What are the Clocks on Pigeon Boxes ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

This thread must constitute something of a record.

A question is asked; two minutes later a correct and definitive answer is given; then a few minutes later an excellent illuminating picture is posted; finally a thankful original poster's response.

I'm waiting to see if this develops in the usual forum manner tongue.png.

• Greenie 1

None save decoration. Boats were pulled by horses initially, with the coming of motor boats, some of the horse bits seem to have found their way on to them. The ring at the bottom of the chimney may well have originally been a rein guide.

Dave

A question is asked; two minutes later a correct and definitive answer is given; then a few minutes later an excellent illuminating picture is posted; finally a thankful original poster's response.

Pedant alert!

The posted picture does not show a gauge on a pigeon box, it shows a roof mounted gauge that happens to be near a pigeon box!

(Which, returning to being serious, I would estimate to be the far more common arrangement).

I blame CRT for this unsually good natured thread...

From observation, it's a device fitted to the pigeon box to worry Lister owners

Richard

Never a truer word spoken. I get fixated on mine. I even have a little cover I can stuff over it if it gets too much. Like those bags you put over birds heads. smile.png

ETA jeeeez ....I mean real birds NOT women.

Just in case - I mean HOODS!

help

Edited by mark99

Never a truer word spoken. I get fixated on mine. I even have a little cover I can stuff over it if it gets too much. Like those bags you put over birds heads. smile.png

ETA jeeeez ....I mean real birds NOT women.

Just in case - I mean HOODS!

help

Stop digging!

George ex nb Alton retired

From today there is a 5p per bag charge.....

Not if you kill the bird first - it thereby becomes raw meat, which is exempt (though not an exemption of which you are ever likely to take advantage, I realise).

Well said. Give it time and we will see discussion of homing pigeons, some criticism of CRT, a few personal insults and what started off as an innocent question may result in a locked topic.

Well said. Give it time and we will see discussion of homing pigeons, some criticism of CRT, a few personal insults and what started off as an innocent question may result in a locked topic.

Then you'll get some stickler for accurate English who will point out that the correct spelling is "gauge", not "guage". Have these people got nothing better to do?

Then you'll get some stickler for accurate English who will point out that the correct spelling is "gauge", not "guage". Have these people got nothing better to do?

It's not difficult to spot other people's typos. What is harder is to resist commenting on them. The best way to discourage the critics is to point out the errors in their criticism.

They are gauges for people who can't afford a proper engine, instead they have to resurrect some unreliable old lump left over from WW2 and stored in a barn for 50 years, and so need a gauge (usually oil pressure) in their faces due to the propensity of the engine to dump all its oil, lose drive to the oil pump etc at a moment's notice.

Oh sorry, I thought this was madcat's argument thread!

Edited by nicknorman