CRT Council Results are in...

David Mack

Featured Posts

Would you be kind enough to add to that? How do you go about promoting your particular interests etc at any of the meetings.

Robert - I sit on a lot of senior committees in my day job and in my experience getting a ticket to the table is only the start. Its what you do with the seat that really matters. Each seat has an opportunity to influence the debate and therefore influence outcomes. This particular committee is mostly about governance, holding the Trustees to account and holding an ultimate power of veto if things are going seriously wrong.

That said, the seat also gives you access to the day to day decision makers its in this consultative role one can actually have the greatest influence. I am passionate about the Inaland Waterways as a whole and about the business dimension in particular, so my particular interest is to ensure that the needs of the commercial boating business community are considered fully against a backdrop of the needs of other user groups.

Robert - I sit on a lot of senior committees in my day job and in my experience getting a ticket to the table is only the start. Its what you do with the seat that really matters. Each seat has an opportunity to influence the debate and therefore influence outcomes. This particular committee is mostly about governance, holding the Trustees to account and holding an ultimate power of veto if things are going seriously wrong.

That said, the seat also gives you access to the day to day decision makers its in this consultative role one can actually have the greatest influence. I am passionate about the Inaland Waterways as a whole and about the business dimension in particular, so my particular interest is to ensure that the needs of the commercial boating business community are considered fully against a backdrop of the needs of other user groups.

Thank you.

So it's not just down to 2 meetings a year? You do actually have other means of getting your influence across?

Thank you.

So it's not just down to 2 meetings a year? You do actually have other means of getting your influence across?

Thats the way it works in the commercial world - with the benefit of established relationships as much influence is usually achieved outside formal meetings as inside. I have a good depth of relevant experience, a decent brain, am pretty eloquent and have every intention of using all three to shift the debate where possible.

Thats the way it works in the commercial world - with the benefit of established relationships as much influence is usually achieved outside formal meetings as inside. I have a good depth of relevant experience, a decent brain, am pretty eloquent and have every intention of using all three to shift the debate where possible.

Cheers. Much appreciated.

I agree - it's the opportunities between formal meetings that will be important. I do know that an awful lot of people did not get the voting email and letters arrived yesterday.

Whatever, others may think; I will represent all private boaters and hope that this forum and other social media will provide me with a platform to gather opinion and disseminate information

I agree - it's the opportunities between formal meetings that will be important. I do know that an awful lot of people did not get the voting email and letters arrived yesterday.

Whatever, others may think; I will represent all private boaters and hope that this forum and other social media will provide me with a platform to gather opinion and disseminate information

Could you tell me what your personal interpretation of a continuous cruiser is please?

Also, you state you are yourself a continuous cruiser. What do you consider to be a continuous cruise for Gracie?

Thanks for the kind words everyone...a distant 6th but a interesting period never the less. What is really disappointing is that out of the 4 elected only 1 seemed to do any electioneering, Stella, whilst the others sat back and relied on their 150 words. I met loads of people whilst out there spreading the word about what a great chap I am (that's obviously where I went wrong - oh and backing Bandsman Jim, nearly slipped my mind that) but that's what canals are all about and one of the key attractions to me.

As for what a cc is - I thought CRT have that nailed down to someone without a permanent home mooring, what it means in reality is a different issue - which is often THE issue as it comes down to different parts of the country and/or different interpretations.

btw the results were posted on this site at just after 3pm, I and the other candidates recieved a email with the results at 4.10 asking us not to tell anyone till the official press release at 4.30, I responded saying that I already knew as I'd read it a hour earlier, the repose was thus:-

"We are really sorry and very frustrated that that the announcement was pre-empted in this way. The leak appears to have been from the ERS site and we will investigate fully how this has happened."

I joking said that I hope the whole election process would be investigated and a full report be published when completed. Or was I joking? You couldn't make this up, or could you?

Only 25% of employees voted - no excuse about getting emails wrong there just disinterested I guess.

Anyway 3 posts from me in as many minutes....I'm going back to my Chimay and continue to admire my newly painted stove..both look very good.

Could you tell me what your personal interpretation of a continuous cruiser is please?

Also, you state you are yourself a continuous cruiser. What do you consider to be a continuous cruise for Gracie?

A bit harsh that. You should direct your first question to CRT. The second one is a private matter.

I know Stella, maybe you don't. If you did you'd realise that she has the best interests of boaters at heart.

A bit harsh that. You should direct your first question to CRT. The second one is a private matter.

I know Stella, maybe you don't. If you did you'd realise that she has the best interests of boaters at heart.

What's harsh about it? Two simple questions that as a continuous cruiser interest me, given she has opted to stand with that banner.

What's harsh about it? Two simple questions that as a continuous cruiser interest me, given she has opted to stand with that banner.

If you're having a particular problem, I'm sure Stella would do her best to help you, if she could. I'm pretty certain that these roles don't involve the clarification of vague guidelines.

btw the results were posted on this site at just after 3pm, I and the other candidates recieved a email with the results at 4.10 asking us not to tell anyone till the official press release at 4.30, I responded saying that I already knew as I'd read it a hour earlier, the repose was thus:-

"We are really sorry and very frustrated that that the announcement was pre-empted in this way. The leak appears to have been from the ERS site and we will investigate fully how this has happened."

Sorry to have stolen your thunder!

I looked on the same webpage as I used for voting (CRT branded page on the ERs website) at around lunchtime, and it said the voting was closed but the results would be available before 5.00. I looked again mid afternoon and there they were, so I copied the info here.

Thank you - that reminds me of an Election I ran many years ago using this process, which involved lots of paper voting slips and paper clips to keep them in bundles. The tricky bit to understand (and where there is some variation between different rules) is when the reduced quota is calculated.

Good luck to all those elected!

I looked on the same webpage as I used for voting (CRT branded page on the ERs website) at around lunchtime, and it said the voting was closed but the results would be available before 5.00. I looked again mid afternoon and there they were, so I copied the info here.

I only found out at 4:15on when the email came on as I was in meetings until then.

I was unaware that ERS had updated their page, but if so - a major miscommunication in the brief given to ERS

I look forward to the narrowboatworld latest news Flash exclusive in January announcing the results.

On becoming the volunteer representative on the council of The Canal and River Trust.

Firstly to those few of the electorate that voted for me thanks. To those few of you that voted for Terry Johnson and Graham Newman thanks as well, just for taking part, taking part is important. And to Terry and Graham thanks for standing. I am actually quite embarrassed to have won with such a low turnout, but such is democracy, and the current system. Having been elected, I am still not sure what I can actually do, other than hold the 'nuclear' button over the trustees. Maybe, I can help to improve trustees accountability, to you the electorate, and to include those of you who are currently disenfranchised. Also I would hope to be able to encourage more of you, the electorate, to think that it is worth while voting next time.
I will continue to be available to listen to your wishes and views. I am active on Facebook and the CDWF and you can send me public or private correspondence. I suspect that I may also get a C&RT email address in the fullness of time, I will wait and see.

Off now to raise funds for WRG(NW) at the last paperchase of the year.

To those that stood in the other constituencies well done too, and I look forwards to working with those that have been elected in those constituencies.
--
Cheers Ian Mac - Ian McCarthy

I think that Jenlyn has a problem with women in general,it's a shame that he appears so bitter and twisted as I am sure it does his general wellbeing no good at all. We satisfy the trustees that we are moving on a bone fide Journey for navigation purposes and we move every two weeks or less

I beg your pardon??? A problem with women? clapping.gif You need to come up with a better reply than that. Lol

The problem I have, is with those people pretending to be something they are not.

I especially have an issue with folk who move very little and take the p!ss, yet claim to be ccers.

This not only spoils the canals for others, but tarnishes ccers with problems we don't need.

Hopefully, Crt will eventually act on the genuine p!ss takers wink.png

On becoming the volunteer representative on the council of The Canal and River Trust.

Firstly to those few of the electorate that voted for me thanks. To those few of you that voted for Terry Johnson and Graham Newman thanks as well, just for taking part, taking part is important. And to Terry and Graham thanks for standing. I am actually quite embarrassed to have won with such a low turnout, but such is democracy, and the current system. Having been elected, I am still not sure what I can actually do, other than hold the 'nuclear' button over the trustees. Maybe, I can help to improve trustees accountability, to you the electorate, and to include those of you who are currently disenfranchised. Also I would hope to be able to encourage more of you, the electorate, to think that it is worth while voting next time.

I will continue to be available to listen to your wishes and views. I am active on Facebook and the CDWF and you can send me public or private correspondence. I suspect that I may also get a C&RT email address in the fullness of time, I will wait and see.

Off now to raise funds for WRG(NW) at the last paperchase of the year.

To those that stood in the other constituencies well done too, and I look forwards to working with those that have been elected in those constituencies.

--

Cheers Ian Mac - Ian McCarthy

Well done Ian. Raising funds for the waterways and getting people involved in doing something positive is what is most important. It's time to get the keyboard warriors doing something useful with their lives.

I was wondering what sort of things can be influenced by the CRT council? That is inside and outside of meetings. Are there really that many things to decide?

The law is pretty simple and stuff needs to be fixed when it goes wrong. Or is this all about fixing things which aren't broken and justifying people's roles?

We also need more stuff given the changing face of the canals, more elsan, pump out, water, rubbish, etc. CRT in London are looking at the possibility of bringing the dry dock at Bulls Bridge back into operation (built into the Tescos site) as there are a lack of places (long waiting lists) to get your boat out of the water, especially for surveys. Plus looking at the possibility of 'affordable' moorings which will be a whole new ball game for CRT.

BTW even I, with a perm mooring, has to move every 14 days...not sure how far but once out on the canal the same rules apply to me as to a cc'er.

Right, off to buy a fuel filter and see if I can remember how to bleed the BMC...at least the sun is shining and it's warm...crazy weather down in London.

We also need more stuff given the changing face of the canals, more elsan, pump out, water, rubbish, etc. CRT in London are looking at the possibility of bringing the dry dock at Bulls Bridge back into operation (built into the Tescos site) as there are a lack of places (long waiting lists) to get your boat out of the water, especially for surveys. Plus looking at the possibility of 'affordable' moorings which will be a whole new ball game for CRT.

BTW even I, with a perm mooring, has to move every 14 days...not sure how far but once out on the canal the same rules apply to me as to a cc'er.

Right, off to buy a fuel filter and see if I can remember how to bleed the BMC...at least the sun is shining and it's warm...crazy weather down in London.

We've had leisure boating and liveaboards for many years. I'm not sure what the changing face is really. Maybe more noise is being made about our personal circumstances now due to the improvement in communications over the years.

Regarding the 14 day law and distance thing, well that's really a problem which needs to be dealt with through our MP's. I'm personally happy with it but I do get a bit fed up with CRT making up rules as they go along due to pressure from a small number of boaters. In fact I still don't think CRT should be in the game of enforcement. It's a waste of our licence fees and donations.

Good luck with the filter. Reminds me I have to do mine soon.

Jenlyn took a bit of flack for this post, including being accused of misogyny. Perhaps this was the result of other issues I'm not privvy to, but at face value this doesn't seem to be an unreasonable question to ask of an elected representative.

We are all aware that there are a number of interpretations of CC so, since Stella stood with this writ large in her 150 words, I think it a fair question and would be interested to know the answer.

• Greenie 4

Jenlyn took a bit of flack for this post, including being accused of misogyny. Perhaps this was the result of other issues I'm not privvy to, but at face value this doesn't seem to be an unreasonable question to ask of an elected representative.

We are all aware that there are a number of interpretations of CC so, since Stella stood with this writ large in her 150 words, I think it a fair question and would be interested to know the answer.

I am used to Stella doing this. She accused me of the same on Facebook. It seems to be her only available reply when being asked questions that she cannot answer. All I am asking, is info on elected reps stating where they stand. Its really not difficult.

Lord knows what other council members will make of her if she accused them of the same.