BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

Certainly

Team Tawny Owl: RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, two Moomins, Smudge, Purple Fairy, Wrigglefingers, Robert the Geek, Anne the tea girl and Treemonkey (litter tray)
Dotterel: Graham, Claire, Tom, Rebecca, Sheila
Team Beau: Dave_P, Luscious Louise
Dove: dove (Andy)
​Diesel and Dust: Tom and Bex plus small sprog and cat
Rufford: (?)
Red Wharf©: Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat
Vulpes: Captain Pegg, Rob-M, Daniel
NB Firefly: John6767, Sally the cake
City of Durham: NickandAnne
Team Payne: Dave Payne
BARBAR ANNE: shep 1 (bar-bar-bar, bar-bar-bar-anne)
davehull
Carpe Vinum: Kustomcut
EMU: SarahAVFC
Team Clarrie©: Laurie & Alison Booth
I've changed my mind. Using Hedonism to describe the exploits of Team Clarrie is just wrong. I'm re-titling this group the Clarrie class ©
Richard

..... where's the best place to start from? wink.png

LCx

This year? Watford

Richard

*off to re-check the diary having decided once already that I couldn't face a weekend of prop clearing*

I am sure you can find a willing volunteer to do that in return for a weekend on Halsall. Not sure yet whether Rob-M has twigged that Vulpes doesn't have a weed hatch.

JP

I am sure you can find a willing volunteer to do that in return for a weekend on Halsall. Not sure yet whether Rob-M has twigged that Vulpes doesn't have a weed hatch.

JP

Did you just hear distant screaming?

Richard

JP

Isn't that what Daniel is for so you can dangle him over the stern to clear the blades...?

Isn't that what Daniel is for so you can dangle him over the stern to clear the blades...?

If only.

One evening during Easter week I could be found doing exactly that without a shirt on outside the NIA.

I am paying a quick visit to Vulpes shortly. Will have a quick look at Scorpio; saw it arrive on Thursday. I note that Atlas has had a weed hatch fitted over the winter. Gone soft on the D of E candidates.

JP

*off to re-check the diary having decided once already that I couldn't face a weekend of prop clearing*

Peter X is looking for a place.

He says he has experience of locking and steering, maybe it's time he learned about prop clearingblink.png

(and he has experience of Nuneaton and Brighton, I don't suppose there's a weed hatch there either.

Sue

Peter X is looking for a place.

He says he has experience of locking and steering, maybe it's time he learned about prop clearing:blink:

(and he has experience of Nuneaton and Brighton, I don't suppose there's a weed hatch there either.

Sue

Is he used to using a bag of coal as a pillow though? Surely that's the important thing.

JP

Unfortunately we have had to pull Old Friends out of the challenge this year, booked work was making it difficult to get the boat there and back to reasonable travelling distance in time, and now my Dads, hip replacement operation has been brought forward to next week which will mean much commuting to Blackpool and back for 6 - 8 weeks or more.

A shame, as its a cracking good time - it does mean that Kiwidad may be available as crew - good at locks, steering and getting rid of any cheap lager on the boat), or even entering Ashdown (which might mean we can still do it).

Any additions, subtractions, modifications, animals, team names? I believe that Red Wharf will be following the Clarrie/Cat That Walks By Himself pattern this year and eschewing points in favour of comfort. I'm declaring this the Hedonism category

I feel there should be a prize for coming second to last.

Any idiot can come last but second to last requires dedication, training and hard work!

laugh.png

This year? Watford

On the BCN?

I'm taking notes ...

Would I get extra points for Watford?

If I start at the Old Swan I might never leave - it sounds very good.

Sue, any chance you could be a teensie bit more specific?

LCx

LC, I'm no expert but I understand the aim is to get to as many little used, perverse and difficult bits as you can, with points being awarded for the most punishing route . So a 'good' place to start probably involves reversing through a flight of locks or using a turfer to get through bridges holes.

LC, I'm no expert but I understand the aim is to get to as many little used, perverse and difficult bits as you can, with points being awarded for the most punishing route . So a 'good' place to start probably involves reversing through a flight of locks or using a turfer to get through bridges holes.

The objective is to promote the use of the BCN, but that aside the objective for a good placing is to score as many points as possible, and arrive at the finish before the beer runs out :)

Locks are not necessarily the way to get more points, that depends on the boat and crew. The changing rules mean it is not the same year to year either. At the end of the day it is a mathematical problem, backed up by efficient execution.

You can take a calculated risk and plan a route exactly 24 hours in duration (given your known or best estimate at speeds and lock time taken) but then if there's a problem, you're going to be late (Factory locks in 2015). Or you can factor in the chance there might be delays and plan a slightly lesser route. Ideally you'd have an optional "bit" towards the end but then everyone else would be doing that too (witness how busy Titford locks and Park Lane were in 2014).

To determine the "best" route given known boat speed and lock speeds, its a case of planning routes and seeing how long they'd take, obviously remember that there's some 3x sections and some 1x sections. So its worth seeking out those 3x sections during the planning so that you can do as many as possible etc.

Good starting point. But id never leave!

Good luck with the challenge, hope to see you over the summer.

Hope to see you soon, plan to go up the Maccy this summer.

I feel there should be a prize for coming second to last.

Any idiot can come last but second to last requires dedication, training and hard work!

laugh.png

I'll have you know it takes incredible skill to come last.

:)

Is that your starting point, over nighting point and general hanging around in point to ensure you don't rack up too many lock miles?

Yep

:)

Team Tawny Owl: RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, two Moomins, Smudge, Purple Fairy, Wrigglefingers, Robert the Geek, Anne the tea girl and Treemonkey (litter tray)

davehull

EMU: SarahAVFC, M589

Any more updates?

Richard

davehull

Any more updates?

Richard

Team Boatless Leggitt - Odana and Black Beauty on foot this year, just for a change.

Team Cat - Nine of Hearts and Jo.

davehull
Team Boatless Leggitt (F) - Odana and Black Beauty on foot this year, just for a change.

Team Cat© - Nine of Hearts and Jo.
Any more?
The on foot category (F) is a new one. I'm putting The Cat into the Clarrie category until proved otherwise. I've woken them up outside The Manor Arms before
Richard