Gas bottle humming

Sue

Featured Posts

Its not unusual for pressure reducing valves to make a noise as the diaphragm vibrates when the gas moves through.

It certainly happens in high pressure units and in normal garage compressors. A propane reducer sometimes emits a slight noise in

use but I have never heard it from inside the boat. I would not regard it as a definite fault but its always better from the peace of mind angle to replace it if in any doubt.

Its not unusual for pressure reducing valves to make a noise as the diaphragm vibrates when the gas moves through.

It certainly happens in high pressure units and in normal garage compressors. A propane reducer sometimes emits a slight noise in

use but I have never heard it from inside the boat. I would not regard it as a definite fault but its always better from the peace of mind angle to replace it if in any doubt.

Maybe it resonates more when mounted on top of an almost empty gas cylinder so is more audible

Yeah thanks for the advice. I have a spare regulator and it is about time the gas should be running out. It's not an auto change over but maybe it will shut up when I swap to the new bottle.

It isn't bothering me much just wanted to see if you thought it was safe enough to leave as is and it sounds like it is. I'll change the regulator if it stops working.

Oh Jaq has a hum on her boat too eh Les? tongue.png

Yeah thanks for the advice. I have a spare regulator and it is about time the gas should be running out. It's not an auto change over but maybe it will shut up when I swap to the new bottle.

It isn't bothering me much just wanted to see if you thought it was safe enough to leave as is and it sounds like it is. I'll change the regulator if it stops working.

Oh Jaq has a hum on her boat too eh Les? tongue.png

I had this problem a while ago. Would hum only on one side.

Went to shop for a new reg' and the guy said to try changing the flexy pipe first, which I did.

Problem solved.

Rob....

I had this problem a while ago. Would hum only on one side.

Went to shop for a new reg' and the guy said to try changing the flexy pipe first, which I did.

Problem solved.

Rob....

That's interesting. I've never actually attempted to fix the quiet humming mine makes. Changing the regulator is probably quicker and cheaper though!

That's interesting. I've never actually attempted to fix the quiet humming mine makes. Changing the regulator is probably quicker and cheaper though!

The guy in the shop said that he'd seen it before (something to do with the little washer vibrating) and to try the tail first

as it was cheaper than a reg'.

Mind you, mine was loud enough to make people comment on it.

Rob....

The guy in the shop said that he'd seen it before (something to do with the little washer vibrating) and to try the tail first

as it was cheaper than a reg'.

Mind you, mine was loud enough to make people comment on it.

Rob....

Is your regulator fixed to the bulkhead with high pressure tails to the bottles? Or does it screw directly into the gas bottle and have a low pressure flexible hose to the bulkhead fitting?

If the former, high pressure tails have non-return valves in the ends. These can easily emit a humming noise so my original comment that it will be the regulator is actually not necessarily right.

Is your regulator fixed to the bulkhead with high pressure tails to the bottles? Or does it screw directly into the gas bottle and have a low pressure flexible hose to the bulkhead fitting?

If the former, high pressure tails have non-return valves in the ends. These can easily emit a humming noise so my original comment that it will be the regulator is actually not necessarily right.

Sorry for the delay, been out getting wet and windy.

It's the former.

Rob....