Breaking News!....

churchward

Featured Posts

.... Boater has good time on CRT waters!

I know it is an oddity but having just returned home from a very refreshing and enjoyable trip across from the Llangollen on the middlewhich branch and down onto the river Weaver for a few days I have to say we had a great time.

Nothing horrible happened. There were no rude people, no unhelpful lock volunteers, no CRT breathing down my neck. Am I just lucky? Devoid of all internet access there was not even the doom sayers to add any bitter flavour to the enjoyment of boating.

The use of the Anderton lift was of course a highlight which I liken to be allowed to climb then ski down one of the great pyramids in Egypt. It's been a while since my first visit in the 1970s and use of the lift. The experience is different now I suppose with much more emphasis on procedures and safety etc. The first time was just turn up and get on. That's the modern world for you the lift was looking much better than I remember and the surrounding visitor centre development very good I thought. I will not leave it so long before going again.

The river was great by the way, peaceful with some very enjoyable mooring places.

I know it is an oddity but having just returned home from a very refreshing and enjoyable trip across from the Llangollen on the middlewhich branch and down onto the river Weaver for a few days I have to say we had a great time.

Nothing horrible happened. There were no rude people, no unhelpful lock volunteers, no CRT breathing down my neck. Am I just lucky? Devoid of all internet access there was not even the doom sayers to add any bitter flavour to the enjoyment of boating.

The use of the Anderton lift was of course a highlight which I liken to be allowed to climb then ski down one of the great pyramids in Egypt. It's been a while since my first visit in the 1970s and use of the lift. The experience is different now I suppose with much more emphasis on procedures and safety etc. The first time was just turn up and get on. That's the modern world for you the lift was looking much better than I remember and the surrounding visitor centre development very good I thought. I will not leave it so long before going again.

The river was great by the way, peaceful with some very enjoyable mooring places.

A post like that has no place on the whinge fest this forum is becoming......it should be deleted forthwith..

Should get my boat back this week after extensive surgery. The forums a way of getting grumbles out of the system - the real thing is still a haven of peace and quiet which I've really missed this year.

I hope you can get out on your boat soon. I hope it helps you recover all the sooner it's a great way to recharge.

Should get my boat back this week after extensive surgery. The forums a way of getting grumbles out of the system - the real thing is still a haven of peace and quiet which I've really missed this year.

It would be good to see photos of the plating if you have them, and hear about the process if you feel inclined to share. My boat is 23 years old so it may not be too long before your experiences would be beneficial to me and others.

Rog

I think those two paragraphs say it all, and explain quite simply how all this fuss comes about.

Rather like the winter months, where we have no overstayers, no waterpoint hoggers and no congestion.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. biggrin.png

I had the same Anderton experience 70s first time then 2011 amazing not a lot of changes on the Weaver .ICI as was not so busy and not the big boats about .

The only differences I found on the Weaver was that there was no commercial traffic this time and the river had a cleaner more natural feel to it than I remember. I have seldom seen so many Cormorants, Herons and diving ducks on a stretch of water so there must be plenty of fish about and other food in the river.

I bet it rained and was a little chilly at times

And some locks would have been against you

frusty.gif

The first is our British weather over which I have no control so I take it as it comes. The weather though was great mostly rather sunny and quite warm we did light the fire a couple of evenings but didn't need it during the day.

Some locks were indeed against us but that's boating and on the Weaver the locks are opened for you.

The Weaver's lovely - I was amazed how few boats were on it.

We did the Anderton Lift twice the year before last - the second time because our son visited us just after we came back up and wanted to do it.

Devil's Garden is one of my favourite places on the system.

Well he can't moan about boating can he laugh.pnglaugh.png

Ah that old chestnut....."you don't own a boat so you can't comment".

You really should get a new script.

Isn't this moaning about people moaning.

How so very strange you should pop up at the mention of the forum becoming a 'whinge fest' -

I feel my comment is quite factual in this particular instance. Therefore, I suggest you should perhaps look elsewhere for your "chestnuts" lol.

You don't need to own a boat to go boating, surely you understand this?

How so very strange you should pop up at the mention of the forum becoming a 'whinge fest' -

So the forum being how it is, is my fault is it?

You don't need to own a boat to go boating, surely you understand this?

So your interaction with CRT consists of what exactly?

It would be good to see photos of the plating if you have them, and hear about the process if you feel inclined to share. My boat is 23 years old so it may not be too long before your experiences would be beneficial to me and others.

Rog

I'll try to get some this week - so far the process is painless but expensive, exacerbated by my simultaneous destruction of a couple of discs in my back.