Don't slow down use spring lines, it's official

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

Maybe C&RT should set up a webpage to allow 'incorrectly moored boats' to be reported.

'3 strikes and you are out'

Licence cancelled and not renewed until the owner/master can provide evidence that they have been on a training course.

for those of us who are not on facebook can you cut and paste it

I'm not on facebook - just click it and it opens up a C&RT 'boaters updates' page

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/blogs/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-4-dec-2015#mooring

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I totally agree with the springer lines BUT lots of mooring rings around the system do not allow them to be used because of varying distance of spacing of said rings.

Also a correctly tied up boat will still roll as a boat passing steals the water this is more pronounced with V bottoms I believe.

I totally agree with the springer lines BUT lots of mooring rings around the system do not allow them to be used because of varying distance of spacing of said rings.

Also a correctly tied up boat will still roll as a boat passing steals the water this is more pronounced with V bottoms I believe.

You can use springs to tie to awkwardly spaced rings/bollards.....

for those of us who are not on facebook can you cut and paste it

Oi! Slow Down!

We all have our bug bears but, certainly in the inland boating world, one of the most common refrains I hear is ‘…going too fast past moored boats…’

Well, long-time narrow boater Nick Roberts, reflects on the problem and offers some advice:

“As a narrow boater of 40 years who is also a retired Master Mariner, on ships from ferries to supertankers, I’d like to take a deep intake of breath and suggest that we don’t have this problem properly addressed on the cut.

“Is having all boats passing all moored boats at tick over desirable or necessary? I think not. That said, any boat passing a moored one must, of course, show respect for the moored craft - especially in narrow and shallow canals. It must also slow down appropriately by judging the backwash the boat is causing. In the worst conditions that may mean tick over but it should also be incumbent on the moored boat to be… well… safely moored!

“At the risk of telling some what they already know, consider these two principles:

• Tension: A slack mooring will always allow the boat to move – and gain momentum – until the slack is removed! Or, put another way, if the mooring has no slack then the boat can’t move.
  • Direction: A mooring rope (even a tight mooring rope) will only prevent movement in line with its direction of pull (its 'lead').

“It’s probably best if I elaborate on that second point. A rope at right angles to the boat keel (a breast line) will do well at stopping the boat from moving off the bank, but it will do very little to stop the boat moving along the berth if another boat goes by.

“A rope running along the length of the boat (a spring line), on the other hand, will stop the boat from moving along the length of the berth (you need one from each end and in opposite directions!), but won’t keep the boat alongside.

“The ropes at 45 degrees to the boat (a head line and stern line) such as most boats are tied up to on the cut and are fine in tranquil conditions, will allow the boat to move when another passes if there is any backwash at all.

“If the ropes are slack, or fixed to a pin that can easily pull out or move, or taken to/from the boat at a steep angle, or even too elastic, then they will significantly contribute to the passing boat problem… potentially even if that boat is on tick over.

22885.jpg“A common scene? - Ropes out at both ends and centre.

“But the only thing that will stop the boat in the picture on the right from moving along the berth will be when it hits the boat in front or astern. The same four ropes rigged, tight, as a breast line and spring from both ends would keep her safe.

“Maybe we need to give a little more thought to those moorings and see avoiding a moored boat surging along the bank as a shared responsibility – we all slow to reduce backwash and we all moor safe and securely.”

Do you agree with Nick? Let us know your thoughts and we’ll follow this up in future editions.

Simon is right, just learn to use springs correctly and you won't have a problem. I learnt their value when we used to moor on the Broads, tidal mooring with spring tides that could run at 5 or 6 knots and the speed limit of 6mph and lots of passing boats travelling at their version of 6mph.

Phil

I've never understood the use of centre or roof lines when mooring, unless one of the fore or aft lines can't be deployed.It seems to be part of the modern mindset which I fail to understand. I will continue to pass moored boats on tick over, as I have done for many years, too set in my ways to change now....

Dave

Simon is right, just learn to use springs correctly and you won't have a problem. I learnt their value when we used to moor on the Broads, tidal mooring with spring tides that could run at 5 or 6 knots and the speed limit of 6mph and lots of passing boats travelling at their version of 6mph.

Phil

Do you not think there is a big difference between the broads and the canals. i.e. width of navigation and depth which have a massive effect on what happens when a boat speeds past a moored boat . Edited by Tisinca

I've never understood the use of centre or roof lines when mooring, unless one of the fore or aft lines can't be deployed.It seems to be part of the modern mindset which I fail to understand. I will continue to pass moored boats on tick over, as I have done for many years, too set in my ways to change now....

Dave

Dave

Quite agree - but I have been criticised for passing others TOO slowly (never them on the boats!).

We just use 2 short ropes at the bow, 45 deg (ish) to the bank, and one at the stern straight to the bank.

Our boat never moves.

Long springs are useful with a varying tide height, against a fixed harbour wall, but not really necessary on a floating pontoon or a canal bank. IMHO.

We just use 2 short ropes at the bow, 45 deg (ish) to the bank, and one at the stern straight to the bank.

Our boat never moves.

Long springs are useful with a varying tide height, against a fixed harbour wall, but not really necessary on a floating pontoon or a canal bank. IMHO.

Agree with that , Apart from when you are the only boat moored in the middle of a long straight . Then springs are advisable .

Agree with that , Apart from when you are the only boat moored in the middle of a long straight . Then springs are advisable .

I wasn't very clear - the two bow ropes go one forward and one aft. About 90 degrees apart at the bow horn. Long straights don't make any difference to us, the two bow lines are too short to stretch.

Dave

I see no problem with taking the polite approach and slowing down. I'm sure a bit of macrame mooring technique would help many moorers survive the speedster's lack of consideration. Having said that, a slackly moored boat will bounce around at almost any slow speed.

I wasn't very clear - the two bow ropes go one forward and one aft. About 90 degrees apart at the bow horn. Long straights don't make any difference to us, the two bow lines are too short to stretch.

Exactly what we do . Works a treat !

About time!

It is interesting when people take what they want to see from an article.

I certainly do not see this as an official statement about it being OK to speed by and folk need to use spring lines.

It is about encouraging people to tie correctly up to minimise boat movement but it also says that we are responsible for passing with care for the moored boats but when we moor we should do so better and ends with this

“Maybe we need to give a little more thought to those moorings and see avoiding a moored boat surging along the bank as a shared responsibility – we all slow to reduce backwash and we all moor safe and securely.”

Which seems to me to confirm what older and more experienced boatman have said i.e. "Moor your boat like there will be a storm and pass moored boats like they are made of glass"