Don't slow down use spring lines, it's official

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

The little 18" ones are useless as these work themselves loose with the help of passing boaters So I use these just to keep the boat against the bank with the rope at 90' angle. The 3ft ones the rope is at 45' or less to stop the boat going back and forward when a boat passes.

Sorry chum - I was joshing! I agree, the chandler ones are rather pathetic.

But if everyone used them when out and about, they will surely weaken the towpaths.

I have used these to secure a kids swing and large climbing frame. It doesn't take many stones or some debris below ground to stop them in their tracks.

If it doesn't move it won't weaken the towpaths, if it does it will. Those in the link wouldn't be good as they more likely hit stones on the way down.

I have 3' pins that are T shaped 5mm steel and these don't move.

It will weaken the towpaths if you used them and removed them regularly when moving on. Each one leaves behind a soft cylindrical area. They would be fine for more permanent moorings.

Even using pins at busy spots like below the locks at Audlem, softens the banks and makes it difficult to knock in a firm pin.