Pub Boat just crashed into my friend

GreenDuck

Featured Posts

It is legal to drink and boat for leisure boaters, but anyone who is being paid (as I image trip boat crew are) is subject to the alcohol limits set out in the Transport and Works Act 1992 - which are the same as the road driver limits.

I suppose it depends on the meaning of "to drink" and the amount acceptable, at what stage is someone 'intoxicated' or incapable of having 'proper control' ?

The Law actually states :

Intoxicated persons

44. No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.

I suppose it depends on the meaning of "to drink" and the amount acceptable, at what stage is someone 'intoxicated' or incapable of having 'proper control' ?

Intoxicated persons

44. No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.

My insurance states losses resulting from "any act or omission of the person in charge of the Vessel if they were impaired following the consumption of alcohol or drugs" are excluded. If the boat concerned had the same clause then I'm not surprised the skipper was fired.

I think draconian is a bit harsh Graham I am only looking at the safety of other people living peacefully on their boats.

Sorry, but your posting seems to imply that no-one should be allowed to navigate at night. (even with all the correct lighting). There are many here who do navigate after dark and there are many trip boats who do exactly the same thing perfectly safely.

Sorry, but your posting seems to imply that no-one should be allowed to navigate at night. (even with all the correct lighting). There are many here who do navigate after dark and there are many trip boats who do exactly the same thing perfectly safely.

There are several people who think that

It is legal to drink and boat for leisure boaters, but anyone who is being paid (as I image trip boat crew are) is subject to the alcohol limits set out in the Transport and Works Act 1992 - which are the same as the road driver limits.

PLA (which I think covers the tideway) states

Under PLA Byelaws the master of a vessel (including recreational vessels) shall not navigate when unfit by reason of drink or drugs e.g. having 35 micrograms of alcohol or more in 100 millilitres of breath. Or, if the Harbourmaster has reasonable cause to suspect that a Master’s fitness to navigate is impaired by having drink or drugs in his body, he may issue a direction to the Master, which if not complied with is also an offence.

and the CRT "Boaters Handbook" states:

Don’t drink and drive – as relevant for boats as cars – alcohol impairs your judgement and makes accidents more likely.

So Its not totally "It is legal to drink and boat for leisure boaters"

Intoxicated persons

Indeed I was being brief. But the TWA requirement for paid employees has a specific alcohol limit, whereas the bylaws (which apply to all boaters) are less definitive.

Intoxicated persons

Even more stringent if you're working aboard an MCA registered vessel- I.e. Carrying more than 12 passengers.

As MGN 448 states, you can't have more than 25mg per litre of breath- you can have up to 35mg if driving.

Even more stringent if you're working aboard an MCA registered vessel- I.e. Carrying more than 12 passengers.

As MGN 448 states, you can't have more than 25mg per litre of breath- you can have up to 35mg if driving.

And if its the boat that has been suggested its licenced for 40+ passengers

Lets nip that in the bud shall we or I'll be out of a job.

Strange thing is that the big old boats like yours often carrying a lot of weight that come by early morning or late night cause the least disturbance.

Their engines make good alarm clocks - I would rather be awakened by a deep,steady "ker-clunk" then by a little clock yelling "dingdingbloodyding" at me.

Now, if there was an actual alarm clock which went "ker-clunk", I would be in the market for one.

Their engines make good alarm clocks - I would rather be awakened by a deep,steady "ker-clunk" then by a little clock yelling "dingdingbloodyding" at me.

Now, if there was an actual alarm clock which went "ker-clunk", I would be in the market for one.

Down load this:

Convert it into an mp3, load the sound track on your phone and you have a "Ker-clunk" alarm.

No I was just suggesting trip boats as the risk and distractions are higher than a personal boat in an environment where one needs to be alert.

My consearn is safety nothing else.

A bit likes saying "sorry mate, the chap that drives my taxi was pissed last night when he hit your parked car"

Excellent point because the answer in relation to that can be "well other people are allowed to drive around in the dark even after a few beers because they have head lights and it's all part of the enjoyment so chill and let me pay for the damage"

Madness isn't it or is it??

Down load this:

Convert it into an mp3, load the sound track on your phone and you have a "Ker-clunk" alarm.

Badger was alongside when Mike filmed this. I did offer him the opportunity to film a proper (Gardner) engine being started but for some strange reason he declined!

George ex nb Alton retired

Very good, Ray, and an excellent instructional insight into the dark arts of the Bolinder.

Trouble is, we don't have a telephone in the bedroom! But thank you for the kind thought.

We do but I dont know how to put it on my phone

Excellent point because the answer in relation to that can be "well other people are allowed to drive around in the dark even after a few beers because they have head lights and it's all part of the enjoyment so chill and let me pay for the damage"

Madness isn't it or is it?

I have no problem it being night, its being pissed that gets me

We do but I don't know how to put it on my phone

I have no problem it being night, its being pissed that gets me

I perhaps should have been a little clearer, I was referring to a mobile phone. Using available software it is possible to convert the sound track to MP3 / 4, then down load onto your mobile device using your PC. Then set as ring / alarm tone.

Edited by Ray T