where you set off. It strikes me that 2 miles in a fortnight, particularly if the next fortnight is back again, is in a different league altogether.

As i understand it she travels on the Macclesfield canal and upper peak forest and presumably has a job to travel to so i guess she's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

As i understand it she travels on the Macclesfield canal and upper peak forest and presumably has a job to travel to so i guess she's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That's the bit I don't get...how can you CC on two canals? If you have a job that requires you to be in one place then unless you fancy a long commute surely you need a mooring?

I would be interested to hear what Stella has to say on this matter if she wishes to have the interest of all boaters.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not anti CC by any means.....however when you see the same boats moored on the same bit of towpath after being away from your mooring for six months you realise that as usual these people will spoil it for the majority.

Those of us with home moorings are finding when travelling there are more and more places with restrictions which I can't help but feel are being brought on by those who take the tiddle.

Cheers

Gareth

Just an observation GoodGurl, as an illustration of how the same figure can have completely different interpretations and outcomes. The first example's 120 miles is an adventure requiring extensive cruising, the other doesn't really require an engine to achieve with ease and is, in fact, a rather pointless exercise with no purpose other than to satisfy an arbitrary minimum requirement. No wonder there is confusion and conflict.

Neither hypothetical example was an interpretation of the details Stella was kind enough to supply. :)

She being the cat's mother.

Last year, we had no engine for about 12 weeks in total (6 weeks no engine, 6 weeks partially working) and so ended up on Summit Pound most of it. I, like most working age cc, am bound by a job near Stockport. We (my employer) are exploring my working from home so we can be below the Harecastle, but we manage to do the Rochdale, Huddersfield and Trent & Mersey for extended periods this year.

We mostly slowly cruise the Cheshire Ring with odd spurts off as I buy extra holidays annually. Now if those who think that this isn't enough want to donate to allow us to cruise as we would like to; I will give up my job tomorrow and go and explore.

I will temper this by saying, that we tend to stay on the Summit Pound in winter because there is a certain Coalboat, that you can set your watch by; that does a fortnightly coal run and in the absence of many water points/being iced in/lack of Elsan Points and stoppages; it is easier up here between December and March

(edited for those who have nothing better to do than come out from under the bridge)

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Last year, we had no engine for about 12 weeks and so ended up on Summit Pound most of it. I, like most working age cc, am bound by a job near Stockport. We (my employer) are exploring my working from home so we can be below the Harecastle, but we manage to do the Rochdale, Huddersfield and Trent & Mersey for extended periods this year.

We mostly slowly cruise the Cheshire Ring with odd spurts off as I buy extra holidays annually. Now if those who think that this isn't enough want to donate to allow us to cruise as we would like to; I will give up my job tomorrow and go and explore.

I will temper this by saying, that we tend to stay on the Summit Pound in winter because there is a certain Coalboat, that you can set your watch by; that does a fortnightly coal run and in the absence of many water points/being iced in/lack of Elsan Points and stoppages; it is easier up here between December and March

You may want to edit one of your posts. Your engine was broke for 6 weeks in an earlier one .

That's the bit I don't get...how can you CC on two canals? If you have a job that requires you to be in one place then unless you fancy a long commute surely you need a mooring?

I would be interested to hear what Stella has to say on this matter if she wishes to have the interest of all boaters.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not anti CC by any means.....however when you see the same boats moored on the same bit of towpath after being away from your mooring for six months you realise that as usual these people will spoil it for the majority.

Those of us with home moorings are finding when travelling there are more and more places with restrictions which I can't help but feel are being brought on by those who take the tiddle.

Cheers

Gareth

There are hundreds, if not several thousand, who are declared cc'ers in London who do far less than this 120 mile range

There are hundreds, if not several thousand, who are declared cc'ers in London who do far less than this 120 mile range

I suspect you are quite correct. It doesn't mean it's right or indeed help the cause of people that actually travel as was intended......

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

I suspect you are quite correct. It doesn't mean it's right or indeed help the cause of people that actually travel as was intended......

Cheers

Gareth

...but you said you only did 700 miles....I did over 1000 miles, maybe I'm a more of a proper CC'er than you! It's a pointless argument.

CC'ers are being manipulated by P takers. CM'ers and those who dream of day where the 1995 act is reversed and we all have to pay for a home mooring (even if we never intend to use one).

...but you said you only did 700 miles....I did over 1000 miles, maybe I'm a more of a proper CC'er than you! It's a pointless argument.

CC'ers are being manipulated by P takers. CM'ers and those who dream of day where the 1995 act is reversed and we all have to pay for a home mooring (even if we never intend to use one).

You may well be....I have a home mooring cos when I'm not traveling I need to be near my business premises.

My point was more that I find it hard to take seriously someone who travels 120 miles in a year but claims to stand and support other CC'ers......it may have been more honest for Stella to admit she didn't really travel that far at all......

Cheers

Gareth

You may well be....I have a home mooring cos when I'm not traveling I need to be near my business premises.

My point was more that I find it hard to take seriously someone who travels 120 miles in a year but claims to stand and support other CC'ers......it may have been more honest for Stella to admit she didn't really travel that far at all......

Cheers

Gareth

It is pretty simple really. If you are in a position where you would never use a fixed mooring if you had one, and you are prepared to abide with the 1995 act, then declaring yourself as a CC'er is fair. Whether we extend that to CRT's made up rules and CC'ing guidelines is another matter.

What does it matter if you are happy cruising the same favourite areas over and over again, or happier cruising the entire network?

I used to have a home mooring like you but I found it restricting because I felt that as I was paying for it, I should use it. As a result I restricted how far I travelled.

Why frown upon those who chose not to travel so much? They aren't wearing out the infrastructure or creating queues at locks so much.

London and other built up areas have their own problem associated with housing issues. That shouldn't spill over into the the entire waterway network. Local issues need local solutions.

Cheers

Gareth

I travel between jobs, I also travel during jobs, I also travel during holidays, should i declare home mooring status every time I get a 6 week boat paint /????

When all this started, it seemed that CCers were accusing home moorers of picking on them. It now seems from some of this thread that it's now some Ccers falling out with other CCers, which at last lets us HMers off the hook a bit. Personally, i would have thought that if you move from one town to another on a reasonably often basis without going back to your starting point every month, then you're on a continuous cruise - I'm not sure that distance should be any great criteria. If you stay in the same town, just shuffling about a bit, then maybe there is a problem, and that depends on the size of the town. But if you go from Manchester to Marple, to Macclesfield, Congleton, Stoke and back over the course of a year it should be acceptable - you wouldn't think someone who moved from one house to another in each of those towns would have stayed in the same place all year, so why should you a boater?

I am lucky enough not to need to work, so I can properly CC if required. However, whilst we certainly CC 'properly' during the 'season' (700 miles or so) we don't do so much during the winter. We are 'continuous dodgers' in the winter, hopping around within a 20-odd mile stretch of the Shroppie trying to stay off the radar. That's because we have friends around the area, and also because we like it round here.

We think that our 2-weekly A-B-C-A cycle in winter is more CC-ing than most CCers do all year.

It sounds to me like Stella falls into the latter category, (my winter one) and is still not CCing as CRT would like it.

Bovvered? Not really.

My pattern seems to be to move 2 to 5 miles every weekend, bridge hopping. I've crept from my mooring at Cropredy since the summer and am now about 100 miles away. CRT have yet to write to me telling me I am not complying with the CC rules.

Countinuous Creeper, moi!

My pattern seems to be to move 2 to 5 miles every weekend, bridge hopping. I've crept from my mooring at Cropredy since the summer and am now about 100 miles away. CRT have yet to write to me telling me I am not complying with the CC rules.

Countinuous Creeper, moi!

Like it. Continuous Creepers, Continuous Dodgers (Winter only), Continuous Moorers, and finally Continuous Cruisers.

What else is there?

Like it. Continuous Creepers, Continuous Dodgers (Winter only), Continuous Moorers, and finally Continuous Cruisers.

What else is there?

"Contentious Cruisers"

contentious
kənˈtɛnʃəs/
adjective
adjective: contentious
causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial.
"a contentious issue"
synonyms:
rarecontrovertible
"the contentious issue of abortion"
  • Greenie 1