Breaking News!....

churchward

Featured Posts

It comes from ergot which is found in mould on rye grains. Which lead to whole towns in the Middle Ages going "mad" I think this is what foxy is referring to. In which case it would have to be rye bread that mike has left mouldering on his boat.

Regards kris

Yes I expect that was the reference but ergot is not LSD but it has similar properties. LSD was a laboratory synthesized chemical using ergot alkaloids. you might grow ergot on rye bread but you won't grow LSD and eating rotten bread was not how Hoffman discovered LSDs most notable attributes.

I still claim to have enjoyed my boating free from any hallucinogen.

LOL did the title of the pic "Leighton Buzzard Ducks" give it away? clapping.gif

I didn't see the title of the picture as it happens this time :)

Or more correctly, Leighton Bizzard.

Not many people know that...

:)

Sorry MtB just worked out what you were on avout. Did not see the title on Bettie Boo's photo. When Bizzard posted his picture with the train the link had an error which copied the text to the forum post. This didn't happen with BB's post earlier. It was a guess based on looking at the picture.

Well as it happens, I had GREAT weekend of boating completely spoiled at the end.

You see, by mistake I left half a loaf of really nice bread in the bread bin on the boat instead of bringing it home with me. So in a few days it will be a pile of mould and be wasted. Disaster!

Obviously CRT's fault, the bar stewards...

Leaving the bread was A GOOD THING.

You are now well on your way to a low carb diet

It comes from ergot which is found in mould on rye grains. Which lead to whole towns in the Middle Ages going "mad" I think this is what foxy is referring to. In which case it would have to be rye bread that mike has left mouldering on his boat.

Regards kris

Thanks Kris, that's the stuff, and it was those very middle ages folks I had in mind when imagining the effect on the ducks, who I don't think should be subjected to mouldy bread.

'Course, there was a bit of license taking there to get to ducks on LSD, but I wasn't expecting so much expert scrutiny. ;)

You don't need to own a boat to go boating, surely you understand this?

After my first three weeks on a boat I believe this. You can get a lot of the experience by just walking along the towpath between locks with a windlass in your hand and a bunch of weird keys on a cork in your pocket! I've walked about twice as far as my boat has moved since I started!

Not complaining though. It's been a great fitness program if nothing else, and all the ducks, geese, dogs (and occasionally their owners) and the views make up for all the effort. biggrin.png

How busy are the public moorings in Ely?

Not a single boat passed us on the Wissey yesterday; heading up that way today.

MP.

No boats at all between the northern railway bridge and the bridge into the marina, apart from one next to the art gallery / antiques place - using scaffold poles to hold themselves away from the bank.

I didn't go beyond the bridge & so don't know what it is like the other side. But the £100 a day charge (after 48 hours) seems to be working.

No boats at all between the northern railway bridge and the bridge into the marina, apart from one next to the art gallery / antiques place - using scaffold poles to hold themselves away from the bank.

I didn't go beyond the bridge & so don't know what it is like the other side. But the £100 a day charge (after 48 hours) seems to be working.

Good to hear, thanks. All the moorings are remarkably quiet. Three cruisers on the Jenyns Arms mooring, and the rest of Denver empty. We had the GOBA moorings at the bottom of the Wissey to ourselves on Saturday night.

MP.

Regards kris

St Vitas Dance I think.I often wondered what we were making from Ergot but Hey! Man! The colours!

St Vitas Dance I think.I often wondered what we were making from Ergot but Hey! Man! The colours!

St vitas dance is the historical name for sydenhams chorea which is a neurological disease. I don't think the onset is linked to ergot but I am not sure but it can be sparked off but a number of causes.

St Vitas dance is caused BT a streptococcal infection often associated with rheumatic fever

Ergot poisoning is known as st Antony's fire.

Regards kris

As I said a few posts back!