Vintage Engines: Which ones are the simplest to maintain?

anniedesigner

Featured Posts

I'm sorry - this is nonsense. Most 'vintage engines need the same as a modern on - oil and filter changes. Except they are easier to access. And often don't have filters

A service on something like a Gardner or a JP is much easier than on a Beta

Richard

Why is it easier then on the Beta Tug Engine in an engine room

Any vintage engine in good condition will 'start on the button' in cold weather. If it doesn't, it's knackered.

Couldn't agree more.

My Kelvin was always a bit difficult to start in cold weather. However, after new rings and pistons it always starts first go, so I fitted this starter button smile.png.

post-5123-0-06215700-1446483389_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 2

Couldn't agree more.

My Kelvin was always a bit difficult to start in cold weather. However, after new rings and pistons it always starts first go, so I fitted this starter button smile.png.

Brilliant! I've seen boats with 'bus windows but never on with a 'bus bell-push! Have a green entertainment award.

Couldn't agree more.

Thinking alike that was exactly the OTT start button I intended to fit but settled for this one instead smile.png

IMG_3558.JPG

Typically I press the button for a second or less, release it then wait for engine to start wink.png

Edited by by'eck

Gardner 2LW here. No key. No preheat. No need to adjust throttle.

I just flick a switch then the starter button. If very cold, depress the cold start latch first which automatically unlatches when it fires up.

Edited by mark99

Misery guts here -

A 'vintage engine' is a joy, god wot, but the OP is a newbie, wants easy maintenance, has said nothing about any desire to polish and of the suggested engines (they must be polished, kept shining - for the delectation of Lesser mortals - like wot I am).

for a beginner the manipulation of speed wheels and gear selector rods may be a challenge too far... Unless of course she takes on board the differences and accepts those(so called) disadvantages.

That's a whole lot more than ease of maintenance. Still I wouldn't want to dissuade her.

Couldn't agree more.

post-5123-0-06215700-1446483389_thumb.jp

Love it! My dad got one of those and installed it as a doorbell.

Misery guts here -

A 'vintage engine' is a joy, god wot, but the OP is a newbie, wants easy maintenance, has said nothing about any desire to polish and of the suggested engines (they must be polished, kept shining - for the delectation of Lesser mortals - like wot I am).

for a beginner the manipulation of speed wheels and gear selector rods may be a challenge too far... Unless of course she takes on board the differences and accepts those(so called) disadvantages.

That's a whole lot more than ease of maintenance. Still I wouldn't want to dissuade her.

Once again I disagree with you. A Gardner LW for example commonly has a PRM260 transmission so can be controlled with the same Morse/Teleflex single lever control universally used with modern buzzy engines.

Vintage engines and simple maintenance don't tend to go hand in hand. It also depends on what you class as 'simple'.

I think you are confusing maintenance with repairing.

The OP asked about maintenance. Maintaining a vintage engine is much the same as a modern engine but usually easier and simpler because access is better.

Fixing the pesky things when they break is a different kettle of fish. I can't call Gleniffer or Skandia for new big end shells like if I had a Beta (even a BD3!) as those manufacturers no longer exist. Getting spares is a whole nother level of complication.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Once again I disagree with you. A Gardner LW for example commonly has a PRM260 transmission so can be controlled with the same Morse/Teleflex single lever control universally used with modern buzzy engines.

Well you usually do.....

To my mind, if you're going to have a trad engine then you're honour bound to do the full monty. Heavens - its like having an Edwardian car and chroming the radiator....

So too keep you happy, perhaps I should say something like " a trad engine may well have a speed wheel and lever controls, which you may find daunting at first "

Gardner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fl6smwZJw

Lister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vak6DaNWI3A

(some may object over the choice of example video's! smile.png )

Gardner - lovely

Lister - for heavens sake don't put the lady off completely.

Water cooled Listers are lovely.

Yep count me as one wink.png Try this as a replacement

Now that's what I mean as a slow canter.....

To my mind, if you're going to have a trad engine then you're honour bound to do the full monty.

Our trad engine has the full morsy. As neither of us has three hands, we decided against a speedwheel & push-pull set-up. I wouldn't mind having a go on someone else's to see what it's like, but I'm content with the single-lever "Morse" control on Trojan.

Our trad engine has the full morsy. As neither of us has three hands, we decided against a speedwheel & push-pull set-up. I wouldn't mind having a go on someone else's to see what it's like, but I'm content with the single-lever "Morse" control on Trojan.

Once you get used to the twin wheel/lever arrangement it becomes quicker to operate than a Morse setup. Particularly appropriate to a vintage diesel charging batteries whilst operating locks, as the speedwheel allows easy adjustment of idle revs.

Where are you going with this? Will you buy a boat with a Lister and swap it for a Kelvin? No, you'll stick with the engine in the boat. Buy a boat that you like, you'll learn to live with it

Richard

I like that, I fancy a RN or a Gardner 3 cylinder to replace my BD3, but the BD3 set up works, I may be mucking about for years with a RN or Gardner.

I know it's probably not vintage but I am a big fan of our easily maintained 1970s twin pot Sabb. Starts easily, sounds lovely and is powerful enough for the canals and rivers in our 57ft boat.

I missed out on one of those, The chap sold it to a scrapy for £100

Once you get used to the twin wheel/lever arrangement it becomes quicker to operate than a Morse setup. Particularly appropriate to a vintage diesel charging batteries whilst operating locks, as the speedwheel allows easy adjustment of idle revs.

Agree, don't have a vintage engine but do have a speed wheel and a push/pull

Three hands? We manage perfectly well using one hand on Fulbourne's gear wheel and speed wheel, with the other hand on the tiller.