Combination Padlock

1st ade

Featured Posts

A group of us are trying to secure a small property, canal-side, such that members of that group have easy access and that the general public is, at least, discouraged (Think tool store)

We currently have a reasonably secure padlock and an awful lot of keys. But if someone leaves the area and doesn't hand their key back we can end up buying a new lock and re-issuing a large number of keys. The costs mount up.

A combination padlock has been suggested. The problem is that anyone who knows the combination can re-set it. So an individual could decide to lock everyone else out.

We have found one (very expensive, ~£140) combination padlock which can be set once and once only. If we have to, we'll buy one and then, once a year bin it and buy a new one (and program it with a different number). But, as a Danish friend said, "It's shooting Starlings with a Cannon"

There must be a market for a combination lock where anyone who knows the number can get in but only one person can change it. Mustn't there? If anyone has any thoughts, please shout.

(For info - there is no power available and we don't want to go down the road of adding swipe card readers or electric locks)

Thanks - in anticipation

A group of us are trying to secure a small property, canal-side, such that members of that group have easy access and that the general public is, at least, discouraged (Think tool store)

We currently have a reasonably secure padlock and an awful lot of keys. But if someone leaves the area and doesn't hand their key back we can end up buying a new lock and re-issuing a large number of keys. The costs mount up.

A combination padlock has been suggested. The problem is that anyone who knows the combination can re-set it. So an individual could decide to lock everyone else out.

We have found one (very expensive, ~£140) combination padlock which can be set once and once only. If we have to, we'll buy one and then, once a year bin it and buy a new one (and program it with a different number). But, as a Danish friend said, "It's shooting Starlings with a Cannon"

There must be a market for a combination lock where anyone who knows the number can get in but only one person can change it. Mustn't there? If anyone has any thoughts, please shout.

(For info - there is no power available and we don't want to go down the road of adding swipe card readers or electric locks)

Thanks - in anticipation

Take a key deposit that adequately covers the costs of replacing them all if not returned.

Thanks - in anticipation

This any use.

http://www.nichelocks.com/Padlocks/SX-575-42mm-Combination-Padlock-with-Master-Key-Override-Feature?gclid=CLCZzMeW3skCFcgYGwoduMkCLg&zenid=82a6e48397b06ed853631d7ee75fb430

You need an Abus 180IB50 marine combination padlock. Highly resistant to corrosion, maintenance free, set by a little key and about 20 quid inc postage. We've had one on a communal gate for years.

Edited to add that the only person able to change the combination is the person who holds the settings key, and it's really easy to change when you need to.

ETA OK, so I quoted instead of editing! Oops!

Edited by Sea Dog

I have a Squire lock and it needs a little tool to recode it.

They are now a bit different in design to mine, but they still need a little tool.

http://www.squirelocks.co.uk/pdfs/fitting_instructions/squire_recoding_instructions_cp50.pdf

It may be a good idea to buy 2 locks, so that way you will have a spare recode tool for when you loose it. I put my recode tool in a safe place, so safe that even I can no longer find it

It doesn't take as long as you might think to try all of the combinations, less than 10 minutes for a three digit combination lock. During the 80's &90's they were used to protect certain areas where I used to work. You were supposed to rock up, call the national centre, identify yourself and ask for the combination. They would go and look it up and give it to you.

Whilst waiting I would start going through the combinations, 001, 002 etc. More often than not I would find the correct combination before the centre called me back.

It doesn't take as long as you might think to try all of the combinations, less than 10 minutes for a three digit combination lock. During the 80's &90's they were used to protect certain areas where I used to work. You were supposed to rock up, call the national centre, identify yourself and ask for the combination. They would go and look it up and give it to you.

Whilst waiting I would start going through the combinations, 001, 002 etc. More often than not I would find the correct combination before the centre called me back.

Not only that but cheaper four-number locks can be cracked by feel. Pull hard on the hasp and turn each of the number wheels. One will usually feels stiffer while pulling the hasp and you can feel it slacken when the correct digit is engaged. Now find the next wheel feeling slightly stiff and repeat. With a bit of care many combination locks can be opened this way.

Not only that but cheaper four-number locks can be cracked by feel. Pull hard on the hasp and turn each of the number wheels. One will usually feels stiffer while pulling the hasp and you can feel it slacken when the correct digit is engaged. Now find the next wheel feeling slightly stiff and repeat. With a bit of care many combination locks can be opened this way.

Wot mike says. It usually takes me just a couple of minutes. I know this (just in case anyone is wondering!) because we have combination locks in some of the gliding club sheds and occasionally the numbers get changed - by accident I think. But I've never been locked out for long even when all 4 numbers are different.

Lol I normally use this on my own combination locks, when I've forgotten which code I set them to!!

To get into my own storage unit I had to ask Sara to prompt me, she didn't know the combination either (I hadn't met her when I set it) but she kept making suggestions. "Stockport Bus Numbers" did it...

The padlock I lock Ripple with was a combination one, but you needed a device like a pin, but with two prongs, to set it. This meant I could lend the boat out without leaving keys anywhere and my family and friends couldn't lock me out of it when they'd finished.

Thanks - in anticipation

IF someone wanted to lock others out, what's to stop them putting their own padlock on?

Rob....

IF someone wanted to lock others out, what's to stop them putting their own padlock on?

Rob....

Biggest problem we've found is people setting it BACK to last years number. Presumably because they have "friends" who they told the number to (or have poor short term memory). But it locks out those with limited imagination or those who never knew last years number.

Biggest problem we've found is people setting it BACK to last years number. Presumably because they have "friends" who they told the number to (or have poor short term memory). But it locks out those with limited imagination or those who never knew last years number.

The Abus marine, as some others, has a reset key which means only one person can execute combination changes. Chose your 'responsible adult's wisely! ;)

Why not use short lengths of chain joined by multiple padlocks?

Everyone who needs access provides their own padlock and keeps their own key. Anyone can get in by unlocking their own lock.

If anyone leaves the group they can remove their padlock from the chain. If they don't, just get the bolt cutters out...

May not be practical if there are a large number of people though.