Fishermen rights

pendle

Featured Posts

On a fishing match day who has priority over visitors moorings?

I have just been told by Mr Grumpy that I could not moor between fishermen who are partaking in a fishing match.

Needless to say I have done!!

• Greenie 1

Dont know but I moored up early on the GU years ago along with lots of other boats due to high winds, the next morning I had a fisherman on my rear deck setting up early in the morning because I was on his peg Marcus my GSD sorted out that problem. I did think that all visitors moorings were non fishing areas though

• Greenie 1

I ran into the national fishing competition a year or so back, and every visitor mooring and most lock landings from Wheaton Ashton to Tixall was being fished from. There were some words spoken at a few locks as a whole day of the blighters didn't do my temper much good.

I have just been told by Mr Grumpy that I could not moor between fishermen who are partaking in a fishing match.

They shouldn't be fishing from moorings or lock landings, match or no match. If the fisherman complain, say you aren't meant to be on a mooring / lock landing and if you've given this spot by organisers you should complain to them.

Fishermen are allowed to fish from visitor moorings if they have got there before a boat and they have a licence.

They are not allowed to fish from lock landings.

It seems it depends on whether the VM's are signed as such and the time of year. (not sure how they define 'boating season though)

Waterway Wanderers fishing rules
Permit holders may use a maximum of two rods.
No native fish species to be removed from the fishery under any circumstances.
Zander and non native crayfish must not be returned to the water once caught.
No fishing in the close season on waters where the close season currently applies.
Keepnets may be used but anglers must adhere to the Angling Trust keepnet code.
Permits must be carried at all times and must be made available to authorised bailiffs and Canal & River Trust staff on demand.
Anglers are strongly advised to hold insurance covering their third party risk arising out of their angling activities. (included as part of individual Angling Trust membership)
All permit holders are required to hold an Environment Agency rod licence
No fishing in the vicinity of overhead powerlines as signed by Canal & River Trust.
Fishing must not take place within 25 metres of a lock approach, swing bridge or water point.
No fishing between boats on permanent towing path moorings or at visitor moorings where so signed.
Where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.
Anglers are requested to follow the spirit of the Waterways Code and act responsibly at all times.
Edited by MJG

Those rules are general rather than for set out "matches" as they mention the use of 2 rods, which is not allowed in a match. Clearly, they don't include lock landings either. Whilst the individual angling clubs will be responsible for getting the rules out to their members, I think it's incumbent upon CRT to provide the clubs with those rules which deconflict boating and angling. Anglers, boaters, or both, having to guess or interpret rules is a recipe for unnecessary conflict between 2 sets of users who otherwise have a great deal of common interest and should be firm allies. It's not hard to imagine how this could be achieved given sound leadership from CRT.

Edited to remove auto correct apostrophe.

Edited by Sea Dog

It seems it depends on whether the VM's are signed as such and the time of year. (not sure how they define 'boating season though)

Waterway Wanderers fishing rules
Permit holders may use a maximum of two rods.
No native fish species to be removed from the fishery under any circumstances.
Zander and non native crayfish must not be returned to the water once caught.
No fishing in the close season on waters where the close season currently applies.
Keepnets may be used but anglers must adhere to the Angling Trust keepnet code.
Permits must be carried at all times and must be made available to authorised bailiffs and Canal & River Trust staff on demand.
Anglers are strongly advised to hold insurance covering their third party risk arising out of their angling activities. (included as part of individual Angling Trust membership)
All permit holders are required to hold an Environment Agency rod licence
No fishing in the vicinity of overhead powerlines as signed by Canal & River Trust.
Fishing must not take place within 25 metres of a lock approach, swing bridge or water point.
No fishing between boats on permanent towing path moorings or at visitor moorings where so signed.
Where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.
Anglers are requested to follow the spirit of the Waterways Code and act responsibly at all times.

Which "boating season" would that be then?

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Which "boating season" would that be then?

George ex nb Alton retired

No idea that's why I said this in my first line.

Fishermen have the right to smile.

They just refuse to exercise that right

Funnily enough, I was just going to ask if it is a condition of the angling licence that you have to look miserable. It's as if every fish they pull out whispers "Your dog has died" or "Your wife is having an affair with the milkman" to them.

I am told that many fish to get away from a nagging wife so quite why they are miserable sitting in glorious surroundings with several grand's worth of fishing gear nag free is beyond me . I have never seen a happy one indeed most are pretty rude .. Not quite sure what the point of it all is but hey ho each to their own .

Steady on chaps
Some of us fish as well as boat

biggrin.png

I am sure there are happy ones just never met one . Nothing personal

Almost suprised by some of the stupid posts above. Have passed a load of anglers fishing a match this morning, had a right good laugh with them all. Spoke to another Friday, he was fishing a winding hole that I winded in. I apologised for disturbing his swim and he said no problem, he added without that without boats there is no canal. Anglers are like boaters, some happy some not. I suspect a few posters above are the latter.

Ian .

If we want fish in the canals then for them to breed in peace they need a close season this I believe applies to Rivers .Does it also apply to canals ?

No close season on canals, was abolished about 15 years ago

Shh! Don't tell the Natonal Trust that! Already have enough fishermen staring across at us while we eat breakfast...

You are OK the law that allowed it to be abolished only applies to still waters, lakes and canals, it doesn't apply to rivers.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me that rarely encounters any grumpy fishermen Ian! Same as with anyone else really - a smile or a cheery wave rarely goes unanswered. I think few of us realise how seriously most fishermen, and all match fishermen, take their business. Match fishermen in particular are concentrating very hard in what they're doing and are much busier than a non-fisherman could possibly imagine. We're natural allies in my opinion and Sustrans will happily tarmac over us both!